Finishing

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:08 pm

Wow, a post by Wonka on KO2; how refeshing.

PBD opens up a whole realm of freestyle finishing - enjoy Freshie!

For now though, I guess, work on those trap-and-go-round-keeper standard goals.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:27 pm

hehe. I need to work on the trap-release thingy. Getting there, but still....
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:15 am

Let me tell you the best way how to practice on finishing. Play the Amiga for 2x20 minutes with a 424 formation. Dont think about passing the ball and working in any area other than goals. Constantly punt the ball upfield with a mixture of high and low passes as the way you receive the ball around the box from a pass is probably the most important part of finishing. Your first touch and player direction will create the difficulty level of the goalscoring opportunity. Like I said before, it's so much to do with controlling the keeper.

If you don't show enough of the ball on your first touch, the keeper will not position himself in a way that will enable you to slide it past him which is the easiest way to score. It's always best to draw the keeper to either side of the goal before striking the ball the opposite side with curl which mostly results in a beautiful tidy finish. It's vital that you really have computer opposition because the positioning of defenders has a huge effect on decision making and indeed your decision has to be correct.

This is very difficult to explain but like I said, keep punting the ball upfield to your strikers and practice on positioning yourself whilst taking control of low and high balls. Ocassionally trap the ball if you need to but trapping in the area should rarely be done and you need to get to the stage where you can always pick the right spot to shoot from giving the what ever circumstances you are faced with. The average place you should really be shooting from is probably from about 12-15 yards out. (Roughly near the penalty spot or just before)

Although shots from further/nearer distances are often necessary and often better options depending on the keepers movements and positioning of defenders. Once you get a good understanding of this and a skill to do it competently, you will probably then start to master the different kinds of shooting that's often required. Foe example you have to learn to shoot under the goalkeeper as there are occasions where a sweeping basic strike will always be saved unless you learn to make the ball slide underneath the keeper.

This is done with the minimal of pressure on the fire button but the after touch is critical and you have to get it right. This is how Swifty has become a dangerous opponent for the elite, he has mastered these areas very well and James Beard hasn't for example. James Beard is a perfect example of a quality player who hasn't learned these things and trust me, what I have explained here will be difficult advice to beat when it comes to finishing. Don't forget, so much involves control of the keeper so present the ball correctly in the area whilst maintaining full control and awereness of everything. Takes so much practice but if you pay attention to what I have put here it will help you.

Wonka
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:23 pm

Not a shark, kfc, arse, bully, elite, zombie, coward, or manz mentioned at all. Not even a sign of over-inlflated ego, and the spelling+grammar error count was surprisingly low.

Are you feeling ok? That was the post of a KO2 champion ffs.

Keep it up fella! I hope this is the long-awaited New Wonka.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:03 am

Listen Camber. The only reason you and a few others like to kid yourself I'm stupid/thick is because you are insecure around me in some sort of way it seems? Intelligent men like you know I'm not thick so why make snidey comments about my command of the English language? I'm not the fastest of typers and quite frankly Camber, I don't see the point in checking every single bloody single spelling mistake for a forum post. I'm fully aware of many spelling mistakes I make, I just can't be bothered correcting them all.

There's nothing wrong with my grammer or spelling mate. One of many reasons why I have a better job than most here and earn more money too! And what the hell have I ever done to you? I suggest you just show appreciation for things I post that you like rather than resort to snidey comments. I'm glad you liked my post though. A long time ago many of my KO2 posts were laughed at and rubbished. I knew I always spoke sense about KO2 but it was often ignored because so many of you were not at a high enough level to understand my points.

Indeed that's changed now so I might just make the time to tell you more if I'm treated like a human. Just because my humour is different to most, it doesn't mean my level of intelligence is. Well I guess I will just be attacked for being big headed for the following but as always I will be honest. The reason I can go into that much detail is because it mainly involves control over the ball and nobody is anywhere near me in this department.

Indeed my choices of shots are sometimes not good enough for a player of my ability though which is why there are 1 or 2 players who may score a few more goals than myself over a tournament but sometimes they won't as I will always create more chances. If you want me to keep up posts like this, cut out the childish snidey posts and I will reveal alot more. Actually Camber, what I posted above should benefit you very much.
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:32 am

Wonka wrote:There's nothing wrong with my grammer or spelling mate.

I hope you realise why that's so hilarious!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, your informative and helpful post was very much in the style of a KO2 expert trying to give good clear advice to other keen KO2 players and it's great to see. More please. My game would undoubtedly benefit from these training methods, although I rarely sit down at an amiga to train, prefering to play humans for fun.

It's a shame that the big-headedness returned in the following post, it as really spoils it! Alkis, Gianluca, or MartinJ are amazing players and great champions. So great that they dont have to remind everybody everyday just how skillful they are ;)

The huge ego and unfailing self-belief must be a tremendous boost in competitions and I believe that's where much of your KO2 success comes from. No-one doubts your ball control skills and mastery of most of the game, you have been a world champ ffs! :)

It would be cool if you, and others, would be willing to post more KO2 training tips, all for the greater good of the KOA. U feeling me blood? Get posting STAR!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:07 am

Steve Camber wrote:
Wonka wrote:There's nothing wrong with my grammer or spelling mate.

I hope you realise why that's so hilarious!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You see this is my point? Childish and very snidey. I'm sorry Steve but I do indeed fail to see how hilarious this is. I also fail to see how I would earn so much money and be considered very good at my job which includes the production of documents on a daily basis for some of the best lawyers in the world. Surely my law firm would give me training in this department or at least address the issue? Especially when you consider it's one of the biggest law firms in the world.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:37 pm

Robert Swift wrote:For now though, I guess, work on those trap-and-go-round-keeper standard goals.

I STILL can't do this!!!
I am physically unable to run into the penalty area, trap the ball, and then dribble around the keeper before shooting into the open goal.
I just can't do it!!

I just shoot and and try to put on as much aftertouch as possible! Its intinctive!

Practice Mode is easier to trap the ball and dribble and score, but there is no pressure at all, and you can position the ball etc. In games, you have to be instinctive, and do what comes naturally... I would look to learn more though, but how do I change my reactions/reflexes?
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Sid wrote: but how do I change my reactions/reflexes?

You numb them with beer.
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:45 pm

Sid, it's already there, inside your head...
You have to practice, practice, practice. Force yourself to do things differently. It does seem strange, but it is a nice feeling when you have a 'repetoire' of finishes, and you instinctively choose the right one 7 or 8 times out of 10.
Just keep doing it, it will come.
I also like beer. I placed the bottle in a place where I couldn't quite reach. Then when I scored a goal I was trying to perfect I'd allow a nice slurp... Got quite good at corners, that way...
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:46 pm

:?:
I wrote that without reading Freshie's response... So that's how the beer trick really worked...