WC2008 Videos - The Big Screen Games

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Re: WC2008 Videos - The Big Screen Games

Postby Torchiador » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:10 am

Live on KO2TV channel:

SECOND LEG -FIRST HALF
TEAM A Gianni (yellow - DOWN), TEAM B Dagh (blue - UP)

0.58 (4.26) 424-424: GOAL! 1-0 I made and attack on the left wing then I made a "Banana shot" from a very good position, goalkeeper saved but I toke the ball again and I scored after a good cross.

1.19 (4.05) Lockout-Falcon: GOAL! 1-1 Dagh scored the following KO routine. I had a very bad defending move and he punished me with a great banana shot.

1.33 (3.53) 424-Lockout: GOAL! 2-1 KO routine too. banana shot too. Very Important moment since I had to force the situation, I was following in the aggregate score.

2.35 (3.13) 424-Lockout: GOAL ATTEMPT BLC missed by Dagh, in the following counter attack, Dagh stopped me at the last moment, very well defended.

3.17 (2.33) 424-Lockout: GOAL! 3-1 Very good dribbling, passing through the lockout's net and at the moment of the kick, Dagh closed my angle of shot using a very good positional defence clearing the box and starting a dangerous counter attack but in midfield I quickly got the ball starting a more dangerous counter-counter attack, kicking from inside the heart of the penalty box I equalized the aggregate score.

4.05 (1.43) 424-Lockout: GOAL ATTEMPT Insisted action, I had a good chance but I finisced badly with a diagonal shot.

4.28 (1.21) 424-Lockout: GOAL! 4-1 In my opinion the hardest and beautiful goal of these 2 legs final, still less the most important: he gave me the the awareness that playing at my best he couldn't stop me. perfect cross followed by a perfect ball control (his Cox was well placed so it wasn't simple at all) so I made a rounding move to avoid him and goalkeeper. He had the second goalkeeper near the goal line so I rised and bended the ball to avoid his interception. I'm used to try this kind of shot but it isn't simple to do it in a final.Besides this, that goal gave me the aggregate lead.

5.14 (0.43) 424-Lockout: GOAL ATTEMPT Great approach to the bye line and Dagh made BLC but he missed the finishing.

5.30 (0.27) 424-Lockout: GOAL! 5-1 After his BLC attempt I made my counter attack, Dagh got the ball but I was still close and I stole the ball without tackle him, the position was perfect to try a bye line cross and, on the fly, I converted into the goal.

5.55 (0.02) 424-Lockout: GOAL ATTEMPT My biggest mistake in the whole World Cup. UNFORGIVABLE.

6.13 (I.T.) 424-424: GOAL ATTEMPT Dag's BLC but I had a good defensive header, anticipating him but the ball was still in hands of Dagh and he was in a perfect position to shot on goal but I had a very good defence, stopping him . I started a fast counter attack and, again, alone in front of the goalkeeper I failed agan. It was the second big mistake in little seconds. UNFORGIVABLE.

SECOND LEG SECOND HALF
TEAM A Gianni (yellow - UP), TEAM B Dagh (blue - DOWN)

6.43 (4:55) 424-Lockout: GOAL ATTEMPT KO routine finisched with frontal lob.36cm wide.

7.10 (4:28) 424-Lockout: GOAL!6-1 Another one great finishing while Dagh was really near to me. I made a trap 'n' dribble in front of Cox and goalkeeper.

7.52 (3:45) 424-424: GOAL ATTEMPT Dagh's right wing entered in the box then tried a 90 degrees but goalkeeper saved. it was a bad mistake of Dagh, from that position the goal is a must.

8.24 (3:15) 424-424: WOODWORK Bad defensive mistake and I gave Dagh the free pass to my penalty box, he reached the heart of the box and from the perfect position he made a diagonal shot. just the post could stop him.

8.36 (3:02) 424-Lockout: GOAL! 7-1 Midfield, Dagh tried an dangerous header and he completely missed the ball giving me the keys of the midfield than I finished with diagonal trap'n'move.

9.05 (2:33) 424-Lockout: GOAL ATTEMPTBye line cross to the second post. I missed the ball from a vey good position.

9.34 (2:00) 424-Lockout: DENIED PENALRY KICK I was in a perfect position to kick the ball without goalkeeper opposition, Dagh slided on my legs, there was a penalty kick but referee didn't see it.

9.58 (1:40) 424-424: GOAL ATTEMPT Dagh reached the PB and he was in position to score but I made good guard.

10.12 (1:29) 424-Lockout: GOAL! 8-1 I reached the ball in defence so I started with a fast counter attack, a pair of perfect pass and I was in front of goalkeeper. I finished with a trap and move close to the post.

10.28 (1:15) 424-424: WOODWORK cross to the end of the box, control, dribbling and kick hitting the double, crossbar and post.

10.53 (0:50) 424-424: GOAL! 8-2 Dagh won a tackle on the left wing so he reached the PB and he made a diagonal shot with Barrett.

OVERALL:I played in berserk mode for the whole game but Dagh had the chances to come back while the score was 4-1. I played even better than the Gianluca's 6-1 semifinal of last year.

My best compiments to Dagh because whithout doubts he is the most powerfull player I've ever faced, he is a KO2 acrobat, an absolute talent and if he wanted to impress the KOA, he completely succeeded.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks for the latest instalment of KO2TV! :D Just caught up with the 2nd leg of the final!!! 8) 8) 8) I think Spyros quipped elsewhere that watching KO2 of this standard can make you feel like giving up! I simply watch in awe. :eeko:

Gianni you certainly found yet another level in this match and, with respect to Dagh, you seem to really take control in the second leg. My fave goals were the incredible bending, rising shot to make it 4-1, the cross from the wing and shot to make it 5-1, and the trap and move goal at close quarters for 8-1! 8) 8) 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:37 am

Gianni played like a king :P
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:08 pm

Besides that of course, do you have any other comments to share on the final, Dagh? Any moments you'd like to highlight ? What were your over-riding feelings afterwards ? Were you proud of your achievements or disappointed after a first leg lead ? You could say that it was a final of two quite different legs, not disimilar to your semi with Alkis. Do you have any views on why that is ?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:21 pm

gdh82 wrote:Besides that of course, do you have any other comments to share on the final, Dagh? Any moments you'd like to highlight ? What were your over-riding feelings afterwards ? Were you proud of your achievements or disappointed after a first leg lead ? You could say that it was a final of two quite different legs, not disimilar to your semi with Alkis. Do you have any views on why that is ?

First things first, I have only come to Sunday morning in my WC chronicles :lol:
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Anytime before the next world cup would be good mate! :)

Nah, your posts are almost as measured as your KO moves so I'm sure it'll be worth waiting for. 8)

dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:13 am

gdh82 wrote:Anytime before the next world cup would be good mate! :)

Let's make a deal: I promise to finish my stories before the next world cup, and you promise to attend the next world cup. OK? :lol:
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:15 pm

dnielsen wrote:
gdh82 wrote:Anytime before the next world cup would be good mate! :)

Let's make a deal: I promise to finish my stories before the next world cup, and you promise to attend the next world cup. OK? :lol:

:) It just isn't that easy....not that your big game reports aren't worth waiting for of course!

MJB
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby MJB » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks for these Steve :)
Breaking sticks for 30 years...
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Robert Swift wrote:No, what i am referring to is goals like No.12, where Nicholls seems to push over the defender before scoring. It must have been SDR Wells. Were it Cox or Simpson, they would have stood the challenge. Just things like this. My question would be, did Dagh gamble on this or deliberately use Nicholls to push over the defender (somehow knowing it would be Wells) before finishing.

I have to admit that I was too busy concentrating on receiving the shot-pass and finish the attack to think about which of Alkis' players I could knock over in the process :lol: . I couldn't admit to this before our game in the London International, though :) .
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:17 am

My TV-comments to the semi-final Dagh-Alkis (7-5).

The game is here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6994&hl=en
http://www.kickoff2.it/tmp/video_ko2/wc ... is_7-5.avi

I recommend the high-quality avi video.

Time will be relative to the video (that is, not in-game time).

Live on KO2TV channel:

FIRST LEG -FIRT HALF
TEAM A Dagh (yellow - UP), TEAM B Alkis (blue - DOWN)

0.17 - 0.23: Alkis chooses a Falcon KO routine, and I defend with Lockout. I intercept but waste my possession on a lob that there is no forward to receive. Alkis receives with the sweeper and passes to the Keeper. Two "safety first" actions that could indicate some nerves on both sides. Game is on!

0.23 - 1.42: A nervous start from both sides where we don't execute our intended actions too well.

1.42 - 1.47: First open chance of the game. Alkis makes a long, slow diagonal cross, and I miss the touchdown touch with my sweeper. Alkis in turn seems to miss a diagonal stop'n'goal, or maybe tries a horizontal shot-pass, but doesn't succeed in hitting the ball with the receiver.

1.58 - 2.08: GOAL! (0-1) I lob from my right defense, but Alkis wins the header and aims for the center. I make a nice predictive blocking move, but Alkis in turn resolutely tackles me after I trapped the ball. Two intense, high quality actions. I miss my control of the interception on the tackle, and Alkis is over the ball and charges through to the by-line and curls the ball in nicely. The finish from Alkis is interesting from my point of view, since it demonstrates a rather fundamental difference between our respective approaches. The finish is what I would call a "30% finish". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but, beyond performing your move well, you can't really control your luck. I myself would probably not have made that shot, but instead trapped the ball and searched for another more reliable finish. It's similar to the difference between choosing a mid-distance lob and choosing an attempt to bring the ball to the forward for a "certain goal". It's similar to the difference between Martin J (aim for clear shot) and Gianluca (shoot often) finishing style. I had been thinking a lot about this aspect before my games with Alkis. How would I react when up against a top-level aggressive finisher if he has plenty of luck with his finishes? On the plus side, I had some experience against a player with this approach from my many online sessions with Rayge, so I had some "emotional apparatus" in place for the situation.

2.14 - 2.29: GOAL! (0-2) Alkis is all over me. First he tackles my KO2 routine. Then he receives my missed lob-pass and executes a superb attack. Precise lob-pass to nr. 9, trap, quick avoidance-move and diagonal cross. The finishing header is really impressive in its quick adjustments to achieve the correct timing.

2.36 - 2.52: GOAL! (1-2) I seem shaken at the following KO and misses the reception of my backwards diagonal shot-pass, giving Alkis a throw-in. He makes a curled horizontal pass to the forward at the penalty spot. I think I attempted a nervous slide-tackle in anticipation of his expected shot, but instead I am lucky to run the ball out of Alkis' possession and shoot the ball to another defender. I execute a counter-attack, bringing the ball to my Lockout forward. I charge forward dribbling, and Alkis misses a slide-tackle. I am happy with my measured dribble adjustments before embarking on the BLC routine move. I was very relieved when I executed the BLC perfectly (both the timing of the turn and the adjustment before the header). It confirmed to me that I could still perform difficult standard moves with some degree of reliability despite my nerves. It also felt good to confirm this to Alkis, so that he would not feel free to take possession of the mental domination. With these first 3 goals in quick succession, it seems like we had really entered the mental battlefield, and aggression could now be the expected modus operandi from both sides.

3.08 - 3.15: I win the header and aim for a trap to increase control of my possession. Alkis must have released the firebutton after his header-attempt. He then makes a foul immediately after I trap the ball, my first touch after the header. It seems like he has pressed the button again in advance of my trap. After a header (or shot, or tackle), this will not result in a slide. Instead, the slide is on order as long as you keep the button pressed, and it is activated as soon as the opponent touches (trap or dribble) the ball. If we had played with unintended slides off, Alkis would not have made this slide since a period of time had passed since the button press. This is a very good example of a key difference between playing with or without unintended slides. Without unintended slides, it is more attractive (safe) to enter trapmode when defending. With unintended (or, as I would prefer here, undesired) slides, there is a price to pay. You have to keep the button pressed after an action (either a header-attempt or a slide), and if you didn't decide to do this action in time, it may be too late (this is even more relevant after a flat shot-pass from the opponent -- if you didn't slide and enter trap-mode before the shot, there is a huge risk in pressing the button after the shot because you may not be the first one on the ball, something you have to make a quick judgment on - if you are last on the ball, your controlled defender will make a slide if you still have the button pressed).

Of course, it is possible that Alkis just pressed the button at the exact moment where I trapped the ball.

3.20 - 3.38: GOAL! (2-2) I make a diagonal cross after the following free-kick. Alkis receives it and brings the ball to his left. I chase him, and, as the opportunity keeps screaming at me, I decide on a slide-tackle foul. This was as much a matter of expressing aggression as it was a matter of doing something rational to counter his attack. The referee turns his blind eye to the foul, and I am allowed to execute a nice counter-attack. The key here is that the ball is in the lower right rectangle so that Alkis' troops are provoked forwards. I lob the ball forwards to nr. 10, standard. I then make a slick adjustment right before reception and make a first-time diagonal cross before Alkis gets a chance to challenge my possession (and before the closing of the window of opportunity where my forward is ahead of the 5-3-2 sweeper). With nr. 9, I make a well-timed running reception that allows me to make the standard 135 degree turn at the right moment and shoot past the keeper. The finishing move is IMO a lot more sophisticated than it looks. First you have to realize that the move is adequate in the concrete situation (so that you choose it over a standard trap or a direct "I try my luck shot"), and then you have to get the timing of the running reception just right so that, for instance, you will not run ahead of the ball prematurely.

3.52 - 4.02: GOAL! (3-2) Standard lob-pass along the line to nr. 10. This time, however, nr. 9 is closest and run towards nr. 10, so a diagonal cross is no good. Instead, I make a measured dribble run and trap the ball in a good spot where I have more than one option for the defender to care about. I decide to attempt a standard move where I can manipulate the keeper behind the goal-line and score with a horizontal curled shot.

4.07 - 4.12: GOAL! (3-3) The tension is really high, and the mental battle continues. Alkis strikes back with a surprising KO-lob attempt, signaling that he is fully competing with me to be on top of the situation. I am caught off-guard and Alkis is rewarded for his ingenuity as the ball sails into the net.

4.55 - 5.06: A short, intense middle-field battle ends with a lob-pass to my forward. I am scared to be blocked by Alkis' sweeper if I attempt a lateral run, so I think I can instead make a finish similar to the finish at about 0:40 in the "The Heat Is On" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXi9Nl0QtPY

But the trajectory of the ball is probably just not suitable for this. Or maybe I would like to shoot a first-timer under the keeper, if the ball is close enough to the ground. Probably, I mixed things up and tried a bit of both, with the wrong parts chosen at the wrong moment. I shout "fuck". Important to let Alkis know that he should be down 4-3 and that I am keeping my level of deliberate aggression despite the missed chance :)

5.10 - 5.19: After Alkis' header, I get ahead of him and make a well-timed adjustment dribble to score the standard "keeper behind the goal-line" goal. I get the timing of the lateral left-turn just right, but the ball is kicked a bit too gayish (I mean, the opposite of straight, is there any good word in English for that?) away from the goal, and the after-touch can't make up for it in time. A bit of bad luck here, but in the second half I am paid back in a similar situation.

FIRST LEG -SECOND HALF
TEAM A Dagh (yellow - DOWN), TEAM B Alkis (blue - UP)

6.26 - 6.32: GOAL! (3-4) Corner kick for Alkis in the upper right corner. It seems like I meet the ball with a down-left running touch that is immediately trapped by Alkis, who makes a slick right-step and shot before I can even begin to realize that I am not in possession of the ball. Great perception and reaction by Alkis. I smiled a bit inside: "OK, now he gets ahead with a lucky corner-kick goal because I can't defend for shit, but hey, it's not like you didn't know that stuff like this could happen. Get on with the fight!"

6.37 - 6.47: GOAL! (4-4) I score a goal almost identical to my 3rd goal in its finishing move. The key moment here is the brief run-stop-run right before I trap the ball and perform the finishing move. Without this, I would have trapped the ball in an almost infinitely less dangerous spot. Incidentally, I mis-time my final turn a bit, so that I am almost too close to the by-line at the moment of shooting. But this time I am lucky that the gayness of the shot doesn't work against me.

7.20 - 7.27: A superb action by Alkis. He picks up my trapped ball before I can take if left and then executes a brilliant PBD dribble-run where he twice kind of waits for the ball to catch up. Especially the brief stop at the by-line is impressive, he stops (or rather, moves briefly up and then left) and thus gives the ball a nano-second to catch up before being first-timed by a narrow-angle curled shot. Alkis also performed this slick final up-left twist in his goal in his "Toying with the Kick Off 2 World Champion" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4CFw-lKy2g

This time, however, the keeper is not manipulated behind the goal-line, and it is to me an example of a "30% finish" not being successful, however well performed.

7.30 - 7.38: GOAL! (5-4) I am very happy about this goal, for a couple of reasons. The first is the reception with my nr. 7. It seems like I am going to attempt a header, but I decide to trap the ball instead. To do this, I make a quick twitch right to get clear of the ball, push the button, and run back into the ball's touch-down spot. When not already being in trap-mode, this slick move makes it a much more viable option to come from behind and trap the ball (since I can't easily just stop dead at precisely the right spot and push the button at touch-down, if attempting this I would often fail and see the ball pass above me). I then pass to nr. 10 who can make a faster (=more dangerous) and more precise cross than nr. 7. The second thing I am proud of in the goal is the finishing move. "But oh, that's just the same silly "keeper behind the goal-line" trick as you already did 3 times this game". True, but it was not easy for me to realize during my practice that this was sometimes a good way to finish after the diagonal crosses from the left wing. Almost invariably, you aim for a diagonal shot (if you are closer to the goal and the keeper displaces himself) or a lateral run to the right. But I discovered that this by-line idea was viable in some situations, and indeed superior to a lateral run since you are much less likely to be intercepted by the defender. I spent some time getting used to use this move when appropriate, so that's why I am proud I succeeded with it in an important game. And as you can see, indeed Alkis seems to expect a lateral run :-)

7.44 - 7.52: KO-routine. I make a good attempt to tackle Alkis before his mid-distance lob, but he side-steps in time and gets in a good lob. On a sunny day, it goes in. On the other hand, this is Alkis' third "30% finish", so perhaps it is just right that only one of them is rewarded with a goal :)

7.53 - 8.02: Filth!

8.16 - 8:29: GOAL! (6-4) Another example of the above-mentioned key difference between undesired slides on or off. Once I make that shot-pass with nr. 7, it is too late for Alkis to enter trap-mode without making a slide first, a slide he can't make before I touch the ball. And since his sweeper is going to be in control at that moment, he should give up the idea of going into trap mode. Or, that is, if we imagine he is staying out of trap mode, he still has the option of waiting for my possible shot-pass between my nr. 10 and nr. 9 and THEN push the button right after my shot-pass so he can possibly trap the shot-pass (after my shot, he won't slide). The skill to do this precisely timed button press becomes less relevant after we make it easier to enter trap-mode without a slide-penalty by turning "autoslides" off. Alternatively, with autoslides on, the defender must anticipate the danger earlier on and get the slide out of the way before I make the shot-pass with my nr. 7. Btw, If I had made a lob-pass with nr. 7 and Alkis had pushed the button right after the lob, he would have made a header with his player in control and he could then stay safely in trap-mode with his sweeper. Another nuance between autoslides on and off :) (in that it becomes much easier for the defender to enter trap mode after flat shot-passes, so that the value of these are diminished relative to high lob-passes, but also diminished in itself, for instance also when shot-passes are performed laterally from the wing -- with autslides on, it is suicidal to enter trap-mode during the shot unless you know you can let go of the button in time in case the opponent receives the ball instead of you intercepting it).

And on and on. When it is easier to enter trap-mode without a penalty, the skill of intercepting the ball with a twitch movement instead of a trap becomes less relevant. I don't want to fuel any arguments, I just find it relevant to get the several layers of gameplay effects when turning autoslides off thoroughly documented. It's just not only an issue of preventing a few "obviously buggy slides". Rather, it has a profound effect on the viability of the different defensive techniques and strategies. That being said, I don't really care if they are turned on or off :)

As it happened, Alkis' sweeper slides out of action and I can score without pressure.

8.55 - 9.28: GOAL! (6-5) A really intense period with a lot of direct offensive and defensive challenges for possession. In the end, Alkis finishes off with a really nice move where he, instead of going for the lateral shot that I have run to block, finds a narrow lateral path and executes the finish with perfect timing. With regard to his trapping of the ball at the by-line: I can't decide if I think it is a missed attempt at a curled shot that ends up being a trap instead because the ball doesn't follow the right-turn before the button-press. I have tried many times to repeat this move and trap, but I practically just cannot do it. Whenever I turn first up-right and then right, the ball follows me. Either the incident is a fluke, or I am just married to a specific rhythm that doesn't allow for this move!?

10.33 - 10.44: Another attack ending with a nice PBD run from Alkis. This time, I switch to the defender to Alkis' right in time and Alkis seems provoked to make the upwards turn prematurely.

10.46 - 11.08: GOAL! (7-5) I get in a diagonal cross that I meet with a running touch and some weird move around the ball. I end up in a position to score with a diagonal shot and curl if unopposed. Alkis is in the way though. But his sweeper makes a slide tackle and I get a penalty. It does seem like there is an opening for a tackle because the ball is ahead of me, so it could be a deliberate attempt. At the same time, in the video it seems like the line under the defender disappears just before the tackle, which could be a fluke followed by an Amiga-slide (I can't see the control switch to another player). Only Alkis can tell. The flat penalty right next to the keeper is perfect in the sense that it is practically impossible to save it.
Logos

Postby Logos » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Wow! Thanks Dagh for your thorough analysis and personal insight.

The Big Screen games + player analysis = Ultimate KO2 learning tool.
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:53 pm

Great post Dagh!

The information about the differances between how to deal with "slides" contra "no slides", defence-wise, made me somewhat dizzy. Need to read this again a few times.
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...