KO2 Psychology (warning: contains scumminess)

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: KO2 Psychology (warning: contains scumminess)

Postby gdh82 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:38 pm

Noodlebug wrote:I'm not concerned about Waynie's rank, I'm trying to protect the integrity of the English language!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I think in this case, 'active' means played two tournaments within the last 18 months. Spyros will tell us for sure in due course.. :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:33 pm

Noodlebug wrote:I'm not concerned about Waynie's rank, I'm trying to protect the integrity of the English language!
Only active players appear in the published ranking list. I don't know what you not understanding the criteria for that has to do with the English language. :wink:
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:46 pm

I had no idea you had redefined the word active when I proposed that Waynie is the 3rd best active player.

Perhaps I should clarify...

Waynie is the 3rd best player of players who have played ranked games at some point in the recent past.

(or have the KOA now appropriated and redefined the word "recent" too?)
-----------------------------
Newbie for 12 years
Silver Cup runner up 2017
Bronze Cup and Best Defence runner up 2018
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Can you please specify the exact length of time that is covered by the word recent.

Thanks.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:08 pm

In any case, Waynie has retired, so by what definition are you referring to him as active?
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:In any case, Waynie has retired, so by what definition are you referring to him as active?

Do you know, I made that exact same point 10 posts ago! Back when it was still clever...

On another subject I wish to complain to the forum manager. When I click on "View Active Topics" I only get topics from the last month or so. Where are all the still-active topics from 2006?
Newbie for 12 years
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 pm

Noodlebug wrote:
Bounty Bob wrote:In any case, Waynie has retired, so by what definition are you referring to him as active?

Do you know, I made that exact same point 10 posts ago! Back when it was still clever...
I'm not trying to be clever. Now it's funny. :lol:
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:00 pm

But that aside, I still want you to specify the exact length of time that is covered by the word recent.
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:03 pm

The word recent doesn't require an exact amount of time. Otherwise the word would be redundant, as it would be a synonym for whatever amount of time you allocated it. The concept of recent means it is relatively close to now, but without being in the future. That excludes anything that is not close to now, such as anything that was quite a long time ago. This of course leads us into the definition of the word "relatively," a word which has the effect of introducing some form of context. Therefore "recent" as an evolutionary biologist or a geologist might use it is differentiated from "recent" as a bloke talking about kick-off tournaments might use it. I understand there were very few kick-off tournaments played during the Permian period. However for the purposes of clarity I can confirm that when I talk about players being active, the recentness of their most recent activity must be considered in a timescale of months rather than of years. That is to say, any measurement that consists of a number of years equal to or exceeding two must be excluded from the immediate contextualised definition of the word "recent." This is without admitting that a timescale of more than six months but less than two years is absolutely contained within the definition of "recent" even for the purposes of this particular context. Setting absolute boundaries while useful for the purposes of classification and certainty does not always reflect the subjective nature of individual perceptions of a world that is full of shades of gray, where the boundaries both blur and move even within the perspective of an individual over time.
Newbie for 12 years
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:13 pm

FFS you two... :roll:
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November