IMDB's TOP 10 films. Which is your favourite?

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Which is your favourite?

The Godfather
No votes
The Shawshank Redemption
20%
The Godfather II
5%
Lord Of The Rings (Return Of The King)
10%
il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo,(Good,Bad,and The Ugly)
10%
Casablanca
10%
Schindler's List
5%
Shichinin no samurai
5%
Pulp Fiction
20%
Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
15%

Total votes: 20
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:07 pm

Rodolfo wrote:Who is the movies illiterate who did this 10 films selection???

My God :?

That would be the good old general public.
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:31 pm

What Rodolfo said.

That's the problem of all such lists of course. There is always a bias on fairly recent movies, with the odd Casablanca and Citizen Kane thrown in for diversity.

Rodolfo's point is especially true if you consider that the good old general public is the average 18-30 internet user...
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:33 pm

Abyss wrote:What Rodolfo said.

That's the problem of all such lists of course. There is always a bias on fairly recent movies, with the odd Casablanca and Citizen Kane thrown in for diversity.

Rodolfo's point is especially true if you consider that the good old general public is the average 18-30 internet user...

Or to quote another great film:
"you know, morons"
SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby SimonB » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:40 pm

The good, the bad and the ugly ... no contest
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:40 pm

MJB wrote:What CGIs look so bad? .

I just think there comes a time when CGI gets so close to but yet so far from reality that everything looks like a big mess.

I mean, Gollum? Maybe one day they'll make CGI's so that we don't know they're CGI's, but I find it really hard to enjoy a feature film when I know a character (that's supposed to engage me) is 'pure' computer imagery. Ok, maybe they couldn't have used a muppet, but it's the way he moves as well, Newton's second law doesn't seem to apply.

I just like watching a bloody good storyline with interesting characters. LOTR films just seems like an excuse for the whizz kids to use their latest in CGI technology.

Obviously LOTR isn't alone here. ffs, Gollum was better than the new 'Yoda' and the new Star Wars films were much worse visually , but leaving the CGI's out of it, the Ring films do plod on a bit.
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Abyss wrote:

Very true,

However they seem to be spot on with the bottom 100. Teenwolf Too! :lol: By far the worst film in existence.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:48 pm

uncle_colin wrote:but it's the way he moves as well, Newton's second law doesn't seem to apply.
If you're watching a fantasy film and trying to apply Newton's laws you might as well give up. You need to be able to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the ride.
Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:53 pm

uncle_colin wrote:Obviously LOTR isn't alone here. ffs, Gollum was better than the new 'Yoda' and the new Star Wars films were much worse visually , but leaving the CGI's out of it, the Ring films do plod on a bit.

Try reading the books! The films whizz past by comparison.

Most people continually vote these as the best books ever, even though they haven't read them. :)
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:56 pm

Ok, from this peculiar list. I did not watch LOTR or that Samurai thing, but all the rest are good movies. If I had to pick one...

My first choice would be Schindler. But after some thinking I better pick The Godfather I - II.

Spielberg's movie is amazingly good, is more than brilliant, but it served a purpose of teaching the world something. It is a necessary film, but Godfather is purest filming, it is a camera in front of some shakesperian size characters. There is no extra purpose or meaning, but to show the great passions of life.

Schindler is a monument of something else, Godfather is an unit, a complete and finished piece of art, both time precise and eternal.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO.
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:58 pm

Bounty Bob wrote:
uncle_colin wrote:but it's the way he moves as well, Newton's second law doesn't seem to apply.
If you're watching a fantasy film and trying to apply Newton's laws you might as well give up. You need to be able to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

I'm not talking about his jumps, leaps or acrobats. I didn't watch Yoda in the new films and say "ffs, that's far-fetched" I'm talking about how his head moves from left to right, general body movement, how his arms move. I wish they'd bring back muppets. Surely people can agree that the 'muppet Yoda' in Empire seemed more real and believable than crap like Gollum and that Dobby off Harry Potter.
Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:15 pm

uncle_colin wrote:Surely people can agree that the 'muppet Yoda' in Empire seemed more real and believable than crap like Gollum and that Dobby off Harry Potter.

Yoda, you like?

Crap, I think he is.
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:20 pm

MJB wrote:Pulp Fiction is possibly the second best film to quote from, behind only Aliens of course.

Wrong... its the 1st!!!
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:50 pm

Sid wrote:
MJB wrote:Pulp Fiction is possibly the second best film to quote from, behind only Aliens of course.

Wrong... its the 1st!!!

Actually 'Caddyshack' is the 1st.