To the 'retired' UK Kick Off 2 players

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Re: To the 'retired' UK Kick Off 2 players

Postby Ely » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 pm

I can't make the UK Champs as I was already doing something when the date was announced, I don't do the World Cups because for me personally the money I'd spend is needed for other things.

Things change, my free time and money that I had in 2001, 2002 and 2003 is diminished and I've said this to Robert before but he doesn't care, as far as he's concerned your either 100% for the KOA or you're cast as being in 'retirement'. Would I love to be back to those early days, sure, but it's not to be for the moment so that's where I am.

I feel sorry for those trying to keep it alive in the UK, you guys are top class (Rob, Garry C, Steve E)and your persistence and commitment can't be faulted. Dunno what else to say really.
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................
http://www.wayoftherodent.com
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Steve1977 wrote:
Bounty Bob wrote:
Steve1977 wrote:You wouldn't be alone BountyBob.
On a Wednesday afternoon?

Does that mean you can't do Wednesday afternoons? :?o:
stox

Postby stox » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:00 pm

Sorry if I post something in this topic since I'm not from UK, but in my honest opinion I cannot understand how rules changes such as autoslides on and off or extra tactics allowed or not or everything else may force a KO2 player to the most drastic desicion, that is not attending tournaments anymore.
I'm posting this because in Italy we had some cases of people too that did drop the joystick only because of rule changes. Sincerely, I'm pretty secure that these desicions are normally not taken because of this reason, but other ones people do not want to admit. So I'm asking for a better explenation in order to understand the problem and to fight against it :wink:

On the other hand, I prefer also people who are clear about their position, therefore better to have player not attending who tells about this before than promises that are not maintained.

I agree with Robert. Holding the KOA together needs lot of energy lot of entusiasm (therefore lot of quality) but also LOT OF PEOPLE. Without a critical mass available, KOA will not exist in the near future..... and I think that nobody can delegate others to make this critical mass, everybody like in democracy must partecipate at best to be part of the critical mass, espetially veterans!

Personally I would have fun and attend a WC played with the same rules as the game of shame for all official games :P
Marco S. alias Stox

Missed WC 2011, 2010 and 2009: this should stop in future; WC 2008 placed 29th; WC2007 placed 15th (CO-ORGANIZER OF THE WORLDCUP); WC2006 placed 32th; WC2005 placed 24th
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:24 am

Non-UK comment coming up:

From my point of view; the biggest issue concerning going to outta town tournaments is related to mainly two things: cost and fun.

1 - Cost.
Well, ffs. You know where I live... It costs me a friggin gazillion of € just to go for a tourney at John's, and he's the one living closest ffs. Damn. I'm moving to DK.

2 - Fun
Put whatever you want into what I say here, but the intense bitching on the forums with people arguing for the one "version" over the other really takes the fun out of it. And travelling great distances for large heaps of cash just don't seem that fun any more. Of course, most of the fun is to hang out with my mates in the KOA, but when my mates suddenly have divided themselves into groups of pro version ** or pro version ## the fun just isn't there anymore. I loved the wc's I attended, loved every bit of them, but the cost-aspect... And 1 year of aggrevation on the forums just don't disappear over night due to a tournament being held somewhere.

Maybe we've stretched it about as far as it goes? Dunno...

I know one thing though, If I'd been living in the UK, I'd DEFO attend the UKC's. Ffs... You guys can drive in. Your country is like... short. :)

I'm SO moving to DK.
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
MJB
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby MJB » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:40 am

Good post Rob. I have not retired, I very much intended to attend the last Luton event but was a complete nob and got too drunk the night before. I hope the UK KOA contingent will be around for years to come!
Breaking sticks for 30 years...
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 pm

With people like you Martin, it sure will be :D
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:21 am

Thought it was worth bumping this as there's a few UK players who need to confirm for the World Cup. I know the two Andy's were rather down trodden after a brutal UK Champs earlier in the year but a World CUp has so many players of varying ability that you always find your level and so Day 2 is a blast.
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:39 pm

I have checked in these wcup threads but i fail to see which people is coming to Bham (so far) is such list here, Steve?
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:01 pm

I didnt read the main post all that well and I was probably bit quick on the trigger finger when reposting this thread lol but it's the sentiment really.
The two Andy's have been wonderful supporters of the UK Championships since Gaz, Si and myself started organising them along with Steve doing it earlier this year. But they'r unable to make it to the World Cup due to the fact they didnt do very well at the UKC.
James Beard... he's such a star on the forum and I can think of two reasons why he doesent want to enter the World Cup. Its either because of previous forum wars - which shouldnt be an issue because posting on the forum and playing kick off 2 are two seperate entities or it's because he was a little disgrunteled that when Gaz, Si and myself wouldnt attend a Newent, no-one else was willing to take him up on his generosity of having a kick off tournament venue. Sadly, as soon as that tournament was over...which was only made possible by Durban attending...he went for good.
If only he and his brother would return and we could have regular Newents again. He has replaced KO2 with other things and i suggested a 3 month cycle...1 KO2 tournament every month for 3 months. Or 1 KO2 tournament every 2 months.

BountyBob has a great reason not to come and so does Haydn. Their priorities lie elsewhere and I fully support this.

Noodlebug. I go to great lengths to send him a 5 page text, pleading for him to come back and get a very curt 'No' reply back. With Noodles he went off the rails when he was involved in a forum spat with Robert Swift. But c'mon, who hasnt? hehe It seemed like Rob was only pissing with him to be honest but for some reason he took it seriously. However, looking on the sidelines, both of them seem to have similar personalities anyway except Rob can take things on the chin and doesent hold grudges.
He had such enthusiasm when he first came, even talking about travelling to far off venues to satisfy his KO2 passion but then he goes. I SIMPLY CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS. It's not a tap is it? You cant turn your passion on and off...and if you do hate someone with a passion then f*cking put them on ignore on the forum or just ignore them in real life!

Dagh and Alkis had a spat a few years ago but they still met up in Dusseldorf and continued. Kick Off 2 is too much fun to let anyone spoil the fun for you.

People talked as if the Dusseldorf was going to be the last world cup and this year there wasnt many takers for a WC...although we mulled it over LOTS of times and our passion reached fever pitch many times before dispelling again when we gained sanity. But then it was only when our enthusiasm peaked again that we decided to make it public...had we left it a day or so we may not have gone ahead with it.
But the point im trying to make is who knows when there'l be another World Cup in England? Some people act as if "oh, I wont attend the World Cup but there's always the next one" or "I'll try and attend the UK Champs" - as if it's a given that the UK Champs let alone the World Cup will happen again.
I understand that people gravitate to other things after playing Kick Off 2 in their youth, but when you rediscover it again you're amazed at people playing tournaments and you vow never to leave it again...except, some...apparently decide to gravitate away from it again. DESPITE thanking god for the KOA that the games still remembered.

It just doesent cut it with me and if anyone is going to let any personal differences to get in the way of them attending Kick Off tournaments then wtf? Why cut off your nose to spite your face?
If people are not coming to the world cup because they had a poor UKC's - like the Andy's - ...why exactly? At the World Cup players are split depending on your skill level.
If you'r not coming to the world cup because it's too expensive...fair enough. But when it's on your doorstep im baffled some of the hardcore are not going.
To be honest it would make for an easier life with me not posting this because we'r gonna get more than enough anyway but it's just disappointing thats all.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:06 pm

The WC is just SO MUCH MORE than just the KO2 as well. It's the friends, the rivals, the beer, the time off from all other activities. The WC-weekend is just that ONE weekend of the year.
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Exactly Jorn. The only reason why I mised Voitsberg was because I was getting married and so had zero funds and the following year my head was all over the place as I'd become a Dad for the first time and also had zero funds due to this...spending money on the room etc. She was born in September and the WC was in October so I totally understand Haydn and Mark.

Also, if anyone does hide behind their wife for a reason as to why they cant come then even my missus doesent understand this. She says it's the perfect excuse to travel to a far off country for a few days...you both get to fly off to a different city, he has some fun with the Kick Off 2 on the weekend and then she has the enjoyment a few days after with the sight seeing. Well they both do really.
She was even saying for future World Cup's it's a perfect opportunity to 'get away' for a 2 day break...away from the stresses of every day life. But some people act as if they'r chained to the home while their wife enjoys themself...except it doesent happen like this does it? In reality, they'r probably more worried about leaving their beloved consoles away for more than a few days. :roll:

Maybe Im wrong? Who knows. As I said, we have more than enough attending anyway. This is more frustration really because I see people depriving themselves of a good time.

If people enjoy tourism then B'ham is an ideal destination...plenty of history and plenty of places to see.
Last edited by Steve1977 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with the original post.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Very good points, fellas. Like Jorn says, the KOA WC is about so much more. I don't know about others but seeing photos of former WC I've been able to go to, I still enjoy the memories and the feeling that 'I was there!" 8)

hogstrom wrote:I have checked in these wcup threads but i fail to see which people is coming to Bham (so far) is such list here, Steve?

Just go to Durban's superb WC registration site, John. It's got it all there, including the latest count on registered players. There's links in the official WC thread or just click my blue signature link.... :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!