USB Adaptor to Gameport; Use your Amiga Joytick for PC!

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)

Postby filippodb » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:18 pm

a cheaper alternative to stelladaptor is to buy an usb adapter like the pre-builded kit:

http://www.kickoffworld.net/wikickoff/i ... SB_adapter

it's great if you have a solder at home, you can use it to build an adaptor or even to transform your amiga joystick to an USB Joystick :o
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:50 pm

Noodlebug wrote:I got mine today, and despite a brief panic that the USB socket was the wrong shape (luckily my printer cable fitted)

I'm hoping to get a stelladaptor soon - I have a usb extension cable that I use with my memory stick to save me reaching to usb sockets at the back of the tower - should I be able to use the cable for the stelladaptor too ?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Depends.

The standard USB ports on your PC are Type A female. I didn't realise but there is another square shaped USB connection called Type B which is what is on my printer.

If you have a Type A to Type A USB cable (ie both ends are the same flat shape) it won't fit in the Stelladaptor. You need a Type A (m) to Type B (m) cable - one end flat and the other end square.

You can pick such cables up from Maplins/Radio Shack for £5-£8.
-----------------------------
Newbie for 12 years
Silver Cup runner up 2017
Bronze Cup and Best Defence runner up 2018
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:08 pm

Noodlebug wrote:Depends.

The standard USB ports on your PC are Type A female. I didn't realise but there is another square shaped USB connection called Type B which is what is on my printer.

If you have a Type A to Type A USB cable (ie both ends are the same flat shape) it won't fit in the Stelladaptor. You need a Type A (m) to Type B (m) cable - one end flat and the other end square.

You can pick such cables up from Maplins/Radio Shack for £5-£8.

Ahh - I understand! Thanks a lot for that mate! :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Loul
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Loul » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:36 pm

As I'm thinking over and over again my joystick troubles ("raised "using a seldom model that tends also to wear out) I'm considering lately either buying an arcade stick for some console whose parts could be replaced by new ones made by arcade components suppliers (like Sanwa) either having ordering a custom made one.

Anyway the trouble is that in the first case (and maybe in the second too) I'd have to find an adaptor not "from" the 9 pin atari port but to it !

Adaptators turning Xbox360 (or PS3) USB joysticks into atari compatible ones would be my dream.
Sadly I didn't found any trace of such a product...

By the way. The 1st generation of Sega Megadrive joypad did work on amiga (with at least 2 buttons working).

What about the ones from the second generation with 6 buttons ?
Do any of you tried them ?
I might consider buying a 6 buttons Megadrive Joysticks (some looks still buyable) for playing them directly on amiga provided they work !
Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges. (T. Pratchett)
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:27 am

You could always re-wire the current sticks and do away with the need for a convertor. In the old days, there was nothing complicated, so just wire directly from the switches to the relevant pin on a 9 pin connector.
Loul
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Loul » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 am

Well that's a possibility but I'm not equipped for that at all and it's been ages since I've seen a soldering iron !

Besides I'm not sure that I could easily find a ready to mod using standard parts joystick that would feel confortable for me to play kick off with...
That I could only know by chasing for them in the Parisian Console quarter which I will try to visit next week.

Also I think that a usb -> atari adaptator even with some limitations (say only for standard joysticks that don't need drivers) would be something great to find for all of us since usb sticks might be all that would remain in production in one year or two.
Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges. (T. Pratchett)
Loul
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Loul » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:21 am

After 2 months during which the Stelladaptor was sold out, I have the pleasure to let you know that it's back in stock at atariage.com

It's not the perfect adaptor (only one button working under PC) but it's a very good one (no lag and its design seems good) that I have decided to buy to go along those ancient Greek lethal weapons (still got a pair stuck on my bottom from last week :lol: ) known as C.M.S. joysticks