Throw In 0.85 - gameplay discussion

This forum is dedicated to the new football game Active Soccer (and Throw In) by TheFoxSoft.

Moderators: TheFoxSoft, Moderators, TheFoxSoft, Moderators

TheFoxSoft

Throw In 0.85 - gameplay discussion

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:27 am

EreWeGo wrote:excellent work on your latest beta mate, I played a few more games last night, had some great games! Smile
I've got a couple of quick questions for you, (if you want me to post in the forums, just let me know):

I posted a reply in the forums about the dribbling control, my thought is that the "simple" controls could be tweaked to be more like Sensible Soccer/SWOS controls, eg: the ball sticks to the players feet to a degree, but if you stop moving your player, the ball will continue rolling, and if you make quick truns etc, then you could lose the ball...try a few games of Amiga SWOS to see what I mean.

it could be a good idea, i want to improve the easy ball control for the next 0.86 beta. But i don't know if i have enough time to already implement your dribbling idea. But I'll try to do my best

EreWeGo wrote:I see that you mentioned there might be a team/player editor in the next version, but I was wondering how this would work? The reason I ask is that I see that there are quite a few bitmaps using the "fake" names of players, and more bitmaps for their jerseys - so how would a built-in editor handle that?

I would like to complete my internal team importer. Teams will be available in an Excel file so you can easily copy&paste, move rows & colums as well easily. The team importer should read that file and create the whole structure including textures.
Unfortunately i unintentionally deleted the team importer source code so i must redo most of the work.

EreWeGo wrote:I had a quick test of changing the text file for the teams, (changed Liverpol to Liverpool), and although the team name show up in the team selection okay, the game crashed with a "memory violation" error. Will there be a way to manually change the names of the teams/players to the "real" ones?

you should rename Liverpol directory to Liverpool. Then you must rename Liverpol.txt to Liverpool.txt

EreWeGo wrote:Okay, last question for now - is there any way to edit/change the SFX/Crowd chants etc? I'm assuming they're compiled in the "ThrowIn.dat" file? I have a good collection of sounds/chants that I used in mods for PC SWOS 96/97 and Sensible Soccer 2006, and I was hoping I could change some of the crowd chants/abient sounds etc...

Anyway, good work mate, I look forward to future releases!

Unfortunately i packed the sounds, maybe i can make it moddable in the next versions

Thank you for the feedback,
Gianluca
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re: Throw In 0.85 - gameplay discussion

Postby Danne » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:19 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:
EreWeGo wrote:I had a quick test of changing the text file for the teams, (changed Liverpol to Liverpool), and although the team name show up in the team selection okay, the game crashed with a "memory violation" error. Will there be a way to manually change the names of the teams/players to the "real" ones?

you should rename Liverpol directory to Liverpool. Then you must rename Liverpol.txt to Liverpool.txt

I could make a real teams and player mod with real teams and names if it is wanted.
EreWeGo
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby EreWeGo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi Gianluca,

thanks for answering my questions mate! :)
It looks like Danne and others are looking at real team/player mods etc, which is great.

By the way, I think the sounds in game are pretty good, it would just be a huge bonus if they were moddable...

Just out of curiosity, I'm assuming that most SFX are "event driven"?, like boos for a bad tackle, cheers for a goal etc? And are the background chants part of one big sound file that just plays in the background on a loop? Did you have any game-engine limitations for the sounds like length/size?

(Sorry for the annoying questions, just interested!)
:)
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:37 pm

EreWeGo wrote:By the way, I think the sounds in game are pretty good, it would just be a huge bonus if they were moddable...

Later version may have this feature but not 0.86.

Just out of curiosity, I'm assuming that most SFX are "event driven"?, like boos for a bad tackle, cheers for a goal etc?

yes, thats correct

And are the background chants part of one big sound file that just plays in the background on a loop?

The different chants are not part of the loop but are played randomly. (We will include more chants for later versions)

There is a background crowdloop but that doesnt contain any chants just 'noise' if you understand what I mean.

Did you have any game-engine limitations for the sounds like length/size?

no

thanx for your support and just so you no questions are never annoying. :)
JZ

Postby JZ » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Latest beta looking as promising as ever, nice one Foxy 8)

I agree with the modifiable sounds, they would be great, but for a much later version.

The main gameplay point I noticed was that players don't seem to be that solid- quite often players seem to run through eachother, which was maybe more noticable against the CPU than 2 player.
Any plans to change this?
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:29 pm

I suddenly realize that EreWeGo was a frequent poster on the Sensi2006 forum at the Codemasters website and that he was heavily involved in modding the game.

I believe in the end everybody was let down by the game and by the lack of information on the part of the Codies. I abandoned the game, forum and website ever since :roll:

But it's good to see someone like him appear here with an interest in modding TI. Welcome aboard, mate :)
EreWeGo
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby EreWeGo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:55 am

Calimero wrote:I suddenly realize that EreWeGo was a frequent poster on the Sensi2006 forum at the Codemasters website and that he was heavily involved in modding the game.

I believe in the end everybody was let down by the game and by the lack of information on the part of the Codies. I abandoned the game, forum and website ever since :roll:

But it's good to see someone like him appear here with an interest in modding TI. Welcome aboard, mate :)

hehehe, cheers Calimero :)

Yeah, modding Sensi2006 was both fun and incredibly frustrating - mainly due to Codies not giving the modders one bit of help whatsoever - even though we were trying to make the game they wouldn't patch better! :evil:

Ah well, it was an interesting time anyway... :)
Yo

Postby Yo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Danne wrote:
EreWeGo wrote:By the way, I think the sounds in game are pretty good, it would just be a huge bonus if they were moddable...

Later version may have this feature but not 0.86.

I like this 'KO 2002 feature' : the ability to assign music entry and goal sound to each team ...

I am going to test this version for the first time now. 8)
"Why do I work so hard ? It is the only way I know how to play." Man of the match : Dugarry
Muzzer71
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Muzzer71 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:51 pm

I've finally had a play of the 0.86 version, and I really like it - you guys have done a great job. I'm still struggling with the controls and getting beaten more often than not, but that's because I haven't played kick-off for years and I'm more used to SWOS and Sensi06 (yes, I actually liked the latter - especially modded).

Love the graphics and the various views that you can use. There are a few glitches, like the when the goalie holds the ball is looks pure white, the players can slide into the seats, and the referee goes into overdirve at corners, but they are tiny problems. The menu times aren't too bad on my PC, but it's a pretty good spec.

The one thing I would really like to be able to do is create new teams. I had a go at it, and it seems to be a huge task with all the various files you need. I had a go a few days ago and gave up after three hours thinking I was only about a third of the way through making a complete team - in particular having to create all the files in the Names and ShirtNumbers folders. Is it really that long winded, or am I making it harder than it should be? Is there a guide on what to do?

Would love to see an editor in the next version which you said could be coming when we spoke on the Codemasters forum.

Anyway, Keep up the good work, and I'll keep on practicing. And if you need any help on the team editing side then let me know.