which joystick do you use ? RESULTS SO FAR

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

mmike
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Location: building near marakana - stadium of red star, belgrade, serbia

Re: which joystick do you use ? RESULTS SO FAR

Postby mmike » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:45 pm

good joystick is essential. whithout that "divine bond" there is nothig much a player can accomplish in kick off 2.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 am

Mark W (pos 58 on the list - oooh the dizzy heights of the past!)

I used to use a Comp Pro 5000, but now use a Suzo Arcade Turbo....

I thank yow.

Mark
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
goonergaz
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby goonergaz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Konix Speed King :D
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:12 pm

gdh82 wrote:I've been thinking the same thing too, Mike. My CMS has kindly been repaired by Evil a few times but not sure how much life is left it, and as Jorn says us greek stick fans need to consider other options.

Competitions, Suzos and Wicos pop up un ebay quite reguarely. Never had a Wico stick, but they have a good reputation. The Suncom sticks are harder to get, US ebay is the best place to check out -> Suncom was very popular with the old Atari Consoles. I consider it practically impossible to get one of the Greek joysticks like Tomahawk or original metal version of CMS. The closest one gets to one of those is when (normally) loosing to a Greek player :wink:

mmike wrote:comp pro is crap for me, but since my amiga died just three days after rebirth, i had no choice but to use comp pro usb (hard to get proper atari to usb adapter here in sebia, no paypal, lot of stores don't want to send anything here), and my old topstar is not what he used to be.

i used to play on quickoy II turbo, and on quickjoy topstar. those 'sticks are best for me.

it seems that i've finaly found proper cable and a pair of topstars :)

I think the USB Competitions are worse in quality than the old original models. Just googeled up the Topstar - wild looking thing. Hope to see that one in action one day!
mmike
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Location: building near marakana - stadium of red star, belgrade, serbia

Postby mmike » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:56 pm

with a little luck, very soon :-)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 am

r.cross wrote:
gdh82 wrote:I've been thinking the same thing too, Mike. My CMS has kindly been repaired by Evil a few times but not sure how much life is left it, and as Jorn says us greek stick fans need to consider other options.

Competitions, Suzos and Wicos pop up un ebay quite reguarely. Never had a Wico stick, but they have a good reputation. The Suncom sticks are harder to get, US ebay is the best place to check out -> Suncom was very popular with the old Atari Consoles. I consider it practically impossible to get one of the Greek joysticks like Tomahawk or original metal version of CMS. The closest one gets to one of those is when (normally) loosing to a Greek player :wink:

Appreciate the suggestions, Mike. I'll explore further, including the Greek tip! :lol:
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:44 pm

would very much like to see this thread revived, I've become a complete joystick addict and find it very interesting to hear others thoughts on their sticks.

I hold the stick so found the tac-2 really comfortable to hold but love the feel of a cms so i made a a tac-2/cms hybrid. it's a tac-2 housing with cms insides and handle.
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:00 pm

Lee, how do you rate the reliability of the CMS circuit boards? I've repaired a few but they don't stay fixed for very long unfortunately and had instances where I've fitted a microswitch and it doesn't work...so I've then put the same microswitch in another position on the board and it works.
On the one's that initially work, they're okay for a few games but then it seems they're just not prepared for anymore than 4 games or so. Very strange!

I'm just using a bog standard soldering iron so perhaps there are better ways for more refined application maybe.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:33 pm

aye, sadly it's the nature of the small switches to be a bit crappy after so many years so i usually set new ones in... but changing them is a fairly regular thing. I personally think it's worth the effort cause i much prefer them over the bigger ones.

some of the solder connections can be dicey too, so i usually attach wires directly and hot glue the switches to the board instead, i found that to be overall more reliable and easier to change them
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:11 am

Never thought of doing that, so you glue the switch to the board and then solder it to the connector? Regarding the wire, you connect this to the same bit of solder too?

Out of all the one's I've fixed only one has stood the test of time, in some instances the particular direction has just stopped working no matter what switch I connect (using brand new). One issue I did have though is getting the connector to stay still so the hot glue technique could solve that...I presume if you ever want to get it off again it just clips out with a bit of force.

Would you have a photo of your handywork mate?
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:13 am

Feel free to add joystick info to the wiki for all to see!

https://wiki.playkickoff.com/index.php?title=Joysticks
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net