8th KO2 World Cup: Athens, November 8-9 2008

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

alkis21

8th KO2 World Cup: Athens, November 8-9 2008

Postby alkis21 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:39 pm

This is the official information thread of the world cup. No matter how many WC related threads you see, all the vital information will be displayed here in the first page of this topic, which will be updated whenever there is something new to add.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO THE WORLD CUP. Please only do so if you have booked your flight or if you are at least 80% certain you will be going.

Promotional video:

1. Pre-tournament work

As soon as you register, whenever there is a need for one, a newsletter will be sent to your e-mails, therefore you won't have to constantly check the forum for updates.

2. Transportation

You can fly directly to the Athens airport from any major city in Europe. November is not an expensive season for a flight to Greece, so if you book rather early you should find a good deal.

Once you arrive at the airport, as demonstrated in the video you watched all you have to do is walk to the subway station and the train will take you directly to the station you need for just €6! The hotel is within walking distance from the station. If you prefer to take a taxi, the fair is about €20.

3. Tournament Room

I have booked a room of 200 square meters in Zafolia Hotel:

Naturally, in the image above you have to picture it without the chairs. You can also see the room in the video, where you'll have to picture it without the round tables and the (portable) dancing stage. The room suits our needs just fine and we got it for a mere €1100 (total for both days). It has plenty of wall plugs and the price includes a Wi-Fi connection, microphone & speakers.

The hotel is a 5 minutes walk from the subway station.

Smoking will not be allowed inside the tournament room. Right outside it is the hotel bar where people can have a drink, snack or smoke at anytime:

We booked the tournament room from 08:00 in the morning to 21:00 in the evening on both days, therefore there will basically be no time constraints.

4. Accomodation

I have booked a number of rooms in the same hotel. It's a 4-star hotel, ideal for everyone even if they are bringing women and children.

Hotel Room:

The room prices are:

Single Room: €85 / night
Double-Twin Room: €90 / night (€45 / person / night)
Triple Room: €120 / night (€40 / person / night)

You can book your room as early as today by sending this form to the hotel by e-mail at info {AT} zafoliahotel.gr or by fax. Please inform me when you book your room because I need to keep track of how many we have left in case I have to reserve some more. The prices apply from Wednesday to Tuesday.

5. Tourism & Entertainment

That's the easy part. The area is well connected to any part of Athens thanks to the subway, and even if you decide to walk the important destinations are not far away. There is an abundance of restaurants and bars we can choose from. If there is a demand, we will arrange a tour in the Acropolis on Friday. And while the boys are busy playing, my wife will be happy to show your wives and girlfriends around for shopping or any other activities they may desire.
I should point out that when it comes to food and drinks, Athens is much cheaper than the average central European city.

6. Tournament Organization

The draw will be held on Saturday morning before the games begin. It will be more glamorous than ever, involving a presentation in the projector and sound effects, all carefully planned in a way that things will happen quickly and efficiently.

The competition regulations consist of 15 fixed rules and 2 rules we will vote on. Visit this page to read them.

The tournament format can be found right here.

A detailed leaflet will be written before the world cup and will be available on line for everyone to download and print.
It will also be given to all participants during the first day. The leaflet will be written in English, Greek, Italian, German, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and any other language necessary (OK if Waynie comes, I'm going to assume he's English) and it will contain:

-The exact rules of the competition
-The format of all the stages and how the groups of Day 1 are cross mixed in Day 2
-The schedule of the weekend
-A short Athens tourist guide with all the restaurants and important places of the area, as well as a comprehensive subway map

Sandra and Penny, the lovely ladies in the video, will be responsible for the drawing, entering the results and performing the winning ceremony (there will be plenty of trophies). They will also make sure that the results are displayed in the forum. They will receive compensation for their work, which should equal to no more than a couple of more Εuros in the registration fee. I have worked with them before in conferences and I can assure you that they'll do an excellent job.

7. Tournament Fee

First of all, you need to pay for your plane tickets, accommodation and meals yourself. This should be obvious but it doesn't hurt to point it out just in case anyone is wondering.

The overall running costs for the competition amount to a total of 1400 Euros. This sum covers the tournament room, trophies and secretariat support. Divide it by the number of participants and you get the tournament fee per person. So for instance, if we get 50 players the tournament fee will be 28 Euros. In order to be allowed to play, you will have to pay the tournament fee at the secretariat desk on Saturday morning.

8. Conclusion

That's about all I had to say. Let me know if you have any questions.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
alkis21

Re: 8th KO2 World Cup: Athens, November 8-9 2008|REGISTER TODAY!

Postby alkis21 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:46 pm

OK guys, the registration page is ready. Let's start putting some names in that list.

If you are more or less certain that you are going, please register now instead of waiting to book your flights. I need to have an estimation of the people that will come to Athens sooner rather than later. We can add your flight & stay details later on.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:55 pm

Alkis, when you asked for username, I thought it was the name we use when conducting tournaments and not my forum name. Feel free to amend.

Loving the website though! Very professional!!!
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Let's all thank durban for the web site. :)
Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:13 am

Is it OK if I PM Stox with my details?

This website looks suspiciously like the 2006 one. :)
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:04 am

Checked the registration-page. Seems like all the players registered are greeks. So much for this beeing a world-cup.

I'll PM Stox.
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
-----------------------------
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:36 am

:lol: @ Steve, you try and make things as simple as you can. Me and Alkis went over this a few times to amend 'questions' to make them as obvious as we could, even tho we are apparently dealing with IT professionals (mainly) in the KOA you would be surprised how many people post rubbish.

As for Rob, erm, it worked in 2006 didn't it :lol:

However Alkis has some better pages than you had :lol:

M
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:28 pm

I'll make my position clear early on, I'll not be coming. Hope you all have a great Tournament though :)
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................
http://www.wayoftherodent.com
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!

Postby JamesHBeard » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Ely wrote:I'll make my position clear early on, I'll not be coming. Hope you all have a great Tournament though :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Have you been watching too much Dragons Den mate?
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:58 pm

Actually no, I didn't watch the last series, but now I read that back it's pretty much word for word isn't it :lol:
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................

http://www.wayoftherodent.com
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:59 pm

c'mon Ely, Alkis could go 50/50 with you on air fare but you have to return the money if you don't win the world cup :D
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:48 pm

This WC will be special for me. It will be the come back to the place where it was my first one, and I would like all the original people - LIKE ELY - to be there :)
By the way, I am also wondering if it is too late to make it again in the Titania. I want to spend to the nights in the Olive Garden! :D

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO.
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:46 am

Olive Garden ? was that at the top of that hotel we drank at ? if so.. that was a GOOD place to be to be drinking..

Especially listening to Brother Beards Barbarian sfx :lol: :lol: