... making the KO forums a better place?

Kick Off Association talk + website Updates, like or dislike

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:14 am

Anyway, going back to Martin's request for evidence - I'd rather not go down that road as its likely to lead to finger-pointing and blame whereas I'd prefer to view this as a forum issue. A number of members have raised similar concerns but if anyone doesn't share this view, then we can simply agree to differ.

If you do differ, though, and you don't think the forum can be improved, then maybe this thread isn't for you? I've certainly not got any interest in entering a prolonged exchange of tit-for-tat, point-scoring posts.

Much rather exchange a few goals in a game of KO2 with you fellas, that's for sure! :) Thank god its kobra night tonight :D
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:02 am

That's why we like you Gary - always trying to improve something :-)
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:08 am

This is off topic as usual, but when we scored a gool from the sidenet (you know, those non-goals that count) in Milan, Gianni and me called it: "a Garry goal" :)
MJB
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby MJB » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:29 am

So Gary you start a negative topic "STOPPING THE ROT" in BIG CAPITALS in which you suggest off-topic posts and in-jokes are the main reasons for this decline.
Yet when a few comments to the contrary are made all you can say is you don't want to discuss as it will lead to finger pointing :evil:

I am capable of having sensible debate but if you are not it would be nice if you didn't start such DEMORALISING topics in the first place.

Wassup with mentioning a couple of people who have had enough and don't post anymore? I don't understand why you think this will lead to persecution, we haven't even reached a double figure page count yet!

Come on debate.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

... making the KO forums a better place?

Postby gdh82 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:10 pm

Last edited by gdh82 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:21 pm

Robert Swift wrote:That's why we like you Gary - always trying to improve something :-)

Sad but probably true! :) Think I'll stick to KO2 related suggestion in future. :( :wink:

Abyss wrote:This is off topic as usual, but when we scored a gool from the sidenet (you know, those non-goals that count) in Milan, Gianni and me called it: "a Garry goal" :)

From bug hunting to non-goals, my koa reputation is growing! :lol:

MJB wrote:So Gary you start a negative topic "STOPPING THE ROT" in BIG CAPITALS in which you suggest off-topic posts and in-jokes are the main reasons for this decline. I am capable of having sensible debate but if you are not it would be nice if you didn't start such DEMORALISING topics in the first place.

I will come back to you mate but I've got my KOBRA glasses on today so it'll just have to wait.

For now I'll just emphasise again the point of this thread:

gdh82 wrote:The idea for this came from Claire's recent thread and the subsequent postings, I've quoted from below.

I'd like this thread to be about our ideas for making the forum a better, more inviting place for koa-ers everywhere. Ely's quote below, I think, contains a lot of good ideas that we could easily adopt here - what do you think ?

And, if it helps, I've taken the 'stopping the rot' bit from the title! Honestly - it wasn't meant to be demoralising!!

Sam
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sam » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:50 am

Some people actually like to talk about controversal issues, but some people are easily offended, but still insist on contributing and flaming and then get annoyed and leave.
Time is running out...
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:46 am

This thread is super foolness, Gladiator is much better. Come on Beckite get yer jacket we're leaving. Everyone here is a muppet.

Ok, having got that off my chest, I don't really see a problem and things don't seem much different to me than they did 1 or two years ago. I think one of the big things here is that most of the people know each other and therefore 'in' jokes will naturally follow. On nearly every other forum I go to, I don't personally know anyone and so there is a different level of interraction. It's part of the charm of the KOA forums IMHO.

As far as I'm concerned the KOA isn't so much about the forums as the tournaments. I agree that it can seem cliquey to outsiders but we were all outsiders once. The best advice I can give to a n00b is to get along to a tournament and meet the people face to face. You'll soon get a warm feeling and develop you own in jokes :D. I know it can be daunting going to meet a bunch of strangers but I can only assure you that it is worth it. My first tournament was at Robert's flat and he was an amazingly welcoming host and everyone there was friendly and warm. The mere fact that we are all still playing this 20 year old game brings about an amazing bond.

As for the pretty model picture I posted in the Ugly Betty discussion, it was completely on topic and tasteful. There were no tits or arse and as the Ugly actress had been suggested to be as good looking as any model it seemed relevant. I removed the image after Claire objected as I don't want to upset anyone, (well apart from Robert :wink: :lol:).
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:55 am

Whole heartedly agree with the honourable Mr Bishop!!!!

(see... used that instead of "what BountyBob said") :wink:

I remember being a n00b, and thinking all these guys are stupid having all these arguments on a forum about whatever the heck PBD is and whether Team A > Team B is better or not...

Since attending my first tournament at Robs place (thanx man, again) I see what all the fuss is about!

It was an eye opening experience ... and since then I have hosted my own tournaments and done some crazy journeys to attend other events (Newent was just off the hook, Bob! ... and Germany).

This place is great. If you don't take it too seriously! :)
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
MJB
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby MJB » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:59 am

Gary?
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:23 pm

MJB wrote:Gary?
That just made me laugh so much! :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry Garry)
Sam
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sam » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:29 pm

Who's f***king Gary?
Time is running out...
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

I want to say his wife.

But I think the answer you're looking for is gdh82.