Greatest Sportsman of All Time

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Greatest Sportsman of All Time

Postby durban » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:10 pm

Who is the greatest sportsman of all time.

Not only in his field but also in other aspects of his game that similar people didn't excel, and also off the field of play (so to speak) who held himself above all other as both humble and a true person.

I think there is no-one who can even come close to Walter Payton.

I stayed up last night watching a 2 hour documentary on Sweetness, the guy is an absolute ledgend.

As a biiig Bears fan since 83 I obviously watched him a lot. He was incredible, he could pass better than most QB's, he could catch better then most WR, he could obviously run better than anyone in the game. His emotion, his influence, his attitude and his heart were increddible.

In his 12 years he only ever missed 1 game, that was in his first season and he was dropped. Bearing in mind this guy took some of the biggest hits ever how he managed to play every game was incredible.

The record for most Yards in a game was broken when he was suffering from the Flu.

The only downside of his whole career was his one and only Superbowl victory. He was basically used as a decoy (the Patriots put about 4 men on him each play!) and so had probably his shortest game ever and didn't even score. But as was acknowledged, even by the great Jim McMahon himself, the Superbowl winning team of 85 was Walter Payton!

Even now he is opening up safe areas for troubled kids, he is as humble a man as you will ever see. All he will tell you about his record career was that it was the linemen who helped him, or the coach calling the right plays. It was never down to Sweetness himself, oh no!

The guy is a ledgend and the most famous of all American Footballers, he joined the Bears at what must have been their lowest point. They were filled with no-bodys, and basically came off two seasons where they only managed 4 wins in each. He was offered contracts at all the big clubs at the time and turned em all down for the wind and snow of Chicago and stayed there for his whole career.

Fkin ledgend I tell you, this is who Icons are supposed to be.

And to me there are none better in any sport.

M
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Durbz
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Durbz » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:49 am

Too easy Durban

Sir Donald Bradman

If you can find any sportsman who dominated his sport the way Bradman did I will be amazed. No other sportsman can compare with his stats. I read somwhere that if M.Jordan was compared to Bradman, Jordan would of had to score 50 points a game (in every game) to equal Bradmans record. The man was freak.

99.9 Batting average after getting a duck on his last at bat.....Unbelievable

I also like Daley Thomson and Steven Redgrave too. Having just bought an indoor rower I have newfound respect for these animals. :-)
*No! Not that guy, I’m the other guy!*

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes"
CJ

Postby CJ » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:54 pm

Gareth Edwards.
Probably the greatest rugby player ever.
Vote best player of last Century.
Having met the guy as well he is a great and has time to talk to everyone about Rugby past and present.

Other worth a mention would be Bobby Moore a great footballer who lifted the World Cup for England :( .
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Mike Tyson...
Silver Surfer
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:43 pm

for me, I'd say Diego Maradona or Wayne Gretsky... but it is a tough question as there has been so many great athleats through history. Footie and hockey are the only sports that really interest me... but I suppose for others it is different, some may say Sergey Bubka is the greatest of all time and I couldn't really argue about that as I don't know much about him other then that he was the best of what he was doing for a loooooong time.
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:25 pm

Maybe an unpopular choice, but for me, without a doubt, it's Maradonna. In my living room I have the famous picture of him dribbling the ball with 7 Belgian players crowded around him just staring. Quality. Sad that he's a fat drug-taking bastard now though.
Thowra
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Thowra » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:02 pm

Milton
Latin American travel: http://www.thowra.com
Digital Equine: http://www.digitalequine.co.uk
WC 2005 Official Photographer
WC 2006 Co-Organiser
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:25 am

There are many athletes who absolutely dominated their sports. I would not opt for someone like Sergei Bumpka (hope the spelling is correct) who was basically competing alone in pole vault, since this is a solo sport; I would choose someone dominating a team sport where it is usually more difficult for an individual to be distinguished. So my vote goes to Diego Maradonna, who despite his natural athletic abilities carried his teams (especially almost crappy ones like the 1990 Argentina or Napoli) to success, or Michael Jordan, for him reaching basketball perfection as much as one possibly can.