Trapping

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

GingerPete
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Trapping

Postby GingerPete » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:13 pm

Ok,
Whats you theories here?

When controlling a player why does it trap sometimes and kick it others?

I think its when the ball is on the tips of the player it kicks it?
But saying that sometimes it traps?

Also when the ball is high or low it seems to trap?
Any ideas to the logic here?
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:17 pm

KO2 ball control is one of the most beautiful thing ever created after the women. :)
It's implementation is something revolutionary, just few months ago i understood how it's made...TI ball control is based on the same concepts. You could like or dislike DD but i can tell you ball control is really based on a smart concept. Honestly i never had the same intuition, and only monitoring for 15 years the original KO2 one i could develop something that is close (but not so effective) to the original ball control.
GingerPete
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby GingerPete » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:42 pm

Well as much as I would love to know his methods, I am not worried.

Instead I want to know from a player point of view what you expect to happen in a given situation.
Dino Dini
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Dino Dini » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:20 pm

It is simple. If you hold the botton down before you touch the ball, you control it

If you press the button after you touch (or kick the ball dribbling) the ball you shoot it.

I wanted to retain the concept of "shoot the moment the ball is pressed" so it was the only way to make a difference.

With practice you can reliably control and pass or shoot on the fly.

One snag was that anyone with autofire on would find it impossible to control the ball. Another snag is that people never read manuals and there was no training mode to explain it.

Too many people were having problems understanding this aspect of the game and is the reason why I moved away from the model post KO2.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:22 pm

Dino, can I ask a serious question.

do you still play ko2 and are you any good at it if or whenever you used to play?
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Dino Dini
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Dino Dini » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:10 pm

No I have not played the game in years...
Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:14 pm

Dino Dini wrote:Too many people were having problems understanding this aspect of the game and is the reason why I moved away from the model post KO2.

No trapping is why Sensible Soccer is limited (well one of the reasons). But I seem to remember trapping in Goal!
Dino Dini
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Dino Dini » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:42 pm

Sorry trapping is how passing works. If you can't trap you can't pass (well apart from using shoot to pass).

To pass you first trap the ball, point in the direction to pass and then release the button.

Sensible soccer had no trap ability at all... as I recall a short tap was the auto pass and the long tap a shot. But it is a long time ago now.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:32 pm

Must be weird to have written something that so many people feel strongly about. I wouldn't know, the only thing I ever wrote was Sniper frogs and that was rubbish.

Anyway I love trapping, I also feel it helps not only for passing but also dribbling as you can use it to avoid challenges or just mess up your opponents defence when you are running clean thru (Ie you stop and he carries on giving you space).

In fact the trap move is probably my favourite part of KO2 :)
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:32 pm

NOt to start a war straight away Dino But... I think that if you hold the button down to trap when a player makes his second touch the ball will be kicked instead. This seems to happen every time, and I don't bother trying to trap at that stage now. Pete, maybe you should test this for yourself?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:42 pm

Good point semtex, lost count of how many times I have run up to a free ball with no opponents around, held down the button to trap the ball and the player does a pointless slide. :shock:
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Dino Dini
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Dino Dini » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:51 pm

I can only tell you the way that the game was designed. If you can't trap the ball, you can't do passes (at least Auto passes).

To recap:

Touch ball then press button = Shoot
Press button then touch ball = Trap
Let go of button while trapped = pass in direction of stick
Let go of button while trapped with no stick direction = release from trap mode.

The most common reasons for people not being able to trap are:

a) Because they do not know about the fact that it depends on the order
b) Because they have autofire on their stick
c) Because they have a stick with a faulty button that does not make reliable contact

Since trapping relies on the game seeing that you are holding the button down, autofire stops you from ever giving this instruction because it is automatically pressing and releasing the button very fast. You will be able to shoot normally (although it could throw your timing off). But all traping is impossible and passing becomes vritually impossible apart from in the direction you are already facing.

When I discovered this problem with Auto Fire, I felt sick. I wondered about how many people had tried to play the game with autofire sticks and autofire on, and hated it. As a result I built a check into GOAL! to detect autofire sticks. I wish I had done the same in Kickoff 2.
Dino Dini
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Dino Dini » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:57 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Good point semtex, lost count of how many times I have run up to a free ball with no opponents around, held down the button to trap the ball and the player does a pointless slide. :shock:

Ah! that is the old slide tackle chestnut!

The problem is that with one button, how does the computer know what you mean? In a free ball situation the rules are different. Pressing the button makes you slide, unless the ball is in the air, in which case you do a header.

This makes collecting a loose ball a difficult thing to do. There is no easy way of collecting a loose ball and immediately trapping it. If you press the button after you touch it, you will shoot it... if you press it before you will slide. Providing you can slide and retain the ball in KO2 (forgive me my memory fails me on this point) then one way is to slide to the ball and keep the slide button held down. Then when you touch the ball and stop you will be in trap mode.

Once your player in in possession of the ball, sliding is no longer possible and so the problem no longer arrises.

How does this match people's experiences of the game?