We wuz robbed! When is a goal not a goal...

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

We wuz robbed! When is a goal not a goal...

Postby gdh82 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:12 pm

I know this isn't news to most of us but I feel compelled to make this post after being denied a perfectly good goal not once but twice! Both shots are close to the post and both came during a KO2 session against my sparring partner, Si. Goals are like gold dust to me so the injustice of it feels even greater! To add insult to injury I went on to lose the games in question :x

So I wondered how do-able it is Steve to somehow tighten the goal detections (including those occasional wides that count as goals) at some future point ? I know - this is request #5387 :o

Take a look yourselves...:shock:

Robbery #1 (IN but then OUT of the goal????)

Robbery #2 (IN but then OUT of the goal again!!!????)

And if anyone says this is part of the charm of the great game, may a bolt of lightening strike you down! :wink: :lol:
Last edited by gdh82 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, the goal detection could be improved.

Yes, the resulting forum fight would be unpleasant. AVOID!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:56 pm

What Steve said. AVOID!!!
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:57 pm

hahah fantastic `not a goals`

Also Steve.. how is the keepers catchment area worked out?
when I used to play with my mates back in the 90`s we used to say
`ahhh no appearence factor` when the ball suddenly makes an appearence in the keepers hands...

Do the good keepers have a radius as such? and anything that comes into that is caught.. and the shittier ones... it flies by into the net??
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:08 pm

Yes, there is a defined radius around the keeper that the ball must be in for the keeper to be able to grab it (an upright cylinder check I think). I spotted it while doing the backpass code.

Can't remember if the keeper stats are involved in that particular calculation. Can't check the code now either, cos I'm at work as usual :evil:
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:29 pm

Maybe we can get that fine tuned ?? :D :D
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:57 pm

Steve Camber wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't want to create a stir of course (even though I struggle to believe people want to keep such blantant flaws which clearly were never intended) so how about considering making such enhancements as an option on the JFF menu ?

I'd also support Stainy's suggestion of improving the accuracy of the keeper's 'radius' and therefore improving the realism of the saves - again this could be a JFF option to keep the peace.

You never know, after trying these options, it might even persuade some the more conservative KOA-ers that they make the game even better! You never know.... :roll:
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:18 pm

gdh82 wrote:
Steve Camber wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(even though I struggle to believe people want to keep such blantant flaws which clearly were never intended)

PBD, anyone?
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re: We wuz robbed! When is a goal not a goal...

Postby Bounty Bob » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:24 am

gdh82 wrote:And if anyone says this is part of the charm of the great game, may a bolt of lightening strike you down! :wink: :lol:
It's all part of it's allure. How flat would competitions be if we took out all of the talking points and everything was black and white. Mistakes happen all the time in real football, injustice is part of the game.

Garry, your complaints have no merit when compared to this real life event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQx2_KQVkpI

Maybe some of the Kick Off referees are women? :lol: :lol: :lol:
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:23 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:
gdh82 wrote:And if anyone says this is part of the charm of the great game, may a bolt of lightening strike you down! :wink: :lol:
It's all part of it's allure. How flat would competitions be if we took out all of the talking points and everything was black and white. Mistakes happen all the time in real football, injustice is part of the game.

I genuinely don't want to get into a prolonged forum fight (honest!) but I have to briefly disagree. Firstly I'm not trying to take out all the "talking points" and make everything black and white - I'm specifically referring to when the ball enters the goal but doesn't count due to the software's limitations. Sure injustice is part of the human game but we're talking about a computer game here!

Making goal detection more accurate only improves the credibility of the great game, the KOA and all tournaments and surely that's in every player's interest. What kind of argument wants to keep this software limitation ? Do people worry it'll be the thin end of the wedge ? I certainly wouldn't want to see KO2's game play changed in any substantial way either!

Put simply - a goal should be a goal - I rest my case!

PS Like your ball boy goal clip! :lol:

PPS By the way, watch out Mark - the clouds are gathering outside your office :shock: ;)
Last edited by gdh82 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby SimonB » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:41 pm

I say leave the goal detection the way it is ... it's all part of the KO2 experience.

There's nothing more agonising than seeing the ball creep in through the post or even worse bounce off the post (but still counting as a goal!)

But at the same time, the satisfation of scoring them, the wind up, the laughter etc.

KO2 has certain foibles that we love.
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:46 pm

SimonB wrote:KO2 has certain foibles that we love.
Yes and they all tend to strangely appear as soon as I start playing a match against you. :lol:
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:47 pm

gdh82 wrote:PPS By the way, watch out Mark - the clouds are gathering outside your office :shock: ;)
I said allure not charm. :lol: