World Cup 2007, Official Invite!

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

What say thee?

Yay
94%
Nay
6%

Total votes: 16
Freshmaker

World Cup 2007, Official Invite!

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:37 pm

Ok. I've been working on this for a while now, and this is my offer to you:

I'm offering to host the Kick Off 2 World Cup 2007; in Tromsø, Norway.

Why am I doing this? I was approached by a local fella who happen to be the leader of a 4 day electronic music festival (http://www.insomniafestival.no), and they are allways looking for things they can arrange under the "umbrella" of the festival, to broathen interest and such. He knows I'm the local Kick Off 2-geek, and that I'd hosted the FAKO-International, and he was wondering wether we could arrange something for next years festival. I've been talking to Rob about this (we talked about it during the week of the FAKO-LOKO-tourney), Steve C, Alkis, Sascha, Haydn and some others. I've been wanting to keep shut about it until I have something proper to offer. I now have something to offer, and if you want what I'm offering we're on. If you don't want it, say so, and I'll leave it be.

My offer:
I'm hereby offering to host the Kick Off 2 World Cup 2007 in Tromsø.

It will be held during one out of tree weekends in October 2007. Either 13-14., 20-21. or 27-28. October. It will NOT be held any other weekend then that. The specific weekend will NOT be up for debate on the forums, as it will be decided according to the music festival. What I can promise however, is that the date will be set definately by the end of February 2007. You will then have at least 6 months ahead notice. If I can get the date sooner, I'll post it at once.

Travel-vice we're looking at 2 scenarios. Either we do the regular and people book their own flights, or we decide for a set date for arriving and leaving Tromsø, and we'll charter a plane (say from Luton/Stanstead). This part is only on the thinking-state yet, so don't take it to serious. This will anyway be cleared by the end of February, and so will thoughts about accomodation. This will provide me a possibility to give you a rather fixed budget for the entire tournament, pr person, by the end of February, based on expected attendance.

One thing I'll need your help in is machinery. This means that some of you would be expected to bring a fully working amiga, with cables, power supply and scart lead - as I simply can't be expected to get hold of the required amount up here. Everything else will be taken care of. We might even look at our first sponsored World Cup, which will help me keep the costs down.

So, basicly: No discussions now, just a Yay or Nay. Do you take me up on my offer, or don't you.
If you do, I think I can promise you a rather spectacular event, and we'll most likely get, if not free then at least, really cheap passes for the 4-day electronic music festival (this years headliners was Public Enemy - what a great show!!!).

Confirmed attendance:

1 - Jorn F
2 - Lars A
3 - Ketil B
4 - Robert S
5 - Steve C
6 - John H
7 - Alkis P
8 - Nick P
9 - Spyros P
10 - Mandhir S
11 - Mark B
12 -
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 -
20 -
Last edited by Freshmaker on Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:42 pm

I want to go further North than Tromso, but since no venue is on offer, I will have to make do with Tromso. Therefore I confirm.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:44 pm

Robert Swift wrote:I want to go further North than Tromso,

That can be arranged, no worries. ;)
The Aftertouch Podcast.
The People's Lockout!
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:06 pm

Exiting offer, Jorn! Of cource I would be happy to pay a visit in Tromso again. Count me in.
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:15 pm

hogstrom wrote:Exiting offer, Jorn! Of cource I would be happy to pay a visit in Tromso again. Count me in.

:lol: :lol: I'm counting on it. :lol: :lol:
The Aftertouch Podcast.
The People's Lockout!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:30 pm

What say thee?
Yay
Nay

Which ones means yes? :lol:

I'm in.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Good stuff Alkis. List updated. ;)
The Aftertouch Podcast.
The People's Lockout!
stox

Postby stox » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:20 am

I lived in Norway 4 years of my life, Tromso is a nice place to stay also if little cold in october. Will be glad to visit Norway again, this will be an excellent location for WC.
Norway didn't get one WC, so no arguments can be expressed on why not it shoudn't.
This is my sincerely opinion about the location, still have to say that:

I was convinced that every poll on WC2007 was surely locked down before WC2006. I'm pretty sure that this post come out now because the forum has the maximum visibility. And I really don't like this, nor I do not like the support it is getting, beacuse it seems to me a political operation more than a serious proposal.

Im convinced that Rome2007 for many reasons can be a very good choice, but you fear radical rule changes or dictatorships. So every country that is not Italy or Greece is ok. Really do not know why you have these fears, and I will not go to convince you the contary. my idea of a multinational comitee with members also outside Rome was to give a certiain direction to the WC leadership.

but I see that the situation is very clear... my proposal of democracy is inconvenient, and boicottage has begun to move. The great support this proposal immidiatly took shows me that the idea was in your mind since days.

Moreover, dear Alkis, very strange that you reply so soon and promptly without censoring or blocking the message after you promised zero tollerance. It seems to me that you apply two measures and two ways of handling... and please forgive me if I'm saying that this behaviour is very disappointing.

Please consider Rome2007 hosting retired. The match is uneven and it is a mess.... and I'm really not considering to spend energy with these premises....
Marco S. alias Stox

Missed WC 2011, 2010 and 2009: this should stop in future; WC 2008 placed 29th; WC2007 placed 15th (CO-ORGANIZER OF THE WORLDCUP); WC2006 placed 32th; WC2005 placed 24th
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:47 am

Marco, you're comparing your thread about "the need for a world cup committee" where people were arguing for 5 pages to this, which is just a preliminary inquiry and all Jorn wants is a YES or NO. Those are two completely different things.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:37 am

What Alkis said.

@Marco:

Yes, I've discussed the matter with Robert S. This has been with no other intent then to get info on hosting and what I have to think about if I'm hosting such a big tourney.
I have, in my initial post, given you the reason for why I'm even considering hosting; I was asked by the manager of the named electronic music festival if we could do this. If he hadn't asked me to, I surely wouldn't consider it seriously. As he asked me, I know I will get lots of help organising it, so it's ok for me.
I've also talked it over a bit with Alkis and Steve C and been meaning to talk it over with Gianluca and Dennis (Menace) as the music festival would like to use "our" members who are programmers and/or gamedesigners for a seminar they'll most likely have.

If the Italians would back you up in what you say, I'm fully willing to step back and let you organise. I wouldn't mind a trip to Rome at all. However, I will NOT accept any one questioning my integrity on this matter. I'm offering to host on NONE of the reasons you are describing. The reason why I'm going public with the offer now is simply that it was yesterday I got the final agreement with the festival manager, and because I don't want the same situation we had this year, with late desitions leading to difficilties for people about attending.

Now, I have to say I'm quite offended by you blaming me for beeing political about this. My initial thought when reading your post was to withdraw the offer, but you won't get that from me yet. What I'd like from you however, is an apology. I don't take it easy when having my integrity questioned.
The Aftertouch Podcast.
The People's Lockout!
BUTKUS
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby BUTKUS » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:18 am

Very nice.. Yes

Nick P
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:27 am

Marco is a funny guy.

Nice one Jorn! Yay of course.
Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:52 am

Jørn, if I withdrew my hosting of the WC everytime someone questioned my integrity then it would have been cancelled 105 times by now.

Even when you throw everything open to a vote, people will accuse you of asking the wrong questions and having a sinister agenda.

Better just get used to people sniping. My attitude has just been to stay focused, get the job done then once everyone's gone home...never organise anything again.

You've got to be resilient as this forum has a certain cluster of experts who are convinced you're doing everything wrong while having no concept themselves of what's involved in organising.