Kick Off Association talk + website Updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

New KOA Landing Page

Postby durban » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Ok,

I have updated the KOA homepage...go check it out and let me know what we need to fix/change.

www.ko-gathering.com

apparently its what most people see when they come to look for us, I guess its important we get it right?

Regards,

Mark
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Re: New KOA Landing Page

Postby Steve Camber » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:40 pm

First impressions and all that. Well overdue and looking fresh :)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Getting nothing there now...
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Huh what you mean mate?
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:21 am

You're on fire, durban!

I noticed a couple of typos.

Forum: vistior
Wiki: Worlds (World's)
Statistics: rememebered
World Cup: usually its Gianni (it's)

Plus maybe a few too many capital letters, though being German I don't mind. World, Local, National, International, Pinnacle. The ex-journalist in me also says 2 = two when writing "two tournaments".

Other thoughts:

- "since 2001..." (... indicates a pause or omission). Just "since 2001." will do.

- Wall of Legends: Maybe a photo of our shield instead of... wavy lines?

- In fact, to be honest, I think all the pics could be improved upon. For the forum I would go with a snapshot of the actual forum as before (once we've decided on a style), same with the wiki, same with the KOASI (once it works again). And some nice photo - group photo or people playing or Gianni lifting the trophy - for the World Cup.

- And generally, while it's fairly stylish, all in black... why not try using an actual KO2 screenshot as the background? Like http://www.kickoffworld.net/wiki/images ... normal.png
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:27 am

durban wrote:Huh what you mean mate?

It seemed the page was down. Working nicely now.
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:00 pm

I typed most of the text on iphone but will fix when i get a chance.

As for the background i dont mind having small images, but NOT an full screen image like a pitch as we have tried to get the koa as fluid as possible meanin it works on phones, tablets and pc's and so we need to remember most phones will not be on wifi and full screen images would look terrible on a phone anyway.

As for the images I am not creating these images and ots hard to find any that look good at all sizes. The forum
Image i may do but i dunno if it looks that good really.

I wanted an kmage that stood out, i like the stats image as i think it looks good and pro, the others i am
Not so sure.

Agree we should personalise the images more but the scope is limited to whats available...and there isnt much.

However all comments will be taken and looked at obviously this is a koamocracy!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:02 pm

Sorry about spelling im always working so most pists are on iphone and the 6 keyboard is terrible and it annoys me so much i dont go back and fix
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:46 am

Spelling errors updated, thanks Alex.
As for the other things, I will see what I can sort out but can't promise much as when it comes to images I am a bit OCD...if I can't find something perfect I will leave it as it is.

I agree on the Blue Wavy Lines, I went through a lot of picture's but that column is actually a sidebar for NEWS and stuff, its not really part of the main page nor is it solely for the Legend's listing - if that makes sense - so I wanted something simple that had no purpose (a picture of a shield would invalidate all the other information, like the gallery etc - which I know is not currently active I just wanted it there as a place holder for now!)

I think that on the whole as a landing page its gotta be better than it was, so the people who land here will think we have moved on since the original page we had - nothing wrong with the old page of course, but it was in need of updating.
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:07 am

I agree with your last point, but I still think the landing page should look a bit more... kickoff-y. I don't know who made the website playkickoff.com, but that includes the pitch as a background image and I really like the banner, too. So something like that. More stylish, sure, but we are all about a 16-bit game, after all. And personally, I'd really replace all those photos. I mean, come on, a stadium from bloody Qatar of all places? And the Aussie kangaroo crossing sign - what do we have to do with Australia? All meant as positive criticism, of course, you're doing a great job, Mark!
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:23 am

Tripod wrote:I don't know who made the website playkickoff.com, but that includes the pitch as a background image and I really like the banner, too.

*raises hand*
It's just a work in progress - when ready it will be the download location for KO2CV, instead of using Freshy's webspace.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby SimonB » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 am

Nice work Durbs.

Just to reiterate Alex's feedback: the first time I went to the page, I couldn't actually tell that it was related to Kick Off 2 - it lacks that immediate "I know where I am and what I'm looking at" factor.

The solution is simple:

1. Stick in the KO2 logo
2. Replace the stock football images above the wiki / forum / legends columns with KO2 screenshots (animated?)
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
Danny D
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Danny D » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 am

I agree with Alex and Simon and also want to commend Durban on his Sterling work once again. Have a look at this proof of concept : https://kickoff2worldcup.com/ko-gathering.com/

Alex and Simon, hopefully the prototype incorporates your suggestions? If so , I can finish it off and hand it over to Durban to release (assuming that's ok with Durban)?

Some comments:
Steve Camber's pitch background is actually tiny and not a full screen image and also works great on mobile devices.
The koa logo needs some css around it to work on mobile devices.
I haven't updated the stock images, this needs to be done
"We are now on the threshold of a newer movement, with a newer hope and a new inspiration."
James Larkin