turning with the ball (without trapping!)

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

turning with the ball (without trapping!)

Postby gdh82 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:43 pm

This is partly inspired by Sid's post and clip above (thx mate!) but its also another of KO2 puzzles that always kept me guessing...

Why is it that sometimes I'll be able to do a swift 180 u-turn on the ball without a problem and at other times a slight change in direction sees the player and the ball go their separate ways! For example, in Sid's clip he turns perfectly the first two times but on the third turn, the ball just runs away ??? Why ?

I've wondered, is it anything like trapping - where you can only trap at certain times otherwise you kick the ball - perhaps likewise you can only turn with the ball at certain points too?

I'd much appreciate any theories/tips/pointers etc
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:57 pm

With the trapping you press the button between the kick, kick, kick sounds. To turn with the ball you need to move when you touch it, so move with the kick sounds instead of between them. On the last turn Sid just turned too late.

Moving like this is harder than the trap and move.

If you want to make turning without trapping easier, then activate PBD. Then when in the last 3rd you can turn easily as the ball runs under you and so you are always in control of it. Don't try trapping like this though!
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Re: turning with the ball (without trapping!)

Postby Torchiador » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:36 pm

gdh82 wrote:

This is partly inspired by Sid's post and clip above (thx mate!) but its also another of KO2 puzzles that always kept me guessing...

Why is it that sometimes I'll be able to do a swift 180 u-turn on the ball without a problem and at other times a slight change in direction sees the player and the ball go their separate ways! For example, in Sid's clip he turns perfectly the first two times but on the third turn, the ball just runs away ??? Why ?

I've wondered, is it anything like trapping - where you can only trap at certain times otherwise you kick the ball - perhaps likewise you can only turn with the ball at certain points too?

I'd much appreciate any theories/tips/pointers etc

no problem gdh82, with practice and patience you will be able to to make turns with the ball like this: torchio's mctwist - all right reserved -
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:48 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:With the trapping you press the button between the kick, kick, kick sounds. To turn with the ball you need to move when you touch it, so move with the kick sounds instead of between them. On the last turn Sid just turned too late.

Thanks, Bob, that makes an awful lot of sense! I can think it now - just need to learn to do it! :lol:

Torchiador wrote:no problem gdh82, with practice and patience you will be able to to make turns with the ball like this: torchio's mctwist - all right reserved -

Wow! I have never seen anything like this before on KO2 - its like an ice skater's pirouhette! :shock: (Although it looks great, it doesn't help me turn with the ball without trapping it first ! :wink: :lol: )
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:25 pm

I'm trying to apply the advice but look what happens:
http://members.aol.com/wjg283/turnwithball.avi

Its not with any pride that I post this clip! I do it because I need help! :shock:

Taken from a practice session, the clip contains three attempts at turning with the ball - the first two attempts fail miserably whereas during the last attempt I manage to turn four times with the ball no problem ??? As far as I'm concerned I'm not doing anything different each time so why can I turn sometimes and not others ? :x

I wonder - do player attributes play a part in this ?

Any explanations will be gratefully received - it'll restore my sanity at least!

And sorry if I'm doing more experienced players' heads in ;)

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:40 pm

You got the timing right on the 3rd attempt.

Study in slow motion and you can see that on the 3rd player, you turn when the ball is closer to you than on the earlier attempts.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:01 pm

Garry, what you're attempting there is quite an advanced skill. Don't be too hard on yourself.

There is no sound on the clip. But to accomplish these turns, you need to synchronise the turn with the 'tap' when the player contacts the ball. So you need to listen to the rhythm of that tap and go 'tap - tap - tap - turn - tap - tap - turn - tap' without breaking the rhthym.

Running with the ball like this is inadvisable against good opponents as you'll have it stolen off your feet. Or, if you're using a weak player, he'll just be pushed over. You need to keep the ball under you to reduce the chance of it being stolen. For this reason, a lot of people trap to turn.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:29 pm

Thanks Steve and Rob - appreciate the pointers again!

Watching again in slow-mo I can now see that during the successful turns the ball is on its way back to the player and so much closer, and appreciating what the kicking sound means now I can use that to judge the distance.

Once again - its starting to make sense upstairs but can I translate that to the joystick? Besides, bearing your mind what you said Rob, I think I'll be better off practicing the trapping skill.

Thanks again guys :D