Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

PC Based Golf Sim

Postby durban » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:53 am

Ok I wanna get a golf game for the PC.

What should I get, whats the best at the mo.

I have Jack Nicklaus 6 (Golden Bear Challenge) which at the time it came out (3 years no) was pretty Elite, its still loads of fun as you can download about 2000 courses (about 500 real life courses).

However the modes are a bit crap, the game modes are quite varied but the career mode is non existant (you can do a crappy season mode but thats crap) and the players are poo, you have 4 basic player styles which are all runty looking.

So what is the best out there at the moment, I presume Tigers 2003 would be the best, is that out on PC?

M
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
CJ

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:05 am

Not tried Tiger 2003 but 2002 was crap.
Links is probably your best bet as there are loads of course.
Graphics look good too.
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:12 am

If you have an A1200, just try to find PGA Tour Golf AGA. Old but still the best...
Davetoast
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby Davetoast » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:14 pm

Yep, Microsoft Links is the business.
Final Whistle Crusader and President of The FWA.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:27 pm

Is Links new? Ie is there a 2003 version etc

The one I used to have was naff, or it was ok but not that much fun.

Is there a good season or career mode, thats really what I am after.

Also how many courses come with the game and are there lots of real ones to download?

Cheers,

Mark
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Davetoast
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby Davetoast » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:34 pm

It's constantly being updated mate, dunno when the last one was.

Never tried the carrer mode I'm afraid.

Loads of courses.

It's def got the sim down, as to the features I can't say.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:44 pm

Just read a couple of reviews on Amazon they all seem to say it has lots of features and the design element is cool so I can create my local course (like i did in JN6 :) )

Cheers people, it is indeed updated yearly, the current version is 2003 which I will try and get, 2004 will be out on Xbox in October, Pc in about December.

Thanks.

M
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:37 pm

The good thing about Tiger Woods 2003 is that it has a few more modes that are good for solo play - a sort called challenge mode, where from the money you earn in events (9 to 72 holes, longest drive, best chip, several team play evenst) is used to improve your stats.

The problem about the game is that on the easiest setting it's very forgiving but on the next one up it's already too tough (old 3-click-method), the downward swing being a lot faster and the the amount you can miss the center by being a lot less at the same time.

Mastering the game on the easiest level is thus too easy and on the next level it's too hard - shame! Cause otherwise I would even prefer it to Links, at least the 2002 version I still possess.

Manicx is right about the old PGA Tour Golf (from which Tiger Woods evolved) for the Amiga - it has some features in tournament play that is still missing in all the new games - being informed about what other players are doing, so you really feel like you're playing a tournament. It'll read "blabla just scored a birdie and is now in the lead with 7 under par". Very cool!
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!

Postby JamesHBeard » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:45 pm

Best golf game I have ever played is Microprose Golf for the ATARI ST. I tried LINKS for the PC but did not find it as playable.

The good thing about Microprose Golf was that your mates could come round and have a game without learning loads of stuff.

Many an evening having tournaments at my place when I was younger playing this game. :)
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
Davetoast
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby Davetoast » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:01 pm

Durbs, I forgot to mention that Links has every form of golf you've ever heard of, and then some.

There must be at least 20 different forms of the game that you can play, i.e. matchplay, Skins (n amount of different versions), Stablefords, Better Ball, and all sorts of stuff I've never heard of before.
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:38 am

Tripod wrote:Manicx is right about the old PGA Tour Golf (from which Tiger Woods evolved) for the Amiga - it has some features in tournament play that is still missing in all the new games - being informed about what other players are doing, so you really feel like you're playing a tournament. It'll read "blabla just scored a birdie and is now in the lead with 7 under par". Very cool!

Exactly. I remember playing this game on my own and still had great laugh simply because you do not feel alone in the game. Needless to say what happens if more human players compete against eachother. Graphics on the AGA Amigas are great too. Add to this that the game can be downloadable from the internet and you have one of the top golf sims for free. You just need winUAE and you are ready to go...
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:10 am

I know almost nothing about golf so I can't judge a game's realism and physics, but the most enjoyable game of the type I have played is Turf Masters on the Neo-Geo. Arcade stuff of course, but fun.
Durbz
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Durbz » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:24 am

Just bought Tiger Woods 2003 from EB, the beauty of buying from these guys is that if you don’t like it they will exchange it no questions asked.
The only reason I bought it Tripod is that you write that this game "evolved" from the old Amiga version of PGA tour golf. I remeber that being the business. I have a week to try it out, if I hate it Ill swap it for Links 2003. I’ll let you know what I think.
*No! Not that guy, I’m the other guy!*

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes"