The Movie Thread

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Freshmaker

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Robert Swift wrote:Did anyone else secretly enjoy Sucker Punch?

Secretly ffs? Just watched the other day. Found it very enjoyable. :)
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:41 am

Ok, from memory here are some reviews:

Film: Barney's Version
Score: 6/10

Review: I love Paul Giamatti ever since the great American Splendor. Barney's Version is a good movie, but not something for me, more something you could watch with your better half. It's basically about a guy who falls in love with another woman at his own wedding party, told in long flashbacks. None of the characters in the movie are truely likeable, except for Barneys dad (Dustin Hoffman) maybe, but quite realistically flawed and altogether it's a good emotional experience for a romantic comedy/tragedy.

Film: Sucker Punch
Score: 3/10

Review: What a mess. Quite stylish, easy to tell it's from the director of 300 (which I also didn't like much), but an incoherent and banal story...

Film: Attack the block
Score: 4/10

Review: Pretty low budget sci-fi/horror/comedy about an alien invasion on a council housing block in London. Cheesy and predictable, but somewhat enjoyable nonetheless.

Film: Hanna
Score: 4/10

Review: The story is just one big excuse for having a young teenage girl play a professional killer. Not a bad idea, methinks... but while others applaud it for being a bit like the Bourne Identity... I found the movie pretty boring. The first twist was good to keep the movie going but it's downhill from there all the way to a totally underwhelming finale imho.

Film: Unknown
Score: 7/10

Review: This is the movie I liked most in the last few months and I'd like to say the least about it to not spoil anything. Watch it!
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks Alex! I knew you wouldn't like Sucker Punch. To say it's an incoherent mess is like saying Barbarella is an incoherent mess. YES you are right, but does that mean we like Barbarella any less? Not everything has to work on every level I don't think. I found it innovative, stylish and pleasing enough on the eye to forgive everything else. No film critic would ever write that of course.

Unknown, well since you are a Berliner then you were always going to love this. I have also got this on Blu Ray and give it 6/10. 1pt in that is for Diane Kruger. My slight problem is that everyone was expecting this film to be 'Taken 2'. And it wasn't. The central twist is something I saw coming, but not too obvious.
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Alex you are a seriously bad man for not coming to the World Cup. Hope your toothache gets better and you find a 500 Euro note on the pavement.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Robert Swift wrote:Alex you are a seriously bad man for not coming to the World Cup. Hope your toothache gets better and you find a 500 Euro note on the pavement.

Indeed.
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:04 pm

I loved Sucker Punch...
I was mis-sold it about being some girl who kinda takes revenge on someone, so I kinda sold it to Mel as its a bit of a chick flick hahaha :)

Great movie
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:30 pm

durban wrote:I loved Sucker Punch...
I was mis-sold it about being some girl who kinda takes revenge on someone, so I kinda sold it to Mel as its a bit of a chick flick hahaha :)

Great movie

Ha Ha Ha... it is a chick flick, well it has chicks in it.
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Film: Vertigo
Watched: Tuesday
Format: DVD
Score: 10/10

I will start this by reassuring you that I am not one of those pretentious twats that digs up old movies and says they are wonderful just in order to look clever.

So, there are certain films out there where people say 'OMG have you never seen that yet!?' and this was on my list. With such films, there is only one possible course of action, which is to obtain the DVD/Blu Ray and quietly watch it on your own in your house with a bottle of wine. Then hope that no-one realizes you only just saw it.

This film is absolutely brilliant. Luckily, over the years, I have managed to shield myself mainly from its secrets, summoning up a kind of 'LA LA LA' noise when people start talking about characters falling off buildings so, with no spoilers from me, I will just tell you to obtain a copy and watch it in the circumstances I describe above. If you don't know or only half know what it's about, it will get you.

This film was made in the mid 1950's and restored in the mid 1990's. It looks and sounds great, and the performances are superb. But the main things that hold it together are Hitchcock's direction, and the raw and very personal story. A moving, disturbing, occasionally scary film that is also compulsive viewing.
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Film: Apollo 18
Format: err avi

Brilliant...
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Stainy wrote:Film: Apollo 18
Format: err avi

Brilliant...

Watching it now.
Really annoying to watch and listen to.
Could have been better!
3/10
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Film: Ironclad
Watched: Yesterday
Format: Blu Ray
Score: 7.5/10

Great cast, great locations, beautifully shot. Paul Giamatti excellent as King John. Excellent fight sequences. Not 100% historically accurate but faithfully brings to life the Middle Ages with all their brutality. Loved it. Don't expect a particularly cerebral or innovative plot; it's basically the Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai in Medieval England. All the archetypes are there. But it's got James Purefoy, Charles Dance, Brian Cox and Derek Jacobi in it, plus a lot of people being cut in half.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am

Mel actually loved that movie, and she hates blood and guts...
I thought it was ok too...but spent too much of the film expecting the wife to tell me to turn it off :)
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Film: The Ides of March
Score: 6/10

Review: Came highly recommended, but to be honest I was a wee bit disappointed. There is surprisingly little politics, there is little suspense, the movie plods along at a rather slow pace, the finale is a bit open-ended. Nonetheless the story is solid enough and the actors (Clooney, Gosling, Giamatti, Rachel Wood) excellent.

Film: Drive
Score: 5/10

Review: Also gained rave reviews, also stars Ryan Gosling... didn't work for me at all. The opening car chase is cool, right out of Need for Speed: Most Wanted including cool down spots. Gosling's role reminds a bit of Statham in The Transporter, but he plays the really silent type, says about as many words as Schwarzenegger in the original Terminator, and is just called "the Driver". Somehow falls in love with a woman and her son, even though she's married to a criminal, but being the kind type he tries to help him with his next heist... I dunno, the film is sort of arty, minimalistic, moving along at snail's pace, I felt nothing for Driver or any of the other characters.

Film: Contagion

Review: Soderbergh is known for the stylishness of his movies (like Ocean's 11, 12, 13), but he lacks what would be necessary in emotional power to make Contagion work. The story is there, humankind on the edge of extinction, but it's all told so matter-of-factly that you will be surpressing a yawn instead of rooting for survival of the human race or any of the characters.

Film: Real Steel

Review: I've become a little nicer with my scores. Real Steel is enjoyable enough, the mimic function of the robot is great. But Hugh Jackman's character is totally unbelievable. At the start he's down to his last robot, bets more money than he has, makes a silly mistake, loses everything. He borrows more money, buys this really cool robot but goes for a main event right away without having practiced with all the new functions and loses badly again. But of course in the end he's so clever and patient to beat the best robot around... sloppy storytelling. Good fun apart from that.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46