Stephen King's novels

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Stephen King's novels

Postby Wonka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:18 am

Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect him for what he has achieved, but I do struggle to understand why his novels are regarded so highly. I have now read: The Dark Half, Salem's Lot, IT, and a short zombie story called Home Delivery.

All his books I have read have their powerful moments, but I found these moments to be very short lived and most of his writing bores me to death. I didn't read through these books because I liked them (I thought they were crap to be honest), I read through them because I wanted to learn how to write better.

I just finished Home Delivery about half hour ago, and it was the most boring story I have ever read. I was astonished how crap it was and how difficult it was to fully understand in parts.

I don't think I will pick up another piece of his work ever again, and I just wondered what you guys think of his novels. I think Stephen King is crap compared to most other writers that I know. However, I fully accept the fact that I have not read that many books, so perhaps it’s just me?
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Re: Stephen King's novels

Postby Tripod » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:11 am

I was a great fan when I was a teenager, I guess I wouldn't be anymore. Though I did recently pick up his new(ish?) "Cell" and enjoyed that, it's basically a zombie story. What I feel you should really give a try is his masterpiece The Shining, that novel should have stood the test of time, I re-read it a few years ago and was surprised how much it captivated me again. While "It" for example I loved as a teenager back in 1986 because I could relate to the kids, I doubt that's possible now.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
uncle_colin

Postby uncle_colin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:43 pm

I kinda know what you mean Wonka, but before you decide to close the book (pardon the pun) on his novels, you should definitely read a short story he wrote at the age of 19 called 'The Long Walk' (under the name Richard Bachman), and his masterpiece 'Hearts In Atlantis'. Both books AREN'T horrors, just some of his psychological dramas involving childhood dreams and mystery, and this I find is when he writes his best stuff. FFS, Stand By ME for example......

If you can't be bothered just read the first one I mentioned, it's very short and I've yet to meet anyone who's read it that hasn't loved it. You can also read his book 'On Writing' for writing tips.
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:08 pm

uncle_colin wrote:I kinda know what you mean Wonka, but before you decide to close the book (pardon the pun) on his novels, you should definitely read a short story he wrote at the age of 19 called 'The Long Walk' (under the name Richard Bachman), and his masterpiece 'Hearts In Atlantis'. Both books AREN'T horrors, just some of his psychological dramas involving childhood dreams and mystery, and this I find is when he writes his best stuff. FFS, Stand By ME for example......

If you can't be bothered just read the first one I mentioned, it's very short and I've yet to meet anyone who's read it that hasn't loved it. You can also read his book 'On Writing' for writing tips.

Thanks mate! Actually I just bought "Stephen King on writing" and I think I will give those books you mentioned a try! Yeah, I don't like Stephen King's writing, but I totally respect and appreciate what his writing achieves and that's why it interests me.
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 am

Completely agree, I have read a few of his more famous novels and they are just very overrated in my opinion.

However on the flip side I found that the Bachman books are excellent. I have read the running man and the long walk about 4 times each, I Really find that the books he wrote as a pseudonym are far superior to the SK books!
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!