Drugs...listen

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

JZ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:00 am
Contact:

Postby JZ » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:43 am

I still stand by my original opinions about the legislation of drugs.
(Beckite, I'm not trying to start an argument with you, because from what I've read you seem like a decent bloke, and I wish you all the best) BUT...

perhaps it should be looked at the why people feel the need to use drugs, be they legal or not, to escape the reality of life, rather than blaming the drugs themselves
User avatar
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, England
Contact:

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:22 am

Drugs are bad m'kay. Save your cash and get your kicks elsewhere.

Nothing clever about getting pissed out of your skull either, alcohol is a poison after all, and you only get the one body.

Bite me!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
User avatar
uncle_colin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri May 10, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Worcester

Re: Drugs...listen

Postby uncle_colin » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:19 pm

Tripod wrote: He said if it weren't illegal, he could just smoke it pure without having to stretch it with tobacco - which tunred him into a tobacco addict. Odd point, you might think, but to be perfectly honest, that is exactly what happened to me. I am now 32 and sadly smoke more than a packet a day - but I had only taken up smoking "properly" at 24! Which was quite a while after I started smoking joints, but only without me realising did I suddenly feel the urge to smoke cigarettes as well. Once in a while, once a day, and I actually don't think I bought a packet myself before I was 24. So I actually reckon the point is valid - the nicotine got to me cause a pure spliff is too expensive.


I feel this is a rather bizarre argument. I mean I believe yr story and everything but I'm sure if they legalised it the majority would smoke it with tobacco anyway, this based on my experience with canabis-users. If everyone smoked pure spliffs soceity would break down ffs. At the end of the day, tobacco screws up yr heart and lungs, and canabis turns you into a dazed,confused moron, with shit memory skills, and crap conversational skills. So yr argument is neither here nor there, because pure canabis is just as harmful as tobacco. If you get cancer (and god forbid I hope you don't), you can't seriously blame it on the fact that "it's the governments fault for not legalising cannabis". I don't mean that in physical terms either, but not only are you ruining yr mind and sitting on yr ass talking bollocks, you are also boring others around you.
I agree with you on the dangers of alcohol, it is overlooked, yr right, but alcohol gets bad press from the unfortunate few who depend on it. Going down the pub with a mate is fun, talking to a Zombie isn't.
User avatar
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Posts: 2735
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: Drugs...listen

Postby Tripod » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:46 pm

uncle_colin wrote: I agree with you on the dangers of alcohol, it is overlooked, yr right, but alcohol gets bad press from the unfortunate few who depend on it.


That was all I wanted to point out in the first place.

I feel this is a rather bizarre argument. I mean I believe yr story and everything but I'm sure if they legalised it the majority would smoke it with tobacco anyway, this based on my experience with canabis-users. If everyone smoked pure spliffs soceity would break down ffs. At the end of the day, tobacco screws up yr heart and lungs, and canabis turns you into a dazed,confused moron, with shit memory skills, and crap conversational skills.


I agree it is rather bizarre. Just minutely better would be to say that legalising Cannabis won't increase the # of cigarette smokers by a large amount.

Still, you must have had bad experiences with cannabis users - you seem very negative about them. I actually see it like alcohol - in moderation (not being stoned all day long, but maybe once a week) it is pretty harmless. To all KOA members who met me: Was I a dazed, confored moron with a shitty memory and crap conversational skills? I mean, beyond normal extent? ;) And when I smoke a spliff, I like to stay at home, watch a bit of footie, play a bit of KO2... :D As with other things, people who start a morning with a joint and spend the rest of the day with a bong have serious problems and run into more. And yes, I have also been bored by people I meet on a party who are completed wasted and not exactly talkative...
User avatar
Pee
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!
Posts: 6942
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Shaw, Oldham, Lancs, UK

Postby Pee » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:22 pm

.....and there's nothing worse or more cringeworthy than turning up at the pub/party sober when your mates/family are pissed. Makes you wonder why they are your mates etc in the first place. And we've all been bored by a pissed person and it's a hellish experience compared to a stoned person.

EVERYTHING IN MODERATION
FWA OK!!

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." GB
User avatar
Durbz
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!
Posts: 3318
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Melbourne by way of Stoke-on-Trent
Contact:

Postby Durbz » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:48 pm

My mate had to give a statment at the cop shop the other day because someone had hit his car and drove away. It was a Saturday and he just asked the copper who was taking his statment if she was ready for the Saturday nights fun and games.

The copper said the days of everyone getting drunk and fighting eachother are over, most party goers are doing "E" they just want to shag each other now, it makes our lives a lot easier.

We as human beings like nothing better than to unwind at the end of the week. The question is, what drug would help us do this without any long term side effects?
*No! Not that guy, I’m the other guy!*

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes"
User avatar
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!
Posts: 13807
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The Forest Of Dean, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Drugs...listen

Postby JamesHBeard » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:24 pm

uncle_colin wrote: At the end of the day, tobacco screws up yr heart and lungs, and canabis turns you into a dazed,confused moron, with shit memory skills, and crap conversational skills.


This is one of my favourite quotes of the year so far :lol:

I just cant stop laughing when I read it, nice one Uncle Colin..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Image
Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
User avatar
MJB
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!
Posts: 3121
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Tredworth - Gloucester UK

Re: Drugs...listen

Postby MJB » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:15 pm

uncle_colin wrote:
Tripod wrote:
uncle_colin wrote: I say legalise Marihuana of course, not a single death has ever been reported,


It's interesting that I'm made out to show ignorance in my post, which, I must say, was grossly misinterpratated, and then for you to show ignorance as well.

You say legalise canabis, despite the fact that a couple of weeks ago, the first death was reported, due to canabis poisoning. O.K, maybe only one death, but the fact that scientists are still working through the long term effects of the drug, I'd say it's rather frightning news. The drug has of course, become stronger than it was in the sixties, and this man's death was a result of over-indulgence into this particualar drug.

Also, you say legalise canabis, despite the fact that you need tobacco to smoke it in a spliff. Are you ignorant enough to think that canabis-smokers don't die of throat cancer?

Thirdly, I for one would hate to be surrounded in a soceity by pot smoking over-indulgers, who feel the need to bore the fuck out of me whilst completely forgetting what they've just said.


To comment on your first point: you say frightening, I say bollux. Scientists have made quite conclusive reports on the long term effects of cannabis and compared to the long term dangers of consuming alchol, such conclusiuons do not warrant the banning of cannabis if alchol is legal. One person dying is basically irrelevant in this discussion. Ban paracetemol :idea:

To comment on your second point: whilst you accurately identify tobacco as an integral constituent of a spliff, it is not an integral part of smoking cannabis. You can't say ban gear because people smoke (legal) tobacco.

Thirdly I'd hate it if every weekend I would have to walk down the street surrounded by obnoxious, loutish wankers who think it is funny to smash windows, throw kebabs over the pavement, start fights and throw up all over the place.

Oh I do already.
Breaking sticks for 30 years...
User avatar
SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 12:00 am

Postby SimonB » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:26 pm

Ban sugar - the silent addiction the secret killer!
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
User avatar
MJB
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!
Posts: 3121
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Tredworth - Gloucester UK

Postby MJB » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:26 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Drugs are bad m'kay. Save your cash and get your kicks elsewhere.

Nothing clever about getting pissed out of your skull either, alcohol is a poison after all, and you only get the one body.

Bite me!


All should adhere to Steve's words if you want the greatest chance of living a long safe life. If you want to perhaps experiment with exploring some of the wonderous things that have magically appeared on the planet, don't.
Breaking sticks for 30 years...
User avatar
uncle_colin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri May 10, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Worcester

Re: Drugs...listen

Postby uncle_colin » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:32 pm

MJB wrote:
To comment on your first point: you say frightening, I say bollux. Scientists have made quite conclusive reports on the long term effects of cannabis


I wasn't aware of this, to my knowledge it's widely accepted that the studies are as yet inconclusive.

MJB wrote:
One person dying is basically irrelevant in this discussion. Ban paracetemol :idea:


Oh I agree, I was merely pointing out Tripod's ignorance on a previous post.
MJB wrote:
Thirdly I'd hate it if every weekend I would have to walk down the street surrounded by obnoxious, loutish wankers who think it is funny to smash windows, throw kebabs over the pavement, start fights and throw up all over the place.

Oh I do already.


I think this has more to do with the social climate of Gloucester than the effects of alcohol on the human race.
User avatar
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!
Posts: 13807
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The Forest Of Dean, United Kingdom
Contact:

Postby JamesHBeard » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:51 pm

Who pays for all these drug addicts and alcohol abusers to get thru there addiction problem ? the tax payers ? Oh that includes me, do I get a say in this ? NO !!

I would rather my tax go towards finding a cure for cancer or towards pensioners/ world war II veterans / the disabled etc to be honest.
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Image
Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
User avatar
MJB
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!
Posts: 3121
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Tredworth - Gloucester UK

Re: Drugs...listen

Postby MJB » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:12 pm

uncle_colin wrote:
Tripod wrote: He said if it weren't illegal, he could just smoke it pure without having to stretch it with tobacco - which tunred him into a tobacco addict. Odd point, you might think, but to be perfectly honest, that is exactly what happened to me. I am now 32 and sadly smoke more than a packet a day - but I had only taken up smoking "properly" at 24! Which was quite a while after I started smoking joints, but only without me realising did I suddenly feel the urge to smoke cigarettes as well. Once in a while, once a day, and I actually don't think I bought a packet myself before I was 24. So I actually reckon the point is valid - the nicotine got to me cause a pure spliff is too expensive.


I feel this is a rather bizarre argument. I mean I believe yr story and everything but I'm sure if they legalised it the majority would smoke it with tobacco anyway, this based on my experience with canabis-users. If everyone smoked pure spliffs soceity would break down ffs. At the end of the day, tobacco screws up yr heart and lungs, and canabis turns you into a dazed,confused moron, with shit memory skills, and crap conversational skills. So yr argument is neither here nor there, because pure canabis is just as harmful as tobacco. If you get cancer (and god forbid I hope you don't), you can't seriously blame it on the fact that "it's the governments fault for not legalising cannabis". I don't mean that in physical terms either, but not only are you ruining yr mind and sitting on yr ass talking bollocks, you are also boring others around you.
I agree with you on the dangers of alcohol, it is overlooked, yr right, but alcohol gets bad press from the unfortunate few who depend on it. Going down the pub with a mate is fun, talking to a Zombie isn't.


What are you on about ? Am I the only one struggling to unserstand this ?Sorry I don't follow this nonsense whatsoever. How do you figure that pure canabis is as harmful as tobacco ? The National Toxicology Program of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services listed even smokeless tobacco in it's 10th report of carcinogens under the section headed "Known to be Human Carcinogens". I note that tetrahydrocannibol was not listed in this report even in the section headed "Reasonably Anticipated to be a Human Carcinogen". I can only deduce that you consider it as hardful as tobacco because it "turns you into a dazed,confused moron, with shit memory skills, and crap conversational skills". Yes canabis is known to affect the memory but I would hardly consider it's effects as disabaling as you would suggest. So not only do I find these comments of yours quite offensive, they are also rather erroneuos.
Breaking sticks for 30 years...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests