Moderator: Moderators

Robert

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby Robert » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Film: The Hurt Locker
Watched: recently
Format: DVD
Score: 9.5/10

Someone lent me this film and I knew nothing about it. I didn't even read the back of the DVD. I should do this more often. I was really surprised by what is an EXCELLENT film. It's about a bomb disposal team in the Iraq War. It's incredibly tense. I wouldn't say it is well-paced - quite the opposite. Some scenes are almost unbearably long. But that's the point. This is no kind of spoiler but Guy Pearce gets blown up in the opening scene. Now the movie has your attention: ANYTHING can happen. He is replaced by Jeremy Renner... an actor I seriously dig after he was in 28 Weeks Later as Doyle. Jeremy Renner turns out to be an ultra-calm dude who is also a complete danger nut. He seems to have a death wish but also know what the fck he is doing. He leads his team into such risk that they actually consider 'accidentally' doing him in themselves. It's the unpredictability of his character that makes such compelling viewing. You feel that anyone could die at any moment. Is he brilliant or is he stupid? Why does he do it? What motivates him. As his psyche starts to unravel you really worry for everyone. Will he get his shit together? I don't want to say any more about it. Simply excellent. With an excellent little cameo from Ralph Fiennes, loving every moment.

I am such a dipshit. I looked up this film afterwards and found it won 6 Oscars. How could I overlook this? I suddenly worry that I don't know anything about movies. And I thought the Oscars were just for gay overdone CGI stuff like Avatar and LOTR. This is what films are supposed to be about... dialogue, characterization, tension, drama.

Bloody brilliant.... watch it!
Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Film: Battle: Los Angeles
Watched: Tonight
Format: Cinema
Score: 7/10

+ Gets you straight into the action
+ Uncomplicated
+ Good SFX
+ Great, awesome soundtrack
+ Michelle Rodriguez
- A few hollywood disaster movie cliches
- Some bits drag a little
- A little bit too much 'shakycam' at times
- Really very similar plot to Independence Day / War of the Worlds (although better than both)
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:40 am

Film: Unstoppable
Format: HTPC
Score: 5/10

Review: So there's a train gone rogue with a chemical load racing towards a city. Not exactly original, not many variations to that theme. I guess Tony Scott makes just about the best you can expect to come from this idea. Watchable on a rainy afternoon.

Film: The Fighter

Review: So it's a movie about a boxer whose career is going nowhere fast, no small thanks to his crazy family. Possibly also due to being based on a real story this movie too offers few surprises. That aside it's pretty good, worthy Oscar-winning performance by Christian Bale as the drug addicted brother, Mark and Jorn should get some weight losing tips from him, incredible how thin he got once more (remember The Machinist?) right after the last Batman.

Film: The next three days
Score: 6/10

Review: So imagine your wife ends up in prison for a murder she didn't commit (or did she?). What's left to do after you exhausted your legal options? Break her out, of course. Ah, but it's not as easy as in the movies, is it? Slow moving first two acts, but the final act (named, I'm sure you already guessed, the next three days) makes up for it. -1 for serious problems with the plan he goes with, not entirely believable, sadly.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 am

Robert Swift wrote:Film: Battle: Los Angeles

+ Uncomplicated
+ Good SFX
+ Michelle Rodriguez
- Really very similar plot to Independence Day / War of the Worlds (although better than both)

Just to underline, this movie is basically an opportunity to listen to the amazing soundtrack for two hours. Anything that happens on the screen is a bonus.
Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:47 am

YEAH!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Film: Diamond Dogs
Watched: today
Format: DivX
Score: 0/10

Review: WTF??? Are you kidding me? Now, I know that having Dolph Lundgren headlining, together with a bunch of asians and some russians should give a hint, but come on... This is the absolutely worst crap I've EVER seen.
Synopsis? It's about this guy (Dolph) living in Mongolia, who's hit rough times. No money etc. Lives from underground fighting etc. Get's a job doing security for a guy wanting to find some ancient stuff up in the hills. They drive around in some old suv's, they are followed, they are killed, and Dolph kills the rest then leaves. CRAP!!!!
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:55 am

Robert Swift wrote:
Robert Swift wrote:Film: Battle: Los Angeles

+ Uncomplicated
+ Good SFX
+ Michelle Rodriguez

Just to underline, this movie is basically an opportunity to listen to the amazing soundtrack for two hours. Anything that happens on the screen is a bonus.

Just watched this. Epic! Pure class!!!
And El Roberto's words on this movie is nothing but the truth.
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:39 am

If you are a dad, and especially if you have a daugther, I urge you to watch "Father and Daughter" - a Dutch short animated film from 2001. It's apparently quite popular, having won the 2001 Oscar for Best Short Animated Film, but I only found out about it last year.

The IMDB page is here and you can watch the film here
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:57 am

Is it anything like this one?
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 am

No, not at all. The only similarity is that both are hand-drawn animated films.

If I remember correctly, I liked the art style of the movie you posted (a bit similar to the recent [i]Illusioniste [\i]), but not the movie as a whole that much.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:05 am

Do you honestly not remember?
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am

Yup. Why are you surprised?

"Le triplette de Belleville" was a movie I went to see to the cinema when it was first released, but it didn't have any lasting appeal... in fact I don't remember it at all. It had to do with old ladies and the Tour de France!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:34 am

I'm not talking about the actual film! I thought you'd remember that it was the only time we went to the movies together (with Tatiana and my -at the time new girlfriend- Roula). I never trusted you to take me to the cinema ever again. :lol: