Kick Off Association talk + website Updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

AmiGer
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

CARE project & WHDLoad slaves

Postby AmiGer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:15 am

Hello,

I'm AmiGer from the CARE project http://www.discreetfx.com/care/ .
Goal of this project is the reverse engineering of old retro games from the legendary Commodore Amiga and the modification of those games to own needs. This is achieved by disassembling/decompiling and analyzing the original unmodified binaries and reassembling/recompiling the created/modified sources.

I just want to contact you to introduce oneself and maybe to exchange notes. I wish you all the best to you and your project for the future. Are you fixed to the Kick Off game or are you interested in doing the same with other games ? Then you could think about in creating a joint venture one day.

You could also have a look at the CARE forum http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=58 at eab.

Thanks in advance,
CARE project
AmiGer (Founder)
Last edited by AmiGer on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)

Postby filippodb » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:12 am

:) Hi Amiger! No we're not focused on Kick Off, we love also player manager! :lol:
We tried to contact you because we need some help to install Player Manager and the new reverse-engineered version of Kick Off 2 (the competition version) on HD!
BTW the main developers of the Kick Off Research Project Society (KORPS) are: Steve Camber, Jesper and Vag :idea:
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:44 am

Welcome AmiGer!!!!

Take a look here as to how you were discovered as our potential saviour...

http://www.ko-gathering.com/phpbb2/view ... hp?t=10803

Hope you enjoy your stay!!
The cabin crew will be arriving shortly with the drinks and snacks....
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
jesper
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby jesper » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:50 am

Thanks for stopping by AmiGer. Can I ask you a question?

I was wondering how difficult it would be to make our own Player Manager (or Kick Off 2) version which plays off the harddisk. If we only target Amigas which play the games already we don't need to use a Kickstart replacement as WHDLoad does. Standard A1200 and A500 with 1mb would do I think.

Do you think this sounds feasible?
You cannot avoid the Google [Bot]
AmiGer
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby AmiGer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:31 am

1. I'm not a miggy harddisk expert, the WHDLoad guys are better for this

2. What do you want to do (on the amiga) ?

a) Make a runable one file version of the game, start it from harddisk, turn off the system and never use the harddisk again (just custom format disks), never return to the OS -> possible (if you have enough memory)

b) Make a runable file version of the game, start it from harddisk, turn off the system and access the harddisk later, return to OS -> just possible with WHDLoad

3. Why do you want to do it ?

4. Is Steve Camber an amiga developer ? If yes, the a) should not be a problem.

5. How is your current Kick Off 2/PlayerManager game running ? By booting from the disk drive ?
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:36 am

Last time I ever heard about a WHDLoad patch of Player Manager was on January.. they were at 5%. AFAIK, they never went beyond that.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:37 am

AmiGer wrote:5. How is your current Kick Off 2/PlayerManager game running ? By booting from the disk drive ?

yes...
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:41 am

Sid wrote:
AmiGer wrote:5. How is your current Kick Off 2/PlayerManager game running ? By booting from the disk drive ?

yes...

No, we do have a WHDLoad patch for KO2 (Kick Off 1 and Kick Off 1 - Extra Time as well). It's a beta, but it works ok.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
jesper
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby jesper » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:06 pm

AmiGer wrote:2. What do you want to do (on the amiga) ?

a) Make a runable one file version of the game, start it from harddisk, turn off the system and never use the harddisk again (just custom format disks), never return to the OS -> possible (if you have enough memory)

b) Make a runable file version of the game, start it from harddisk, turn off the system and access the harddisk later, return to OS -> just possible with WHDLoad

What I would like is a a) but using the harddisk for savefiles. Returning to the OS is not essential. Especially if it means that we otherwise we can run off standard A1200's and A500's with 1mb + harddisk. "Just" a) would be the first step though.

3. Why do you want to do it ?

To avoid floppies and diskswapping. The Kick Off 2 WHDLoad version we have disables saving replays and tactics. In Player Manager you need to swap floppies at least at the end of season, and if you play many seasons you need many savedisks. Sometimes they get corrupted.

4. Is Steve Camber an amiga developer ? If yes, the a) should not be a problem.

He is originally an Atari guy and has very good 68K skills. Don't know
how much Amiga specific stuff he knows.
You cannot avoid the Google [Bot]
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:51 pm

AmiGer wrote:4. Is Steve Camber an amiga developer ? If yes, the a) should not be a problem.

KO2CV is the only Amiga project I've been involved in. My 68000 skillz were developed on the AtariST while writing games for fun in the early 90s, so the Amiga is new to me.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
AmiGer
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby AmiGer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:14 pm

As far as I can see it's the best for you to use a WHDLoad slave, the only senseful solution to avoid floppy disk access.
You could contact Galahad to finish the slave for the original Kick Off 2 (why it isn't ?). Then adapt this slave to your own Kick Off 2 mod (maybe also by Galahad).
Or ask Galahad or one of the other WHDLoad guys to get the source of the slave and finish it on yourself.
filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)

Postby filippodb » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:58 pm

AmiGer wrote:As far as I can see it's the best for you to use a WHDLoad slave, the only senseful solution to avoid floppy disk access.
You could contact Galahad to finish the slave for the original Kick Off 2 (why it isn't ?). Then adapt this slave to your own Kick Off 2 mod (maybe also by Galahad).
Or ask Galahad or one of the other WHDLoad guys to get the source of the slave and finish it on yourself.

seems they have some problems on Dino DIni games, not only we don't have a full working WHDload for Kick Off but we never had one for Player Manager :cry:

that's why we asked your help :!:
AmiGer
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby AmiGer » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:08 am

As I mentioned I'm not a WHDLoad and hard disk expert. If Galahad (one of the best miggy crackers around) has problems to fix the slave then I would have even more problems. You really should contact him... It's not senseful to create a new WHDLoad slave from the scratch if there's still one.