FTW II - Leicester I - 07/05/11 - RCM Open Day

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

FTW II - Leicester I - 07/05/11 - RCM Open Day

Postby gdh82 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:11 pm

FTW - Part I
FTW - Part II
FTW - Part III

As part of the 'Frank and Thorsten's Weekend', we shall be putting Leicester on the KOA map when we attend the Retro Computer Museum Open Day. 8)

The aim of RCM is that we want to open a Retro Computer/Console Museum to the public, a very much hands on museum where people can play the machines that started the home computer/gaming explosion. The museum currently owns just over 150 different systems, along with some duplicates too which takes us to over 250 systems.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Re: FTW - Day 2 - 07/05/11 - Retro Computer Museum Open Day

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Having been to the 8 Bits recently I'm really looking forward to this mate. Doing battle with our good friends from Germany and also enjoying the other systems there. Hopefully will gain some more Kick Off 2 fans who didnt realise the great game is still played today.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: FTW - Day 2 - 07/05/11 - Retro Computer Museum's Open Da

Postby gdh82 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Full details to follow of a retro-tastic day including a 10-man RCM Newcomer's Cup! 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

SirClive
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: FTW - Part II - 07/05/11 - Retro Computer Museum's Open

Postby SirClive » Sun May 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Really enjoyed the newcomers tournament. Got me back addicted to KO2. We played a lot of it today at RCM too :)
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:17 pm

:D Super stuff Sir Clive! Going to post on the RCM forum but needless to say I (well all 4 of us really!) really enjoyed yesterday and seeing all the people reaquainting themselves with Kick Off 2 was superb. Your last game on Saturday (i think 5-3?) was great how the goals were flowing in.(Did Boggyb68 get his own back today??) hehe.

Appreciate your offer of support for the world cup too bud. We'l talk about things in good time matey but this video gives you a brief glimpse into the world cups that occur every year:

I'd definetly attend again thats for sure. Didnt really 'sink in' what other systems were there till it was too late really and next time I'd love to have a day just playing on the other stuff!

Will also post the competition versions in the post too - I know that lots of people were very impressed with the fine additions to the game by Steve Camber. To find out the things that have been added Click here
Last edited by Steve1977 on Sun May 08, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirClive
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby SirClive » Sun May 08, 2011 5:19 pm

Yeah that last game was awesome! We couldn't replicate that today though and every game finished either 0-0 or 1-0, though we were playing on the standard Final Whistle version. Be great to get my hands on the competition version.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Final Whistle is bloody hard thats for sure. You'r not on your own with the 1-0, 0-0 score lines...thats why I prefer Kick Off 2 - easier to score! A guy called John Wilson did a Competition Version of Kick Off 2: Final Whistle too and I other forum members still like to play it (Dave Toast or Ely - bit tired to remember).
That one Amiga with the HD full of games was a sight to behold.

Will post out a few copies for each of you...if you know anyone else who wants a copy then just PM and I'll sort u out.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:51 pm

In 'pea soup' driving conditions our first game of the day was finding our way through Birmingham's Spaghetti Junction! Ste was kindly undertaking the driving duties and I was 'navigating'. Well, sort of. We'd earlier joked with Thorsten and Frank that getting lost is all part of the experience but didn't expect it to happen on our doorstep. After literally going around in circles, it was third time lucky before we made it out and were on our way to Leicester. Phew!

With the route we took highlighted! :lol:

We've recently began attending the 8-Bit Lounge but never a proper retro-event like this before. I was immediately impressed the moment I walked in, feeling like I stepped through some kind of time portal. I felt an air of excitement seeing and hearing all these systems and games from yesteryear, bringing back a sense of childhood awe. :) :) :) I wrongly thought I knew a thing or two on the subject given my own gaming history but I was less than a novice here having not even seen half of the kit on show! There were people of all ages, families, techies, gamers and all round retro enthusiasts, and the spirit was open and friendly. The staff there were extremely helpful and approachable, and were fine with us putting up a KOA World Cup poster and even helped us set up shop ourselves. After a bacon butty we were ready for action!

We played a few friendlies, partly to attract the interest of others, but we were slightly torn with what to do next. A big part of us just wanted to spend all day playing on all the retro-systems available :D but another part of us wanted to organise some tourney action! Of course we did a bit of both. I had great fun playing 'Thrust' again on the Commordore SX64. Can't remember that last time I saw a working ZX81 in the flesh either, and the same for an Oric-1. It was probably my first go on a TI-99 and not a bad version of Space Invaders too. A big Spectrum fan at heart, I was slightly bewildered to see some kind of mutant machine called a Specadore! (a hybrid Speccy/64). :eeko: And it was great to see Frank and Thorsten having fun taking part in the 10-man Bomberman contest on the big screen. :) The not-so-retro PS3 version of Pacman was very impressive too.

Anyway, after lunch, the staff made an announcement to everyone about our plans for a kick off 2 fun cup competition beginning at 2.30pm. We originally wanted to find at least 3 willing participants so that including ourselves we'd have 8 of us. We followed up the public announcement with some face-to-face recruitment. Me and Ste had quite a laugh doing this, especially when we occasionally got a very blank expression in reply! (Not everyone is as nuts about KO2 as us :lol:) Nevertheless, we suddenly had 8 new willing players so it made sense for us regulars to step aside. As I set up the spreadsheet, there was yet more interest, totalling 10 players which was fantastic, including the late, late entrant by none other than SirClive! 8)

RCM NEWCOMERS CUP aka Leicester I

QUALIFERS
Mark Bp 1 - 0 Stuart S
James R 0 - 2 Gordon S

QUARTER FINALS

Mark Bp 0 - Simon H 1
John M 0 - 0 Gary T (0-2 after pens)
Matt B 0 - 0 Arthur V (1-0 after pens)
Simon Bu 0 - 1 Gordon S

SEMI FINALS
Simon H 0 - 0 Gary T (2-0 after pens)
Matt B 0 - 2 Gordon S

FINAL
Simon H 0 - 1 Gordon S

(All players were making KOA debuts apart from John M. All players are english apart from Arthur V who is dutch)

It was great fun watching these very even battles between players new to KO2 and others returning to the game after quite an absence. And to read above that Sir Clive/Gordon S has rediscovered KO2 appetite again is just fantastic. :) All games were played in a friendly spirit, with players laughing at their own as well as each others' mistakes. Games were usually very tight, and as the clock ticked, the later the goal scoring chance, the greater the drama for a near miss. I remember Simon H's match was decided by a neat corner goal in the dying seconds. A number of matches understandably went to penalties though, but even these aren't so easy to convert. Sir Clive caught the eye as a potential contender for the title right from the start, and indeed he went all the way. Well played! 8)

Game on! (Simon Bu v Steve, Gordon S v Frank)

More friendlies were played afterwards and other players joined in too. It would be superb to see some of these new guys at future tournaments.

It was getting near closing time by now so as the homemade marshmallow went around (cheers Ste for putting me off! :lol:) we said our goodbyes. By the end of the day, we'd began to get to know a number of people, and felt sad we were leaving. I can fully understand why this was a weekender event, and would certainly like to return again in the future. Thanks again to Andy Spencer, the rest of the staff and everyone there for giving us a great day out.

SirClive
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: FTW II - Leicester I - 07/05/11 - RCM Open Day

Postby SirClive » Tue May 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Nice write up! Captured the spirit of the event and the tourney. It was great for us as we normally run Sensi compo's at any events we organise (though RCM wasn't one of ours, we do put on larger events around the country, with our flagship show being Replay Expo in Blackpool). We will definitely be adding KO to the list now, especially when we have the competition version of the game.

Don't know if any of you guys post on the Retro Gamer forum, but I have mentioned the tourney on there and copied the write up (in the thread about RCM in the Off Topic forum) so hopefully you will get a few new people popping across to check out KOA.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Cheers SirClive! Recalling and recording a few memories is all part of making the fun last longer. :) Thanks for linking to us from the Retro Gamer Forum too.

Myself and Steve were well up for R3PLAY last year but things didn't quite pan out, and with our World Cup responsibilities the following weekend we're probably doubtful this year unfortunately, though it certainly an event we MUST attend at some point.

Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:18 am

Finally got round to uploading a few photo's we took from the RCM open day. As for the weekend itself...upon leaving there was an over-riding sense that I simply hadnt seen anything. There were so many things to choose from I kept on flitting back and forth to different machines and what an array there were. The staff there made us feel very welcome indeed and were always on hand to give us a little help, whether it be looking for multi sockets or getting more players for a kick off tournament! (I think it was Mike who actually announced us on the mic - much kudos!). Felt a bit weird going round asking people if they'r into football - now I know what Jehovah's Witnesses feel like :lol: . In all seriousess though, the machines...wow. The main room was fantastic with a section of prizes...one was some framed artwork for Match Day - man those covers...just transported me back to the days of spectrum cassettes where it seemed like the lack of graphical quality in the games was more than made up with the Drew Struzan-like artwork. Faves will always be Daley Thompsons Decathalon and Flight Simulator. That's what this day was all about, bringing back those feelings of melancoly of the old days. For me the only old machines were the Spectrum 48k and Commodore 64...or so I thought! There were loads! Cool going on the Atari Jaguar too.
In another room I noticed an A1200 somewhere and the noticed the holy grail...it was jam packed full of games on the HD all accessable via a easy to use menu and the cherry on the cake was it all was all playable on a projector! Very cool indeed.
Also I have to say the staff working on the catering were very nice too and despite this event being in the country other places may have made the most of this exclusivity with high prices but not these guys. Very, very commendable that everything was a great place but of a high quality too. Felt like going up more than once to get some food.

Great to play Kick Off too but it was much more fun seeing these guys rediscovering the great game like I did back in 2006. One great thing too was people wernt clicque at all and everyone was very warm and welcoming...if such an event occured again then I'd definetly try and attend. Then I'd settle down with a warm cup of tea and play solidly on one of the old machines hehe. Top weekend guys.
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Mon May 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Sounds awesome! Damn, wish I'd been there.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:05 pm

Same time next year, Steve? :)