UK CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 |10.10.09| RESULTS & REPORTS

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: UK CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 |10.10.09| RESULTS & REPORTS

Postby gdh82 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:41 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Many of the games are a blur now, but the 6-7 game with Martin stands out for me. I had barber sent off in the 3rd minute which made for a tense, amazing battle as I switched to 424 and we traded goal after goal right up to the final whistle. :D

Happened to come to this game just as the whistle went. Sounded an amazing game - and what a superb 10-man performance from Camberman! 8) 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Robert Swift wrote:The game of the day for me was the 4-4 with Martin Beard. I went into a 3-0 lead and spurned a chance for 4th. In the second half, Martin came back strongly with robot goals and eventually went into a 4-3 lead. I had to come out of Lockout but managed to get an equalizer on 10:25. Then in the dying seconds I got a corner, but the whistle went before I could take it. It would have been unlucky for either of us to lose this game.

I'd just finished one of my games when I was drawn to the closing stages of the Beard v Swift encounter - due to the volume of the players!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Love the those loud, passionate games with each player cheering and jerring in equal measure! It seemed that Martin had completed an amazing comeback when he made it 4-3 in injury time :shock: only for Rob to score his own injury time goal moments after. What a cracker! 8) 8) 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Congratulations to everyone. The UK Champs is an institution that must never be abandoned. Remember, it was the very first KOA national championship ever held.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
MJB
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby MJB » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:21 am

First of all I would like to thank Gary & Steve for organising a fun tournament. I had a great time, plenty of laughs and super KO2 action, thanks to everyone!

My top three games:

1. Robert S 4 Martin B 4

A classic. I had memories of a heavy defeat at Robert's hands early on...I thought "oh no here we go again". But I had a word with myself and found that when I really tried, I could find some form and some goals and made it all the way back to 4 vs 3 up after being 0 vs 3 down. I was most pleased with being able to penetrate lock out, something i struggled to do last time. I was happy with a point especially when Robert had a corner just as the final whistle blew.

2. Steve C 6 Martin B 7

I genuinely felt sorry for Steve losing this. I would have been pissed had I been Steve. He played an epic game without Barber for the majority of the game, fair play. Excellent goal for goal stuff :) Much respect to Steve for playing this game in the spirited manner he did.

3. Martin B 4 Garry C 2

This was very close, Gary was all over me in this one to start with but just could not convert his chances. This was to be his downfall, because I took my chances in a hard fought battle that cost me my first ever breakage of a Competition Pro. I switced from a Quick Shot II to a Competition pro after the World Cup in Dartford because the QSII could not handle the rigours of KO2. I have not broke a Comp Pro until now......

Finally I must give a big shout out to Jon G - well done on a top notch perfomance. A worthy holder of the title of UK Champion for another year.
Breaking sticks for 30 years...
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Martin, is your joystick fixed now? You will need it for the World Cup.

Hurry up and confirm!
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:31 pm

gdh82 wrote:
Robert Swift wrote:I just wanted to say that I REALLY ENJOYED playing Kick Off 2 and talking with everyone today. The UK Championships are worth the effort to organize and must never be allowed to lapse into inactivity. The feeling is so different these days - all the anger and egos are gone - what's left is just a genuinely nice bunch of people having a genuinely nice time.

14 players wasn't so bad after all, either - this really felt like a full size UKC. It's just a shame James Beard didn't make it. I know Martin Beard really enjoyed himself and we stayed talking quite a while afterwards as no-one wanted to go home! There was even a half-serious suggestion of another tournament .... which was very tempting.

Great organizing there by Garry - and I think we have a good location, which we should keep using every year. The bias is definitely shifting away from the South with the disappearance of some key people down here, but Birmingham and the M5 are becoming a heartland for KO2.

Thanks for what you said in support of the UKCs, Robert. Its appreciated. :)

I'm really happy when I read words like these!
Glad that you all had great fun!
Many compliments to Jon, he is always the UK top gun. perfect tournament, 13-0-0.
Nice numbers for Steve too, it's impressive to read 6.31 goal per game and a very good defence as well.
Good performance also for Robert, again he loses a position due to goal difference, maybe is better that he plays with blitz instead of lockout! :)
Anyway, reading the results and final table I see many and many fights! Damn, I miss the tournament's atmosphere!!!!
Fortunately the world cup is at the doors...
And now, come on UK! Join the world cup! The Holy Shiled wants you!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Steve E,8,Mandhir S,1,
Steve E,5,Garry C,2,
Ren A,0,Steve E,11,
Andy G,2,Steve E,8,
Steve E,10,Graham S,3,
Steve E,6,Grant N,2,
Simon K,7,Steve E,3,
Steve E,10,Steve C,2,
Steve E,6,Andy H,0,
Martin B,3,Steve E,3,
Robert S,1,Steve E,5,
Andy E,2,Steve E,4,
Jon G,9,Steve E,3,

gdh82 wrote:Equal if not more credit for the organizing goes of course to Steve E. From his fantastically creative posters, banners and avatars, the buying of the medals/trophies (he had a bit of self-interest there admittedly!), spreading the word on forums and facebook, booking the venue, to taking photos on the day, he did loads. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what I did!! hehehe

Trust me mate, if it wasn’t for you then this UK Champs wouldn’t have happened! Lots of things were ideas of Gaz, some of which didn’t come to fruition, things such as having a Champions of Champions with the ’09 champs being graced by all the previous winners. Medals for the Gold and Silver Cups – very worthy additions to cup competitions which mean that no matter how the league finishes, everyone has a chance at a big screen game. Ideas for many banners and generally doing their best to enthuse people.
Great post by Rob too – always being on hand with valuable advice and giving players a gentle nudge when needed.

Although I said on the forum that I’d have been happy with a top 3 finish, I was really determined to actually win this f*cker! I even had visions of winning every single game – someone did do this but sadly it wasn’t me! :lol

vs Sid
My first game was against the Sidmeister and I didn’t really know what to expect and he managed to score his first goal of 2009 against me hehe. I was playing on what turned out to be one of my fave Amiga’s of the day though and thankfully put a few away. I was very mindful of the goal difference issue and so in each and every game I had a mantra – score 7 or more goals. I also wanted to put down a marker of my credentials and I think this wasn’t a too shabby way to go about it. Although he hadn’t played in a while, Sid has a load of KO2 history bedded down deep inside but with a few more games, his old moves would have come back.

vs Garry C
The game with Gaz was tense as always and although I scored on my first attack, it took me ages to get the fucker! A few fortituous goals later and I got the win I was looking for. Gaz definetly had his organizer head on though and despite helping out, I was just staying mindful on the KO2 hehe.
Ren was a player who I was most inquisitive about in this whole tournament. What would he have learnt off AndyG…a player himself who’s learnt off Dagh? Sadly he didn’t have a tournament he may have hoped for but the games are only half of it. As I said to him after our game…remember these defeats because when you start winning it will be all the more sweeter.

vs AndyG
I’m really surprised I managed to beat Andy as seemingly conclusively as I did, but that was it…seemingly. Although I noticed up 8 goals it was never that kind of game, make no mistake, this was as tense as all the games I played on the day and being mindful of his Dagh training I was extremely focused against a player who’s gotta be up there for the next UK Champs.

vs Graham S
My memory is starting to falter a little bit of the order I played the games in but when I did play Graham I distinctly remember being unable to create a good lead. Every time I got a goal, he’d get one back. So it was always 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 etc. and although I scored ten it was another close game…just that I was finishing well.

vs Grant
It’s been great playing Grant in the recent KOBRA’s and he has a great attitude for the game and in this game he scared the f*ck out of me! At times you play the games, enter results, play the games, enter the results. You have to be focused in amongst the laughing and chatting so no matter who you’r playing, you just try and score a few goals but Grant really played well and lulled me out of this tunnel version with the very real prospect I was going to not only drop points, but lose my first game. Despite my very best efforts he was winning 1-0 at half time with a cracking diagonal goal which showed some nifty knowledge of the game. I think it then went 1-1 then 2-1 to me, but then Grant equalized. Thankfully, our game wasn’t 3 minutes each way and I managed to just hang in there and take the chances at the latter part of the half.
A very well played though mate, you really came close to a win.

Not a bad start then eh?? Okay okay, I did play most people in the lower half…okay, I played everyone in the lower half :lol
Up next was my great friend SimonK, an opponent mere days earlier where I was scoring for fun, where every shot went in…couldn’t happen again could it?

vs SimonK
NO I FUCKING COULDN’T! Fucking 4 bastard fucking bastard fucking goals up in the first 2 minutes! What a performance from the reigning KOBRA champ it was. I could lie and say I wasn’t focused, I was hungry yadda yadda etc. but no…I was as focused as I was in any other game but I just had no match for the good doctor (clinical), that scapel was bloody sharp that’s for sure. I managed a little chink in his armour and could feel a goal before half time coming on to make it 4-2 – which in turn was bringing back memories of similar JFF games where we’v been involved in some sure fire classics but he nabbed a fifth. Despite any resistance I may have had, he was just the obliterator and it was awesome kick off. I had no words at the end other than to start calling him Mr. King. I felt like David against Goliath and along with my defeat against JonG, it was a game where I felt helpless and well beaten by a worthy opponent. (bugger!)

vs Steve C
After my previous game I was heavily bruised that’s for sure and I was after some retribution. I decided to wait to play against SteveC because I thought that if I was going to stand a chance, then I must do the business against the very top players – of which Steve is right up there. Granted Steve was well rusty and I was fortunate when he had instances which he would normally bang them away but even still, it felt a little surreal when I scored as many as I did against one of the nicest guys in the KOA, evil bastard that I am hehe.
When we next play the score will be much closer that’s for sure.

vs AndyH
We had a close game during Luton but thankfully my defence held firm in this one and came away with a good win. A nice cushion that got me back a bit of confidence that’s for sure.

All this time though it seemed that JonG was just cranking up the wins but surely he would falter at somepoint?

Martin B
Another massive test in the vein of 50% of the Beard brothers – both formidable opponents and a game I felt slipping away when I was losing 3-1. I was a gonna but I used the knowledge from the SimonK game, that knowledge of just hanging in there, digging in deep – (knowledge I had no chance of putting to the test in that game hehe). Martin had loads of chances but my keeper was having a blinder and with every save and groan from Martin, I was getting stronger. I felt like a win was out of the question but I was extremely pleased with a draw. You can’t win em all and it’s better to draw a few than lose a few…I managed a draw. Just.

Robert S
Had a great laugh with Rob in the Gold Cup game where every goal was met with a ‘that’s another goal you won’t score in the league game’ / ‘that’s another corner you won’t get in the league game’ :lol and our game started like that earlier one too with no quarter asked for nor given. Rob’s a great player at the best of times but when he’s on lockout he’s just impossible at times. One thing I learnt from the previous KOOHL tournaments is to not let the blighter score. A goal against and the game is as good as over.
I managed to get the first goal…except it didn’t fully go over the line. Still, like the game against Martin, the groans and cries of anguish served only to make me stronger – I think I may have managed another non-goal in this one). When I managed a decent lead Rob had no choice but to switch to a proper tactic (hehe) and then having spent the whole game trying to match wits with Lock out…which in turn means you fine tune your passing, dribbling to the nth degree, because you’re playing highly tuned up kick off, when 5-3-2 or 4-2-4 comes into play, it’s delightful to suddenly have loads more space. In a way, it would probably be better for the opponent to start off with 4-2-4 (please!).
When Rob missed a good chance I couldn’t help but say “You’v have scored that in the cup game” :D

vs Andy E
As the tournament was coming to an end, I was hoping to see more thrills from Jon’s opponents but he was wiping the floor with em, my main focus was on that 1st place I have to say but I had a battle on my hands to get 2nd given that the wily master of Rob was gunning for the title himself.
This penultimate game was a real ball breaker and had it not been for the good support of Gaz it could have been a very real different story. I was really struggling but Andy gave me a real lifeline with a penalty and once I got a little cushion, I felt a bit more fluid, not by much though. Andy E is a real bogey player for me it has to be said.

A quick glance over at the JonG vs Robert S game confirmed my fears…JonG had won again to claim an unassailable lead and strike down anyone who dared even attempt to take his crown.

vs JonG
Recently I’v been in the rather strange position of getting a few wins off the UK Champs and enjoying a little parity with the master – heck, I grabbed a 5-2 win against the master in Luton (finishing the top uk player in the process) but if there was any signs of fatigue for Jon, he certainly didn’t show it. This was real showmanship with him negotiating a grand conversation with Rob whilst completely pummeling me. Rob mentioned that Jon would have to score about 20 in order to get Rob into second and make no mistake, Jon really gave it a good go! I had absolutely nothing to counter his fantastic play and a very harsh lesson had been learned.

Last year Jon narrowly won the champs, but this year he won it with plenty of gas less in the tank. As I said in my speech, 13 games + (remember we had the cup games) is a lot and can take a lot out of ya.
Despite not playing much in ’09, this JonG is a far better and more frightening player! I feel as if everything I learnt and gained from my previous encounters has suddenly been consigned to the dustbit such is the gusto he displayed (particular when I played him). If having a family gets your kick off to the next level then I'm tossing the condoms goodbye! :lol :lol
People can and do drop points, but Jon, whilst having some tricky games, truly showed why he is the UK Champion.

Finally, I would like to give us all a hugh credit, each and every person who attended made it the tournament it was – and this goes for all tournaments too. It’s too much fun to just consign to the history books and with the enthusiasm and commitment shown it’s certainly not going to end any time soon 

They think this post is all over…not bloody likely! – Time for Extra time!
Having worked really well last year, I’m glad that Gaz kept the silver and gold cups in the program for the 2008 UK Champs. It’s great that it truly gives everyone something to aim for and because you qualify for the gold or silver depending on rank, despite suffering some pummeling’s (as all of us did apart from Jon hehe), it’s nice to have a chance at getting some glory and having a game on the big screen no less. You now have the chance to right the wrongs of the league table. Plus this year there would be even more added incentive – proper engraved trophies ffs!

vs Rob
I had a great game with Rob for my first encounter and it was a great encounter with plenty of laughs and chivalry. Rob suggested that if I win then it’s a win that I won’t get in the league…to which I countered that if I win then my confidence will be sky high.
After a great encounter I asked if he wanted to play our league game, a bluff more than anything given that I was worried about playing him, but he refused hehehe.

vs Andy
Despite staying focused for the league, I was equal focused in these cup games and it gave me another chance to have another great game with Andy. It was much closer in scoreline than the league, but the same endevour and daring do. As the seconds wore on I was really determined to make it to the final and have a game on the big screen and thankfully managed to see it out. I’ll try and get online mate because our games were superb and a real battle.

vs Jon
With my league game with Jon not being on the big screen and ending in a fairly innoccous manner to how I had hoped, this was a chance to wipe away the memories and forge new ones and grab a cup…with everyone watching to boot.
But as with the league game I just couldn’t get into it, everything I had learned was undone and I couldn’t even do the simple things right. Perhaps some of it was tiredness on my part perhaps? Some of it was definetly nerves that’s for sure. I’m a little sorry that I didn’t give more of a fight for the watching crowd really as it was probably one of the shittest games of the day! :lol But what I struggled with, Jon overcome with ease once again and got a nice gleaming trophies to add to his cabinet! Well played mate.

…and that was that! From looking like it wasn’t going to happen it was bloody great and as with all the tournaments, I’ll remember em forever. I did have high hopes but to finish second was a great achievement and thankfully having the integerated cups meant I could also enjoy the thrill of playing on the big screen.
For some reason I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointment on the day – part of this was tiredness I’m sure and also lack of food/drink cause when I went to the pub with Gaz and Si, once that ever so tasty first drink was consumed, it was a battle to stop laughing! :lol A grand day out? It most certainly was 

As an aside, it was thrilling to watch an awesome game in the Silver CUp Final. Sid showed the form of old in the cup final but Andy produced a magnificent comeback and was unlucky not to push it into extra time. Still, I'm well pleased that Sid got his hand on the cup and if anyone deserved something from their dedication to KO2 and the KOA, it was Mr. Sid.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Nice write up Steve - two words for every goal you scored I reckon! :lol:

Speaking of goals I didn't realise how many double-digits you noticed up... :shock: 8) Not that proof were needed, you certainly are among the UK's big hitters now. Even if it is tinged with some disappointment, I'm sure this runner-up finish will make you an even better and more evil player next year! :yikes:

Steve1977 wrote:Ren A,0,Steve E,11,
Steve E,10,Graham S,3,
Steve E,10,Steve C,2,

I'm even more chuffed at conceding only 5 against you now! And though it gives me no pleasure to say, Si-cho's victory over you even more impressive. :evil: I'd forgot he was reigning KOBRA champ too. Man, I hate him more each day! :lolo:

Looking again at the table....

... given it was so tight between 4th and 8th spot - 5 points separating 5 positions - had Si beat me in his final game, he was in with a real shot for that fantastic 4th position!!!! Even though I won that match mate :P it again still shows how good your UKCs actually were, including 3rd best defense! 8)

Robert S
Had a great laugh with Rob in the Gold Cup game where every goal was met with a ‘that’s another goal you won’t score in the league game’ / ‘that’s another corner you won’t get in the league game’ :lol ... but in our [league] game when Rob missed a good chance I couldn’t help but say “You’v have scored that in the cup game” :D

I remember vaguely overhearing this conversation in one ear doing my own match - sounded another cracker! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an aside, it was thrilling to watch an awesome game in the Silver Cup Final. Sid showed the form of old in the cup final but Andy produced a magnificent comeback and was unlucky not to push it into extra time. Still, I'm well pleased that Sid got his hand on the cup and if anyone deserved something from their dedication to KO2 and the KOA, it was Mr. Sid.

What Steve said! We may not have had the title-clinching decider from UKC'08 but this big screen game was epic in other ways. Both players did themselves proud here with the first half belonging to Sid (4-0 up in no time it seemed) and the second to Andy H (bringing it back to 4-5). Would have been perfect if Andy had been able to get that last ditch equiliser but like Steve says after all his hosting and KO2 enthusiam, it was nice to see Captain KORA lift the trophy! :no1: Definitely looking forward to watching this game again!

Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Well done Jon G!!
Undefeated, but you were sweating in our game, Especially as that was the game where my KO lobs made a come back!!!

I beat Martin Beard!!! Highlight of my day!! Oh an the silver cup!
I am a winner, wife was mightily impressed! lol

9th ain't bad in the league, better than I had hoped after a year out!

Thanks for organising you Brummie Boys. Jolly good show!
:)
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Sid wrote:Well done Jon G!!
Undefeated, but you were sweating in our game, Especially as that was the game where my KO lobs made a come back!!!

I beat Martin Beard!!! Highlight of my day!! Oh an the silver cup!
I am a winner, wife was mightily impressed! lol

9th ain't bad in the league, better than I had hoped after a year out!

Thanks for organising you Brummie Boys. Jolly good show!
:)

Cheers Sid. I'd forgot about these impressive results too. You had some real battles against those in the top-5! 8)

Jon G,8,Mandhir S,5,
Andy G,5,Mandhir S,4,
Martin B,3,Mandhir S,4,

Don't think anyone else put 5 past the UK Champ ? Narrow defeat to Andy G and that victory over Martin!!!

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:49 pm

In my infamous ALL TOURNAMENT ORGANIZERS PLEASE READ topic, I clearly specify the following:

From now on, tournaments that give as little info as this:

will be ignored.

Further down, I say:

The rules are not negotiable. Failure to comply with them within one month of the tournament's date will result to me ignoring your gathering. The results will never be entered in the database and they will not count in the Rankings. As far as the KOA is concerned, the tournament will have been unofficial.

I'm updating the database on Sunday morning. If the Gold Cup & Silver Cup fixtures are not posted AS TEXT by then, they will be not included.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:23 am

No problem Alkis. I'd have done this when I pm-ed you after the UKCs if I'd realised. To ensure consistency here's both formats:

Gold Cup

QF
Martin B 2 Jon G 8
Garry C 6 Steve C 3
Simon K 2 Andy G 6
Robert S 3 Steve E 7

SF
Jon G 7 Garry C 3
Andy G 3 Steve E 6

F
Jon G 6 Steve E 1

Silver Cup

QF
Graham S 4 Andy E 1
Mandhir S 1 Grant 0
Ren A 1 Andy H 4
Mark W bye into SF (due to being drawn last out out of 7 competitors)

SF
Graham S 2 Mandhir S 6
Andy H bye in F (due to being drawn against Mark W who was unable to attend)

F
Mandhir S 5 Andy H 4

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:39 am

Thank you.