WCC rules

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

stox

WCC rules

Postby stox » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:56 pm

This has nothing to do with the Rome bid, since we could propose a WCC beside the city hosting. I'm trying to make here a rule set for the commitee, holding it as simple as possible. Beside this rules should be applied. I'm doing this in order to get clear what i want from the WCC and that I'm not going to make elite or special power institutions but only a strong organizing team of people each promoting the WC in its own country and so on.
The only chairman power is to get not expressed votes in order to avoid from one single member blocking actions of regular commitee works.

WCC RULES
--------------

1. After every WC, cities may post hosting bids for the next one. The user posting the bid should be identified as the organizer.

2. The organizer of the winning bid is automatically the commitee chairman. The chairman becomes the first moderator of the WCC forum topic on the Gathering. His first task MUST be the formation of the WCC, the chairman cannot decide to not form the WCC or to form it differently as here described. No desicions can be taken until now. This is done by election. Every KOA member can express one vote for one candidate from its own zone. The following zones will elect member(s):

England - 2 members
Greece - 1 member
Holland - 1 member
Scandinavia - 1 member
Germany - 1 member
Milan - 1 member
Rome - 1 member

the chairman will ask for one week candidates. After this, another week the candidates are voted by the forum. Candidates cannot vote for themself. Finally, the WCC is formed definitively. The chairman coordinates and take care on these votings. Voting should not be secret but public in order to be sure about the country appartenence of the KOA member.
If a zone does not elect any member within prefixed time, the forum can elect one member among KOA member candidates. If noone is found to fill the empty space again, the position remain void and cannot be further occupied. The relevant vote belongs to the chairman from that moment.
After election all elected candidate members must agree to take part of the commitee officially.

3. The chairman must elect a vice-chairman among the elected members. The vice-chairman becomes automatically the second moderator of the WCC forum topic.

3bis. Among the 7 remaining commitee members, a third and last forum topic moderator should be elected by these 7 members. Absoloute vote is sufficient. If this is not possible in a prefixed time, the moderators remain two. All three moderators have same moderating powers and must only apply the gathering ethic rules.

4. The chairman must give and is obligated to answer to all questions, remarks, critiques, and whatever posted by other KOA members in the WCC forum topic. Every discussion among commitee members is public and on the forum. Every KOA member can comment discussions.
If the answer is straightfoward the chairman may answer by its own. If one comitee member disagrees on the answer he can apply a veto and force a commitee voting on the question. The chairman is the only one in charge to answer directly questions to the KOA forum, no other can. The chairman is trhe only one that officilizes the desicions made by the committee and/or forum.
The chairman can also indict commitee voting asking to bring the question to the forum by a dedicated poll, or to discuss and vote within the commitee the question quickly.
If a commitee member do not vote in prefixed time, the chairman has the right to express this vote by own.
In every voting, a 50%+1 is sufficient (4 votes). Past questions can be rediscussed only after a minimum prefixed amount of time, two weeks.
Official voting after discussion is called by the chairman. From that moment, all votes are expressed nominally by only yes/no without any additional comment, and is not secret in any case.

4bis. Each rule or whatever never discussed and decided by the commitee should be remain by the old, meaning as it was done in the previous WC.

5. The chairman can give temporally all its powers to the vice-chairman, and recall his power by its own at any time without noone permission.

6. A commitee member can be booted from the WCC only with unanimous vote minus 2 (7 votes). In this case, a reelection of the zone is neccessary to fill the space as explained in point 1 and 2. The booted member can not be reelected.
The chairman can be booted by unanimous vote minus 1 (8 votes) of the commitee and a 50%+1 win by a forum poll which lasts at least 1 week. In this case, if booted, from the hosting city another member must take the chairman position. If this is not the case, another city hosting bid should be initiated and the current WCC is dismissed.

7. A commitee member can retire if he wants. he cannot indicate officially a follower. Reelection is needed. The vote of the void space, until reelection is done, is given to the chairman.

8. After day2 of the WC, the WCC is dismissed with no exceptions. The three WCC moderators remain in charge until a new chairman is elected for the next year WC. The WCC moderators should stop and shut down for the whole period between day2 and the arrival of the new chairman all postings in this forum topic, unless special comunications.

9. Changes to this ruleset can be done whatever by the WCC only and no way by the forum, done by unanimous vote (9 votes). This is the only case where the chairman rule getting also the void votes is not applied.

This is a draft. i wait for comments...
Marco S. alias Stox

Missed WC 2011, 2010 and 2009: this should stop in future; WC 2008 placed 29th; WC2007 placed 15th (CO-ORGANIZER OF THE WORLDCUP); WC2006 placed 32th; WC2005 placed 24th
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:50 am

It's a computer game.
stox

Postby stox » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:26 am

also bridge is a card game, and has behind strict and important organizationssupporting the game! I want to have for the KOA some decent group organization which can in strong way promote every year the game by a well advertized world cup. But to do this, we must abandon anarchy and this is only a try. If you have another better suggestion please feel free to make one. I would be happy.
Marco S. alias Stox

Missed WC 2011, 2010 and 2009: this should stop in future; WC 2008 placed 29th; WC2007 placed 15th (CO-ORGANIZER OF THE WORLDCUP); WC2006 placed 32th; WC2005 placed 24th
Loul
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Loul » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:02 am

I must first say I got some "homework" to do and yet to read the ROME2007 thread first... still...
What a strange idea about those commitees... this is going way administrative in its bad sense !
Why the heck electing representatives ?!? What's the use ?!?
If it's about making decision we could simply vote on occasions.
If you want to limit the amount of voters that can be done by many ways (demanding presence in a certain number of previous WC for instance, a classification, a number of posts on the board, paying a symbolic fee... ).

As for tournament organisation, it's all about making sensible choices that are popular.
It would seem logical to aim to host most WC in places that would be central enough not to cost to much in traveling fees for the majority of potential competitors.
Of course you'd want some diversity and host some in more "exotic" places, less central or with fewer members there, places that could cost more to travel to...
Same thing about the accomodation, you don't want to force everybody to sleep in a costy 5 * hotel...

I've got some experience in organising events for an association (actually the French football newsgroup on usenet used to have bi-annual meetings for many years) and the best way to do it was always on large consensus.

Why create chairmen, board, commitees ? What is the basis for those zones definition and weight ?
Come on, this sounds way too serious ! It looks like the recreation of fossilized centuries old Fifa like organisations...
Let people decide and just create the guidelines for discussions to be hold properly !

Let people present their bid in seperate topics, just to expose what they want to offer.
Let KOA members collaborate on such bids, it will always have some use at some point (since there are tournaments out of official WCs).
If you really feel the need, create a WC bid forum, so the discussions don't pollute other topics.
At a certain time it will be time for KOAers to vote for their preferred bid, end of the story !

[sorry if I sound offensive, I don't want to harm anybody but this whole things looks like killing flies with a bulldozer. This was the OFFICIAL opinion expressed by unanimous decision of the Paris zone members after 3 glasses of Beaujolais]
Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges. (T. Pratchett)
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:09 am

Loul wrote:I must first say I got some "homework" to do and yet to read the ROME2007 thread first... still...
What a strange idea about those commitees... this is going way administrative in its bad sense !
Why the heck electing representatives ?!? What's the use ?!?
If it's about making decision we could simply vote on occasions.
If you want to limit the amount of voters that can be done by many ways (demanding presence in a certain number of previous WC for instance, a classification, a number of posts on the board, paying a symbolic fee... ).

As for tournament organisation, it's all about making sensible choices that are popular.
It would seem logical to aim to host most WC in places that would be central enough not to cost to much in traveling fees for the majority of potential competitors.
Of course you'd want some diversity and host some in more "exotic" places, less central or with fewer members there, places that could cost more to travel to...
Same thing about the accomodation, you don't want to force everybody to sleep in a costy 5 * hotel...

I've got some experience in organising events for an association (actually the French football newsgroup on usenet used to have bi-annual meetings for many years) and the best way to do it was always on large consensus.

Why create chairmen, board, commitees ? What is the basis for those zones definition and weight ?
Come on, this sounds way too serious ! It looks like the recreation of fossilized centuries old Fifa like organisations...
Let people decide and just create the guidelines for discussions to be hold properly !

Let people present their bid in seperate topics, just to expose what they want to offer.
Let KOA members collaborate on such bids, it will always have some use at some point (since there are tournaments out of official WCs).
If you really feel the need, create a WC bid forum, so the discussions don't pollute other topics.
At a certain time it will be time for KOAers to vote for their preferred bid, end of the story !

[sorry if I sound offensive, I don't want to harm anybody but this whole things looks like killing flies with a bulldozer. This was the OFFICIAL opinion expressed by unanimous decision of the Paris zone members after 3 glasses of Beaujolais]

Excellent words.

This is way over the top. You're taking all the fun out of the game by doing this. Let's just communicate openly and use a bit of common sense.
We don't need FIFA mark2 ffs....... I can just imagine, "oh shit, we can't do that, it's not in section 7g of the official rulebook" zzzzzzz
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:19 am

stox wrote:6. A commitee member can be booted from the WCC only with unanimous vote minus 2 (7 votes). In this case, a reelection of the zone is neccessary to fill the space as explained in point 1 and 2. The booted member can not be reelected.
The chairman can be booted by unanimous vote minus 1 (8 votes) of the commitee and a 50%+1 win by a forum poll which lasts at least 1 week. In this case, if booted, from the hosting city another member must take the chairman position. If this is not the case, another city hosting bid should be initiated and the current WCC is dismissed.

I mean, really.......... ffs.
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:51 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stupidity rules!!
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:41 am

I can see where Stox is coming from but I think it has gone into way too much detail. It sounds to me, (although I may be wrong), like all he's trying to do is bring some sort of uniformity to the world cup and its format. So far I've played in 3 world cups and each one has had a different format. This doesn't seem right to me and I'd much rather see an established format that can be adapted to each years competition. This years event was close to perfect and I'm sure that with a few minor tweaks we could have a format that lasts for years to come.

Clearly Stox has thought this idea through and clearly he's done it in a lot of detail. Obvioulsy it's too much detail and people are getting scared as it sounds like a committee to force ideas onto the people.

I'm sure that it's not intended for this committee to enforce rules onto everybody and is only there to bring uniformity to the world cup. Rule changes will always be voted on by the registrants, as they were in this years world cup.

Let me ask this question:
Does anybody object to a geographically diverse group of people that are the core of the world cup organisation?

It's all very well people saying things are knobby but do Stainy and Uncle Colin want to be heavily involved in organising these events?

We talk about too much on this forum. There really should be a group of people that do everything behind the scenes and then only the vital issues get voted on here. Mass discussion always seems to cause arguments and problems.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:46 am

uncle_colin wrote:It's a computer game.
It is John but there does need to be some organisation, although maybe not to the level suggested. If everyone took the, 'it's a computer game' attitude, then we'd have arrived in Rickmansworth to find that there was no place to sleep, no venue booked and just two Amigas at Roberts flat with whicih to entertain 50 people. Not to mention that the queue in Rickmansworth Mc Donalds on the Saturday night would have been chaos!!

Having said that, I fully understand your view that it's just a computer game and will readily admit that this would be the view of 99.9% of visitors here. They are the people that want to turn up and play and so long as they have fun and plenty of games, then they are happy.

If there was to be a committee, it's job would be to absolutely make sure that everyone attending had fun and had plenty of games.

If we had a previoulsy established committee, then there would have been a 2006 world cup planned in March or April 2006 and Robert wouldn't have had all the last minute stress of sorting out this years competition.
stox

Postby stox » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:42 pm

If there was to be a committee, it's job would be to absolutely make sure that everyone attending had fun and had plenty of games.

If we had a previoulsy established committee, then there would have been a 2006 world cup planned in March or April 2006 and Robert wouldn't have had all the last minute stress of sorting out this years competition.

So far I've played in 3 world cups and each one has had a different format. This doesn't seem right to me and I'd much rather see an established format that can be adapted to each years competition.

:gban:

these are the points. with an organizing group organizing events will be simpler, standardized and each region can request rules and addons. It brings persons nearer to event as ever. You start to feel the world cup yours.
I intentionally made much regulamentation in here. I know this, but on the other hand I must avoid that the organir can say to the comitee members "ffs, i'm making this that way and now pls shut up all". I have to limit the organizers power to say this and i have the rganizer to listen always to the forum and to its WCC members.
On the other hand, the WCC members have a position such as they are involeved in organization, thus promoting the event in their zone, collecting early bird money and fundings, and so on.
This is only a draft.... open to discussion, open also to be rejected. But pls be aware that if these idea is basically rejected, nothing will change, and the same problems BBob pointed out above will repeat in future for sure.

This was the OFFICIAL opinion expressed by unanimous decision of the Paris zone members after 3 glasses of Beaujolais

would love to give france a zone, and to see you at the next world cup (which I would consider a greater success even more than the commitee creation)... are you all willing to come to rome next year? :gban: :gban: :gban:
Marco S. alias Stox

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:00 pm

John, all you and 95% of the KOA do is just show up at a tournament with your joystick and everything is ready for you to play. Now there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is for you to assume that everything is "so simple". There is a huge amount of work involved, usually taken care by less than a handful of people. I don't see any harm in putting some order to the chaos.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Thowra
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Thowra » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: It's a GAME! Why turn it into a petty burocracy?
Latin American travel: http://www.thowra.com
Digital Equine: http://www.digitalequine.co.uk
WC 2005 Official Photographer
WC 2006 Co-Organiser
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:44 pm

Thowra wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: It's a GAME! Why turn it into a petty burocracy?
Surely you more than most have seen the stress caused through event organising? I'd have thought you'd be all for the idea in principal.