Am I the only one who knows that Obama isn't black?

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

uncle_colin

Am I the only one who knows that Obama isn't black?

Postby uncle_colin » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Why does the whole world state that Obama is black? I'd like someone to educate me cos I'm really confused. He has a white mother. Surely it's misleading to state that he's black, because his mother's heritage and background is completely ignored. And anyway, a white woman can't give birth to a black person surley? (Although I admit there might be some rare genetic instances where this may of happened).

He is mixed race, nothing else, why is there a problem in saying he's the first mixed-race president of America? Colin Jackson doesn't claim to be black, so what's going on? Does 'mixed race' not exist anymore?

The colour of his skin doesn't matter of course, I just find it bizarre that people in society just seem to accept complete mistruths.
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Re: Am I the only one who knows that Obama isn't black?

Postby Rodolfo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:14 pm

Probably almost everyone in the USA is somehow mixed-race anyway. I do not know, but I guess that 'black' applies to anyone with some visible black ancestor. And who knows, maybe also because it may sell well in the elections :)

I am not sure that the colour of the skin does not matter, considering Obama took about 99% of the black vote. In the end, most of us have that tribal condition.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:22 pm

He's the first black president in the same way that Lewis Hamilton is the first black formula one champ.
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!

Postby JamesHBeard » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:48 pm

The fact the USA made a big deal out of his colour indicates to me that the place is just as racist as it ever was.

Obama is just a bloke.. his skin colour should never be a topic for conversation in a true non-racist society.
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Well... I'm very much with you on these thougths UC. I've been thinking about this question several times through the US elections. Obama is so light-coloured he should be called grey. Or possibly (very)light brown??? The blackest thing about him seems to be his hair and lips. ;)

I think it was in the movie "Cry Freedom" one of the "black" persons said to one of the "white" persons that he can't understand why we keep on calling people from Africa "black" and people from Europe "white", as very few african people are darker than brown, whild most "white" people are close to pink. :lol:
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:23 pm

:lol: Nice quote! Kinda indicates how these labels aren't that accurate sometimes.

This question was also discussed during the election on this BBC news site. As Rodolfo's already said, there is a more loose definition of 'black' being used it seems. Plus I'm sure its less of a mouthful than 'african-american' for the headline writers too.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:37 pm

I like Obama and I'm glad he got elected. He will set a fine example for black people that I hope most of them follow, and as race will indeed always come into it, it will be interesting to see what an African American with such power can achieve. Usually, these people generally don't achieve much so let's hope we see that change. Ethnicity doesn’t matter yet, but it will matter if he fails to deliver I think. I hope to see him attend some more West Ham United games too, as he is a follower of my beloved hammers and so too are his relatives!

:D
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.