Is there anything worth watching? (The TV Thread)

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:05 pm

For those in the UK, "The Great Green Smoke Screen" looks an interesting documentary on C4 @ 8pm tonight!
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:41 pm

gdh82 wrote:For those in the UK, "The Great Green Smoke Screen" looks an interesting documentary on C4 @ 8pm tonight!

That will clash with Eastenders. In a house full of women, I've got no chance!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:44 pm

I finally watched that documentary about Bernard Manning through Cables VOD. Did anyone watch it? It was bizarre to say the least with him digitally imposed over footage of his dead body!
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:21 pm

Steve Camber wrote:
gdh82 wrote:For those in the UK, "The Great Green Smoke Screen" looks an interesting documentary on C4 @ 8pm tonight!

That will clash with Eastenders. In a house full of women, I've got no chance!

Know what you mean mate - I don't get a look in with tv before 9pm! :( Hopefully the vcr is doing its stuff as we speak.

Didn't see that Bernard Manning doc, Steve ? Was it good as well as a bit wierd?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: The TV Thread

Postby gdh82 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:01 pm

I see the 'new Lost' FlashForward begins tonight on C5 in the UK - anyone know if it's anygood ?

Talking of C5s, I saw an intriguing trailer for the Micro Men starting on BBC4 soon. Its a drama about Sir Clive Sinclair back in the 80s and his bid to take over home computing! Looks worth a watch too.

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:42 pm

gdh82 wrote:I see the 'new Lost' FlashForward begins tonight on C5 in the UK - anyone know if it's anygood ?
Watched it the other day, very promising start, I'd say it's well worth watching.

Got plenty to watch now, with new seasons of Californication, Dexter, Brothers & Sisters and Desperate Housewives, Fringe, Smallville and Ugly Betty, all just started or starting shortly. Also been watching Warehouse 13, which is fun but not amazing.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:46 pm

Oh, and heroes too. :)
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:34 pm

My old recommendations still stand, I re-watched Day Break the other week and still think it works great. Also just 13 episodes long is Harper's Island and it's an elongated version of a slasher movie. Accordingly it starts a bit slow (first 4 episodes or so) but once it gets going the pace is kept high. I agree, the first episode of Flash Forward was promising, will have to wait and see how it develops.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:12 pm

Agreed fellas - enjoyed the first episode of Flashforward and hope it continues to appeal... :)

Btw Bbob - do you know when the new Brothers and Sisters is being aired over here ? Big fan of that show.

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 pm

gdh82 wrote:Btw Bbob - do you know when the new Brothers and Sisters is being aired over here ? Big fan of that show.
According to this, http://www.answers.com/topic/brothers-sisters it's mid spring 2010 on More 4. It started Sunday in the US, is there any way you can download it?
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re:

Postby Binary » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:46 am

Tripod wrote:10. House MD: The concept is extremely limited and every episode runs down the same canal and we've really seen enough medical series. But Hugh Laurie is priceless!

I'm very squeamish when watching medical tv series (shaaaaaaaaame), but House MD is the only one I can see (almost) without flinching. It's that good.

Tripod wrote:12. Hustle: This list is not in order of preference, otherwise Hustle would definitely be further up the list. Fine, fine TV series. The Henderson Challenge (Episode 2 of season 3) is probably my favorite.

Episode 6 of series 5 (last one as we speak) was my favorite, with an "OMG!" ending. This series is highly recommended, quality as only the BBC can produce.

Other suggestions:

There is an american "counterpart" of the above mentioned Hustle, called Leverage, in which a team of ex-thieves led by an ex-insurance man (played by Oscar winner Timothy Hutton) try to make things right by tricking other thieves. It's more high tech (one of the thieves is a software hacker) but no less brilliant.

Burn Notice: A very competent american spy receives his burn notice - this means someone pulled the plug on him, freezing his accounts and taking away everything he owns. The main character has to get his life back in line by doing not-always-legal-but-spy-related jobs while looking for the reason and the people who burned him. He is helped by TV legend Bruce Campbell as his sidekick, plus a few other interesting characters.

The Mentalist: A "medium" tries to make a show of catching a serial killer, until his own wife and daughter get kiled. He then joins up with the police, where he reveals he has no "medium powers", he just observes people and plays with their minds. The series is about a new crime every episode where Jane (yes, that's the guy's name!) uses his less conventional methodology to catch criminals, much to the despair of the detective squad that brings him along (begrudgingly some times...). The main character and his ideas to reveal the criminal make the whole series, even though the relationships between the detective squad members add a nice touch.

Criminal Minds
: A series around the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI, who solve crimes by observation of crime scenes and through an understanding of the killer's minds. This used to be a very interesting series, but it has become a bit repetitive recently, when they started focusing more on the killer than on the different personalities and skillset of the different team members.
World Cup 2015 Bronze Cup/Steve Screech Cup Winner

aka "The Kick Off 2 Hustler" and officially the best Portuguese Kick Off player living in Ireland.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:57 am

Bounty Bob wrote:
gdh82 wrote:Btw Bbob - do you know when the new Brothers and Sisters is being aired over here ? Big fan of that show.
According to this, http://www.answers.com/topic/brothers-sisters it's mid spring 2010 on More 4. It started Sunday in the US, is there any way you can download it?

I'm sure there is a way of downloading it but will prob wait for the broadcast. Cheers for the info. :)

Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Re: Re:

Postby Tripod » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:29 am

Binary wrote:Episode 6 of series 5 (last one as we speak) was my favorite, with an "OMG!" ending. This series is highly recommended, quality as only the BBC can produce.

My favorite episode is still The Henderson Challenge.

Burn Notice: A very competent american spy receives his burn notice - this means someone pulled the plug on him, freezing his accounts and taking away everything he owns. The main character has to get his life back in line by doing not-always-legal-but-spy-related jobs while looking for the reason and the people who burned him. He is helped by TV legend Bruce Campbell as his sidekick, plus a few other interesting characters.

Yeah, I had forgotten that. I find the series enjoyable for all his spy tricks, which include some MacGyver-ish stuff (like bullteproofing a car).

The Mentalist: A "medium" tries to make a show of catching a serial killer, until his own wife and daughter get kiled. He then joins up with the police, where he reveals he has no "medium powers", he just observes people and plays with their minds. The series is about a new crime every episode where Jane (yes, that's the guy's name!) uses his less conventional methodology to catch criminals, much to the despair of the detective squad that brings him along (begrudgingly some times...). The main character and his ideas to reveal the criminal make the whole series, even though the relationships between the detective squad members add a nice touch.

Haven't given this a try, a friend of mine quite likes the series. Premise sounds similar to Psych (which is 100% comedy).
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46