Kaliera P2P Client - NOT HE USUAL METHOD!!!

Talk about on-line Kick Off

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:02 am

GingerPete wrote:I just played Redhair on swos p2p, if someone else wants to try it with me with kick off we can?

I would like that. but maybe you should try with Rayge cause I might be the problem!?

(Rayge has played SWOS p2p with Redhair as well)
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:07 pm

So has Redhair created the same P2P client for Kick Off as well?

If so, get it online and we can amend the link...or just upload the existing client and we can update that particular link as well cause at the moment, anyone who wishes to play Kick Off online wont get any help from this 'Tutorial' (because the pictures dont work and the link doesent link to the client)
Last edited by Steve1977 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
GingerPete
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby GingerPete » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:02 pm

no steve, we can get a p2p client and use it on kick off.
GingerPete
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby GingerPete » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:25 pm

anyne pm me a time and we can meet up on msn or something to try this out.

I think we can jsut replace the current kick off kaleria download kaleria file with the new one.
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Sorry for the late reply :)

As some of you know, I camp non stop on the irc kickoff channel, helping the newbies when I'm around and leaving messages to tell them when I'm back to help or play. I was planning to announce the arrival of this new utility to advertise online kick off once more :P hoping it would convince a few people to give it a try at least :)

The fact that every attempt of telling people in this forum that kick off online DOES WORK WELL (not to say perfectly) always lead to the same discouraging answers from the same people doesn't really make me want to advertise it here anymore. Even if these people have surely considered that the survival of this game goes with online games (just take a look at the effectiveness of the sensible soccer online community). I'd just answer the scores in online games are the same than in real kick off games... you can score over 12 "skilled" goals per match. Well back to the subject...

I tested this new utility called KCS, made by the sensi team. It has a lovely Bubble Bobble icon to be launched. Here are the pros and cons for kick off:

pros:
- no need for servers anymore (which means that anyone can play with anyone without needing a third person work / help, or using other people servers)
- direct connection (in some cases itcan greatly decrease the ping delay while playing. It is mostly useful to play against people who live in a far country from yours. The western Europe players are likely to see no difference compared to the server version. Note: the response delay isn't proportional to the ping. You can have a faster response with 60ms on p2p than on a server with 35ms. The reason why i say it's the same is because the response delay is so low that it's not possible to notice any difference.
- option to record matches on videos (i have not tested it yet)

cons:
- no real big improvement
- it needs a specific set up with some firewalls, which may annoy the unexperienced users of these firewalls, as they would meet problems to allow an IP to IP connection. (it's the reason why the "server" version will still be more popular in the future).

All in all, it's just a good additional tool to play completely independantly with anyone.

If you want to test it, you know where to find me :) just type "rayge" in the #kickoff channel and I'll come to you shortly.
Last edited by Rayge on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:07 pm

i know what you mean KOA is home of Dinosaurs they never want to experiment something :lol:
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:18 pm

I don't think so :P I'm also a conservative kick off player. I'm always scared to see some good funny bugs being removed in each newer version. I so love the corner kick bug, for instance. Good laugh.

I believe that people who have real life kick off buddies don't feel concerned by this. I can't blame them for that :) They think online gaming is a substitution for what the others don't have. They don't believe it can just be an alternative way to have almost the same fun.
The others who love the game and are bored after playing the computer would really love it.
My role here is just to help people to play as much as they can, with any good method. You need a perfect computer config to make it run smoothly. In this case, I see no difference with the original one. Most of the time, the disappointed ones are those who tried once, 3 years ago, on a crappy server or with a poor config (the english vs german on a turkish server case ^^ ), and decided that it's not good. A few servers are fast enough to make kick off run at the good speed.

When I play online, I have the same feelings than when I was a kid playing with my mates. The only difference is I can drink beer while playing now :D

Oh and here are the links to KCS:

download the client: http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/files/kcs.sfx.exe

(big thanks to our friends from sensiblesoccer.de for hosting this file and explaining us how to set it up etc ...)

For more info, testing it or anything, come and get me ;)
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:46 am

Great post Rayge! Im well up for Kick Off online but sadly time is a big factor in why im not online in the room much.

As you say though, in the long run, the more people playing online will benefit the offline tournies big time because you'l have players wanted to prove themselves face to face.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:25 pm

Rayge, I downloaded that client but it doesent seem to do much? It only allows me to switch between two different modes.

It would be great if Redhair could do a version of Kick Off 2 like the one they have for Sensible Soccer. (With an update button pointing to Steve Cambers web space)
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Steve:

Get this

and get the Ko2cv099online.zip package.. here

Unpack this and replace the dll from above into your ko2cv folder.. overwriting..

launch that switcher program.. so that it reads p2p and launch WinUAEXP-RKO2K.exe set it up and launch Kaillera and the p2p opens.. not the reg client thing we were used to.
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:30 am

Steve !

Open kcs before opening kaillera. Then select the mode you want (old school client or new one). Then open the kick off client, launch kaillera. The new client then replaces the old one.
Switch clients just when kaillera is closed, otherwise it will crash.

What kcs does is switch between the old and new dll to make it run. (no need to erase the old dll as suggested above ^^ )

I was so pleased yesterday to play with stainy, it took ages to find a way to configure his router, but it worked ! Slight lag, but the best possible delay with our connections quality. We will improve for sure :)
Setzer
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: Kaliera P2P Client - NOT HE USUAL METHOD!!!

Postby Setzer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:21 am

I managed to play online with Rayge with his help, thanks !
(ok, 3 loss and 1 draw, but I'll win, when I'll know how to play with the light lag :mrgreen: )
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kaliera P2P Client - NOT HE USUAL METHOD!!!

Postby durban » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:54 am

I have my Comp Pro set up on my PC again I wouldn't mind a few online games soon
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!