Formation Advantages

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Formation Advantages

Postby Wonka » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:02 am

What are everybody's thoughts on formations? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of the available formations in KO2? I am seriously considering switching to 532 because people are getting too good at lobbing and the reason Martin beat me so heavily was because he just lobbed the shit out of me. After days of practice, I am of the opinion that I may be better off using 532. Although I can't seem to lob very well, I think my ball control allows me to keep it in certain areas of the field for enough time to let Barber, Curtis, and Hunt make runs for me.

I switched to 532 in the WC against Bill because he's style is very effective against me and it worked a treat. I love using 4-2-4 and still think I can dominate any game but people are just beginning to lob the shit out of me as I have no dominance in the middle of the park with 424 as I play my football out wide. I feel I am too exposed in the middle which is where lobbinng takes place and I think 532 is the only way to stop it.

I am also beginning to believe that my attacks are only slightly disadvantaged with 532 as the BLC is slightly harder due to late runs in the box but I only think it's denying me about 2 goals per game. I do however believe that 532 will save me from 3 goals at least and anything up to around 6 goals per game against quality opposition. I think 532 can be effective for a player like myself who doesn't lob as Curtis and Hunt make clever runs when given the time and I know I have the quality to pick them out as well as Barber which sets up a lovely BLC or clear cut chance. What are your thoughts gentlemen?
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Formation Advantages

Postby manicx » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:21 am

Wonka wrote:Martin beat me so heavily was because he just lobbed the shit out of me.

:cry: He did the lob after the kick off didn't he? Anyway, back to the topic....

5-3-2 is mainly a defencive formation. I do believe that from the players I've seen so far, Alkis and Martin take full advantage of it by scoring from all over the field. I am taking advantage of mid-rage shots but also try to penetrate the defence and so does Gianluca. I do believe that all the above players have the perfect balance between defence and attack using 5-3-2. It is difficult to maintain coherent defence and score many goals. I do play with 5-3-2 for 11 years now. Each tactic can easily make a player happy or take the shit out of him.... Needs to be decided carefully...
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:32 am

Yes he did lob the shit out of me mate and everytime I scored he just replied with that fucking lob from kick off. :lol: When you said the above players are perfect for 532 I take it you meant Martin and Alkis? So what do you think about the best way of attacking with 532 Nikos? I have learnt to use my wingers very well but the pass has to be perfect.
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:42 am

Well, I also mentioned Gianluca because he is one of the best dribblers in 1.4e I've seen and I mentioned my self because I use my wingers to attack most of the time. As you said, passes should be perfect. This is one of the most difficult thing in 5-3-2. Also the control within the box is very dificult because you only have 2 players and there are many times that you only have one. So making the perfect pass is the most difficult part. I have to admit that I prefer to play a bit like Bill21. When he was in Athens during Christmas, I took the piss out of him by scoring the same goals that he does (diagonal lob and then a header)!!!
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:32 am

Hmmmmmmmm I do see what you are saying Nikos. I know that you, Alkis, and FoxSoft are all quality 532 players so I appreciate your comments. I'm not saying my method of using 532 is going to be better than you guys but I can tell you it's different and I think I am going to be lethal with this formation. I may be more lethal than I am with 424 as I have some very unique ways of using it that I haven't seen anyone do yet. I am getting to the stage where I can attack from any situation and keep the ball long enough for Barber, Curtis, and Hunt to break away on penetrating runs. I know I am only doing this against the Amiga though and quality opposition will be much more difficult. I do however believe that I can implement my plans against the likes of Alkis and yourself mate so i am looking forward to the challenge. I can always switch to 424 if it doesn't work. :D
Abyss

Re: Formation Advantages

Postby Abyss » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:33 am

manicx wrote:
I do believe that from the players I've seen so far, Alkis and Martin take full advantage of it by scoring from all over the field.

Which Martin do you refer to? Martin B. plays 4-3-3 and Martin J. 4-2-4...
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:35 am

He means Martin Jefferey.
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:35 am

Martin J switched to 5-3-2, didn't he?
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:01 am

Rikki, 4-3-3 is the best formation for wing play. Have you tried it?
World Cup 2015 Bronze Cup/Steve Screech Cup Winner

aka "The Kick Off 2 Hustler" and officially the best Portuguese Kick Off player living in Ireland.
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:56 am

433 is very good for wing play but its a shit formation and is very poor defensively.
labrujitaraymarjef
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby labrujitaraymarjef » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:07 pm

I play 4-2-4 in tourneys so far guys.

And you two better shuddup about my kick off technique.

I like 5-3-2 against attacking 4-2-4 players like Trev, Spyros, Panayotis and maybe Rikki. You have better players competing for the headers it seems. Scott never misses one. But I am not sure against other 5-3-2 players. Don't know if I can score enough in this situation.

As Team A 4-2-4 is my favourite I think. Just too many attacking options. Against Alkis and Nikos it didn't work as well but I think I will try more lobs and crosses next time I see them instead of focussing on over the top balls.
labrujitaraymarjef
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby labrujitaraymarjef » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:10 pm

Am I right in thinking that with 4-4-2 Barber is deeper than with any other formation? It seems that way to me. I never tried 4-3-3.

Problem with 4-4-2 from what I have seen is that the strange defensive positioning of the two centre backs means that this formation is more vulnerable to counter attack play than any other.
Pee
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby Pee » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:16 pm

I've always always played 4-2-4 on KO2. When I played at Wolverhampton though I realised how bad it can be defensively against the good players so I think I switched to 5-3-2. Although that seemed to work defensively I just didn't know what the fuck I was doing offensively so kept giving the ball away by passing to know one in particular and thus putting more defensive pressure on myself. So I don't know what to do for Sheffield. I guess I should work on 5-3-2 offensive options and use that as Team B and stick with what I know as Team A. :? :?

I like 4-3-3 too but that is a deffo none starter in a tourney I reckon esp for some one who gets no 2 player practice
FWA OK!!

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." GB