Dubai International, 5th March 2011 - Updated 24/11

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Robert

Dubai International, 5th March 2011 - Updated 24/11

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:04 pm

PLEASE SEE MAJOR UPDATES ON PAGES 3 and 4

The United Arab Emirates is committed to hosting the highest levels of world sport including the Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix, International Test Cricket, the FIFA World Club cup as well as prestigious tennis and golf tournaments. Therefore it is fitting that we add Kick Off 2 to this list.

So, as requested by some players and mentioned at the Italian, UK and World Championships this year, I will make an effort to organize the first KO2 tournament outside of Europe. This will be my one attempt and, if I get low interest from the start, the project will be on hold until 2012 or even permanently.

List of players

Confirmed interest on forum
1. Robert S
2. Sascha W (+1) Self-catering
3. Nikos A (+0)
4. Mark W (+1)
5. Gianni T (+1)
6. Alessandro V (+1)
7. Marco D (+0?)
8. Jacob K (+1)
9. Frank F (+1)
10. Klaus L (+0)

Possibles/interested
11. Waynie L (+0)
12. Oliver S (+0)
13. Marco S (+?)

THE BAD NEWS - TRAVEL COSTS
Do not even continue reading if you cannot get hold of €400-€500 for a flight. I have checked the costs from Athens, Milan, London, Frankfurt and Dusseldorf for the period Jan-Mar 2011 and this is the cost. Europe to Dubai is a 5-7 hour flight, 80% as far as New York, and the cost is therefore in proportion. It's not on the Ryanair or Easyjet network. You'll be travelling with Emirates, Etihad, Lufthansa, Alitalia, BA or Virgin.

THE GOOD NEWS - EVERYTHING ELSE
On the positive side, all of these airlines provide an excellent service which makes the journey an actual pleasure. If you are still reading, I will summarize the benefits available to participants in this tournament:

1) Visiting UAE
The weather in the UAE is excellent in winter. Temperatures in March will be approximately 25 degrees with guaranteed sunny days for your entire visit. Dubai itself is well worthy of a 4-5 day visit, offering a range of options active and inactive, that are too long to summarize here. This might be the one chance you have to satisfy curiosity and visit probably the nicest place in the Middle East; you only live once after all.

2) Travelling onwards
Dubai/Abu Dhabi is a huge travel hub offering great onward connections to Asia, India, Australia and Africa. Consider attending the tournament and going on further for a second part to your holiday. You might be able to achieve this at little extra cost if you make Dubai/Abu Dhabi a stopover on your outbound or return itinerary.

3) Tournament
As could be expected from the UAE, everything about this tournament will be a 'first class' experience. I have organized a number of international tournaments and know exactly how look after guests. Facilities will be excellent and the location will be awesome. I have worked out a means to provide the necessary Amigas/TV's to support a tournament of 10-15 players if needed.

4) Cost advantages
If you can afford the flight cost, I will do my best to make everything else as light as possible. There will be no tournament fee. I can provisionally make arrangements to provide free accommodation for approximately 8-12 people for the duration of their stay. This will be done by vacating my own flat and a colleague's flat for use of the KOA. Having said this, I live in the Dubai Marina/Jumeirah Beach Residence complex with a large number of excellent luxury hotels that are just begging for your business in a depressed international tourism market. If we were to book more than a couple of rooms I would of course attempt to obtain a discount. I can also obtain discounts of up to 15% on Emirates and Etihad flights by booking through my company travel agent.

NEXT STEPS

I am going to keep this thread open for three weeks of discussion and planning, however I suggest that a go/no go decision should be made based on a minimum/maximum number of players. If the 'go' decision is taken, this should be by mid-November so that all flights can be booked together before costs increase.

If you are interested, please indicate the seriousness of your interest, and whether you are interested for yourself or yourself+1. I very much appreciate that the only way that +1's will allow you to spend €400-€500 on a ticket is if they come as well, indeed I think this is the main factor that could kill the event. But let's try. I can do my best to support +1's and there is much here to interest them. Including (sigh) the largest shopping mall in the world.

Feel free to ask **ANY** questions about Dubai, the UAE, the organization and the event itself. I could easily provide 3x as much info as above but I prefer to answer specific questions.

Robert
Panayotis7

Re: Dubai International, 5th-6th March 2011

Postby Panayotis7 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:00 am

Let me tell you why I will not be attending. I will not be attending because I am stuck in a low-paying dead-end job, with absolutely no prospects whatsoever, but because I have the misfortune to live in a poor ass fucked up shithole of a country, the money I make is actually considered "good" and if I left this job I would end up in an even lower paying one. Add to that the fact that I will be moving up to higher rent, which, like everything in this cesspool, is disproportionately high compared to average wages, and all the shit that moving and buying new stuff for a new place will cost (which are more expensive than in the USA, for example, where one would make 3x the money I make here for doing the exactly the same thing). So yeah, unless I win the fucking lottery or some uncle I am not aware of, who stroke it rich in Brazil, dies and makes me his sole heir, there is no way I'll be able to come.

Or you can choose the short answer: I'm afraid I will not be able to attend.
Proud Tartufist
Sascha

Postby Sascha » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:28 am

As I live in the country that stole Panayotis´s money (I have learned this *multiple times* at the weekend) I would love to spend his money travelling to Dubai. I yet have to talk to my wife, but I am sure she will be happy if we two (plus Jannis) would go. I will most likely spend my Frequent-Traveller-Miles, so there is only taxes (about 250 EUR) for our tickets to pay.
I would like to stay in a hotel, which I just tried to look up, but I experienced that according to Google Maps the whole coast-line is called Marina/Jumeirah. Could you give us a more specific address, so that we are within walking distance? The hotels seem to be rather cheap for the quality they promise.

Do you have any idea of the tournaments timeline? I know that you do not even know how many people are coming and if this whole event takes place. But I am sure that my wife would not be delighted if I would be in the tournament for the whole saturday and sunday. Perhaps starting later on Saturday and finish earlier on Sunday would be an option? This would leave more time for familiy activities.
Visit http://www.kickoff2.com

- German Kick Off 2 Headquarter and Forum
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:55 am

Panayotis - understand. Although maybe you are looking at this wrong. You sound like someone that needs to emigrate to UAE, not just visit it.

Sasha - tournament would only last one day. You should come for at least 4 nights I think. There is plenty to do. UAE is very child-friendly. The hotels within 300m of my flat are: Sofitel, Amwaj Rotana, Hilton, Sheraton, Movenpick. Search under Jumeirah Beach Residence. These hotels are all on The Walk (try searching that too) which is a 1.6km beach with shops, restaurants etc. This is where I live. Yes, the prices should be quite good if you book well in advance. These are luxury hotels but they are competing with each other very hard. They have a lot of empty rooms. They started building these hotels before the global economic crisis.

Edit: quick links...

Sofitel
Rotana
Hilton
Sheraton
Movenpick
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:36 am

I will seriously think about it. I see direct flights from Athens only with Emirates (4h 15m). I see non-direct flights with

-Gulf Air
-Turkish
-Egyptair
-Qatar (best in terms on non-direct flight with regard to flight duration)
-More expensive Swiss and Austrian Airlines

Emirates is about 500 at the moment. Qatar is 450.

Robert, since I have never heard of Qatar Airways services, do we have any idea if they are any good? Primary concern is safety and not food or beautiful stewardess. Qatar are our good Arab brothers since they offered to invest some money in the degrading Greek Economy and make a Las Vegas-like resort in northern Athens so I would happily fly with them.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:43 am

I will ask my father if he knows about them, Nikos.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Panayotis7

Postby Panayotis7 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Robert Swift wrote:Panayotis - understand. Although maybe you are looking at this wrong. You sound like someone that needs to emigrate to UAE, not just visit it.

Anywhere I travel to is a destination I should emigrate to, not just visit :roll: The US is of course the top goal, but things are not that simple, considering I am not by myself. I have been working on subtle brain washing though :D
Proud Tartufist
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Serious question....as I am planning on a trip to Durban in 2011 around this time but will have a 4yr old with me.

Will there be facilities for a 4 yr old (I presume not but asking just in case!)

And no, she will not be playing KO2 as she may just beat me!

Mark
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:45 pm

There are facilities for a 4 year old.

Neekos, Qatar Airways are an extremely high quality outfit like Etihad and Emirates. Qatar is an extremely rich country and there is no way they would have a crap airline. I recommend looking at the Doha transfer option if it saves more than €100. By the way, I think the cheapest option for you may be Turkish Airlines with a change in Istanbul.
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Dubai would have been a great starting tournament of the new year. Thanks for the offer to host it, Robert.

To do a Panayotis: I was fined for speeding after driving 1,970 km (a little more than 30 km away from Ostersund) on the way home from Dusselforf. The fine was as heavy as the flightticket to Dubai would have been, so very likely not any chance for me to make that journey.
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Queen Mary, Cousin, Valentina and I are seriously thinking on it.
Robert, thank you very much for your invitation!
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:10 pm

hogstrom wrote:Dubai would have been a great starting tournament of the new year. Thanks for the offer to host it, Robert.

To do a Panayotis: I was fined for speeding after driving 1,970 km (a little more than 30 km away from Ostersund) on the way home from Dusselforf. The fine was as heavy as the flightticket to Dubai would have been, so very likely not any chance for me to make that journey.

Sheeeeeeeeit......... :cry:
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Posts like this which make me wish you was back in Blighty Rob. Im going to have to completely rule myself out though due to the cost of the flights. From my own point of view I will be attending the 2011 World Cup and the cost of that would probably be cheaper than the cost of a flight to Dubai.
However if I win the lottery then I'll pay for everyone to go there, ask if we can call it the world cup and give everyone spending money after completing both days of kick off 2 actioin.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place